How Do Quirks Combine?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Ralmer

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:32 PM

How do quirks combine? For example a TDR-9SE has quirks for "Large Pulse Laser Range +10%" and "Energy Range +10%". Are these capped at the largest modifier, meaning the effective range is 365*1.1 == 402m? Do they add before application, making it 365*1.2 == 438m? Or do they combine multiplicatively giving 365*1.1*1.1 == 442m?

The difference can be pretty significant, obviously. There seem to be mechs with +25% boosts to cooldown from two sources, which comes out to a +56% bonus if it's multiplicative...

#2 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:36 PM

Additively. Originally, quirks were announced per weapon - so you didn't have "Energy Range +10%" and "Large Pulse Laser Range +10%" - you had "Large Pulse Laser +20%." People pointed out that this would pidgeonhole people into playing the chassis in a certain way, so they split the bonuses down the middle, and now some 'mechs only have general quirks for some or all of their systems.

The end result is the same if you're using the specific weapon: in both cases, the range on a Large Pulse Laser is increased by 20%.

Edited by Void Angel, 25 February 2015 - 01:36 PM.

#3 Ralmer

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:40 PM

That answers it perfectly, thanks. And I assume the same is true for the weapon range & cooldown modules? If I have a +5% range module mounted on a mech with +10% to "energy" and "medium laser", I'd expect a +25% range bonus?

#4 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:41 PM

You can also add the bonus from the modules the same way.

For example the Grid Iron which has a 50% cooldown reduction quirk for gauss rifles can get a total reduction bonus of 67% with the module equipped (12%) and mech elited with fast fire unlocked (5%).

#5 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:43 PM

Exactly so.

#6 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:10 AM

ist just the base multiplied by the sum of the quirks.

#7 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:24 AM

My biggest question here is for Clan OmniMechs. Each of them has different quirks, but I have read that if you have an omnimech and add pods from different mechs, you get the quirks that that part of the Mech would give you. What is unclear to me is how they are divided up and how you can figure out what quirks apply when you build a mech with a bunch of different parts.

#8 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:35 PM

Quirks are additive. +10% energy range +10% large laser range +10% module range is a +30% range boost.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users