Why Even Bring Ballistics When Lasers Do It Better...

63 replies to this topic

#41 Xythius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:34 PM

View PostDock Steward, on 26 February 2015 - 05:23 PM, said:

Uuummmm....I don't want to argue semantics, but...

Not sure I understand what semantics you want to argue.

Edited by Xythius, 26 February 2015 - 05:34 PM.

#42 Dock Steward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 945 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:37 PM

View PostXythius, on 26 February 2015 - 05:34 PM, said:

Not sure I understand what semantics you want to argue.

I said "pretend it wasn't said," and then you said, "no, we're going to ignore it," as though pretending something didn't happen and ignoring it were different.

Edited by Dock Steward, 26 February 2015 - 05:41 PM.

#43 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:40 PM

TL:DR all the post, but in case it hasn't been said yet, Russ alluded to reducing shell count on the AC20 to 4 from 5 and increasing speed to AC5 levels in his town hall.

I use primarily UAC2 on Clan builds, which I often couple with 4-5 ERSL or SPL to good effect in non-CW. Heat efficient builds and fast reload time.

Edited by Kali Rinpoche, 26 February 2015 - 05:42 PM.

#44 Necromonger Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:42 PM

Only reason...Ballistics are more heat efficient....The top builds use a mix in order to balance weight and heat efficiency.

Edited by Necromonger Commander, 26 February 2015 - 05:43 PM.

#45 Xmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:45 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 26 February 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

You build and run dakka Dire Wolves when you/your team is playing short range and rushing the enemy.

You play Dual Gauss Vomit Dire Wolf when you/your team is playing at mid to long range.

I have a build that can handle both jobs.

#46 Ian Joshua

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:47 PM

Because my dual AC 20 to your backside hurts a lot and is fun to do?

#47 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:40 PM

View PostCrottykid16, on 25 February 2015 - 01:36 PM, said:

OK so with my Timber-S I just bought I want a hard hitter....since can only mount 2 ballistics really...what is best set up? I usually like a bit of everything on my other timbers...So shoot.

Before jets became hardlocked to pods, I ran it with 4xERML (all arm mounted, podded in the Prime left arm), 4xSSRM4, CAP, and a UAC5. After the jets got hardlocked I downgraded the UAC from a 5 to a 2 because I was forced to mount more than 2 or 3 jets... Not thrilled, but it's ok. Once the Timber Wolf D hits for c-bills I'll probably swap out the S right torso for a D and put the AC back up (or just add an S left torso pod to a D, either or).

#48 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:59 PM

one thing ballistics give you that lasers never will is high damage/heat. so its a good fall back weapon when you are red lining. granted the autocannons seem to have a lot more heat than they should, especially when you consider the need to carry ammo, and slow moving projectiles that force you to lead your targets. still you can always fall back on your ac5 (or the seldom used ac10) and do so without too much heat and with decent stopping power. machine guns and gauss are also nice to have so you can still fight in the red line while you wait for your sinks to do their job.

unless of course you are boating sinks to the point where you can fire lasers continuously, good luck with that and getting decent firepower.

Edited by LordNothing, 26 February 2015 - 07:01 PM.

#49 MysticLink

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:07 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 26 February 2015 - 06:59 PM, said:

one thing ballistics give you that lasers never will is high damage/heat. so its a good fall back weapon when you are red lining. granted the autocannons seem to have a lot more heat than they should, especially when you consider the need to carry ammo, and slow moving projectiles that force you to lead your targets. still you can always fall back on your ac5 (or the seldom used ac10) and do so without too much heat and with decent stopping power. machine guns and gauss are also nice to have so you can still fight in the red line while you wait for your sinks to do their job.

unless of course you are boating sinks to the point where you can fire lasers continuously, good luck with that and getting decent firepower.

This is it. Autocannons mixed with lasers or srms are awesome way to keep sustained damage but not high alpha damage. Clans can make use of autocannons, but I like it now that they have one disadvantage compared to IS mechs, because their lasers are simply superior as well as their ability to have xl engines and not blow up to one torso. So they still benefit from autocannons, it's just that IS autocannons are better at fighting faster targets.

I think if you make their autocannons as good as IS cannons, they should give access to all weapons to both IS and clan, because Clan will just be superior in every way.

#50 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:58 PM

clan lbxs were supposed to get a slug ammo option which would make them equivalent to is autocannons. this is also canon. so im still waiting for that.

#51 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:27 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 26 February 2015 - 07:58 PM, said:

clan lbxs were supposed to get a slug ammo option which would make them equivalent to is autocannons. this is also canon. so im still waiting for that.

Clan LBX cannons were planned to have a non-spread shot, not a single, solid slug. The C-ACs are how Clan LBX would work with non-cluster rounds, and were instituted as a stop gap. It seems getting selectable ammo types to work properly isn't even on a back burner, but put in tupperware and tossed in the fridge to (hopefully) be finished later.

#52 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:32 PM

I find the complete opposite to be true regarding ballistics vs lasers.

Hitreg wise, ballistics always register better than lasers, doesn't matter if its a locust or a direwolf, when you see your shell land on something, it scores correctly.

On the other hand, I can put 500 damage worth of laser vomit directly at a component, and if that target is moving, the damage goes everywhere or nowhere at all.

Lasers are totally unreliable unless you have a motionless target, in most cases, for me anyway.

#53 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:56 PM

View PostHammerForge, on 25 February 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

I know you wouldn't be able to tell from my K/D ratio

How do you see someone else's k/d?

#54 ThrashInc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 248 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:11 AM

View PostMister D, on 26 February 2015 - 08:32 PM, said:

I find the complete opposite to be true regarding ballistics vs lasers.

Hitreg wise, ballistics always register better than lasers, doesn't matter if its a locust or a direwolf, when you see your shell land on something, it scores correctly.

On the other hand, I can put 500 damage worth of laser vomit directly at a component, and if that target is moving, the damage goes everywhere or nowhere at all.

Lasers are totally unreliable unless you have a motionless target, in most cases, for me anyway.

I've got ~65k damage discrepancy between hits/damage dealt with UAC5s

#55 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:34 AM

View Poststjobe, on 25 February 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

Why bring ballistics? Because DAKKA, that's why.

MOAR DAKKA!

Edit: Also, PPFLD still kills faster and easier than non-PPFLD.

DAKKA is all well and good, But it just doesn't match the BOOOM BABY! of the Inner Sphere AC. Remember how you and I went around on Less damage per shell for ACs. Well Clans have it and now... ACs are not as used on Clan builds. :huh:

#56 The Ratfink

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:27 AM

I think its a clan issue only. IS auto cannons are in a good place and give good bang for buck. This is partly due to the range advantage over IS lasers. On the clan side the CERML is just such a good jack of all trades weapon because of the weight/range/dmg ratio. Running hot is the only issue but in general trading at mid range benefits clan and benefits clan laser vomit.

#57 QuantumButler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:36 AM

Lasers don't work at all if you have high ping, ballistics do.

#58 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:23 AM

Fairly sure in our last tournament series on Monday we (IS) beat the (good) Clan side 6 matches to 3.......

We were ballistics heavy except our lights, they were energy heavy except for two mechs which were streak boats (to counter our lights).

Now in the solo queue perhaps its different but we pushed them hard and they quickly hit the point where they had to pace/cease firing while we simply demolished them with volleyed fire at point blank range. The three matches they won were all ones where they caught us at LPL optimal range and we had no way to cross open areas without taking hideous damage. One we won by cap after out maneuvering them (Alpine Peaks so horrendous vs clan energy weapons), we killed most of them fast in a crossfire as they had to send in their meds/lights in advance but they had to come to us fast or lose. The other 5 matches we won with 3-6 losses from memory - primary killing was AC 20's and 5's.

Or to paraphrase - your statement isn't really accurate in organised play - there whoever controls range usually wins.

#59 Ralgas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:44 AM

View PostKali Rinpoche, on 26 February 2015 - 05:40 PM, said:

TL:DR all the post, but in case it hasn't been said yet, Russ alluded to reducing shell count on the AC20 to 4 from 5 and increasing speed to AC5 levels in his town hall.

I use primarily UAC2 on Clan builds, which I often couple with 4-5 ERSL or SPL to good effect in non-CW. Heat efficient builds and fast reload time.

Not expecting that to last long when the ebon jag releases, 81k/ph with 2 uac20/s, 4.5 tons of ammo and you haven't even touched armor yet, not to mention the hardpoints look almost as good as a jaggers (assuming the 28.5T pod space theorycrafting is accurate)

#60 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:26 AM

View PostRalgas, on 27 February 2015 - 04:44 AM, said:

Not expecting that to last long when the ebon jag releases, 81k/ph with 2 uac20/s, 4.5 tons of ammo and you haven't even touched armor yet, not to mention the hardpoints look almost as good as a jaggers (assuming the 28.5T pod space theorycrafting is accurate)

A mighty 4.5 tons of ammo or 2.25 per UAC/20?

I would love to have opponents drop with that....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users