Good Adder Builds

62 replies to this topic

#1 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:46 PM

Hey guys. You all helped me out recently finding a variety of Raven-3L builds, and I loved the support.

However, as you might know, PGI is doing a tournament this weekend for an Adder. This is the first clan mech that has been given away in a tournament like this.

I've used plenty of clan tech, but never an adder, so I'm wondering (if money is no object whatsoever) what's a good adder build?

My only idea so far is this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...67b4500e1d92132

Edited by Night Wind, 25 February 2015 - 06:48 PM.

#2 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:04 PM

try a gauss+lrm5

#3 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:07 PM

Well you are probably not going to have access to the ADR-B arm - as that is only available through the Gift Store currently
I cannot say for sure though - as (other than the email simply saying there was going to be one) I do not know much about the event

I ran either a stock Prime, or a modified ADR-D/A
(LRM in the torso - lasers in the arms)

#4 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:26 AM

The Adder atm is kind of a crappy mech to be honest. It's better than the Mist Lynx but barely. A few builds that work well:

2 Large Pulse Laser in the LT/RT followed by heat sinks

Artemis SRM4/6 boat

LB10x, 2 ERML

LRM boating, 2 lrm10s 2 lrm5s with a laser or 2

Any low heat, low facetime option. SRMs and the LPL build seem to work best for me, albeit I throw 2 ERSLs into my arms with the LPL build. Low arm armor, but that's because those are expendable lasers anyways (I have them on there because they're your only hope against IS lights).

I tried a Gauss build and it isn't worth it. You don't have enough firepower/ammo to do more than 200 damage per regular not-amazingly-perfect match.

Edited by Pezzer, 26 February 2015 - 12:28 AM.

#5 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:34 AM

View PostPezzer, on 26 February 2015 - 12:26 AM, said:

The Adder atm is kind of a crappy mech to be honest. It's better than the Mist Lynx but barely. A few builds that work well:

2 Large Pulse Laser in the LT/RT followed by heat sinks

Artemis SRM4/6 boat

LB10x, 2 ERML

LRM boating, 2 lrm10s 2 lrm5s with a laser or 2

Any low heat, low facetime option. SRMs and the LPL build seem to work best for me, albeit I throw 2 ERSLs into my arms with the LPL build. Low arm armor, but that's because those are expendable lasers anyways (I have them on there because they're your only hope against IS lights).

I tried a Gauss build and it isn't worth it. You don't have enough firepower/ammo to do more than 200 damage per regular not-amazingly-perfect match.

boating lrms in decent elo? not really.

working builds:

sniping with 2 CERPPCs in the torsi, very well working CW build, also fun and good working as sniper in public queues.

2 LPL's in the torsi.

4 CSRM 6, great working build in the public queue, a bit too ammo short in CW.

in my opinion adders are still the best clanlights, they do have decent hardpoints in the torso which the others don't. And they pack some true firepower with good hardpoint locations. Kitfix is squishy, not fast and most hardpoints are at crappy height. Not even the JJ's make this better.

Edited by Lily from animove, 26 February 2015 - 05:34 AM.

#6 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:47 AM

As others have said: 2 LPLs in torsos.

Also LV: 1LPL, 3ML

Can also do smash builds with SRMs. Streaks are seen in comp but pretty lousy in a PUG.

I loved dual ERPPC when it came out but unless it gets major velocity quirks, LPL are flat better.

It's not a great mech, but it's better than its rep.

#7 Dino Might

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:56 AM

I prefer Gauss + 2 ERMediums.

Can fit 30 ammo if you strip the left arm down, use left side as shield. Get about 300 damage and a couple of kills in an average match.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d4c757a0fcd4748

Edited by Dino Might, 26 February 2015 - 08:58 AM.

#8 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 26 February 2015 - 05:47 AM, said:

Also LV: 1LPL, 3ML

This one.

#9 fyurian

• PipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:11 AM

4 CSRM6
3 CSRM6 + CERPPC (CERLPL for better heat)
2 CERLL + 2CERML

#10 zeta44

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:19 PM

I run a hybrid A/D build:
Left arm/right arm: SRM-6 (ADR-A omnipod)
Right torso: S-SRM-6 (ADR-D omnipod)
Left torso: LRG laser (ADR-A omnipod)
Center torso: flamer (fixed)
Anything else goes to heatsinks and ammo

It works pretty well, just stick with the assault and heavy mechs, when the brawl starts wait a few seconds before running out of cover and firing a payload of missiles into the nearest enemy mech then retreat back to cover, or continue running around the enemy team (at your own risk) causing havoc. My best game was a win with 4 kills and over 300 damage

#11 Porcorosso101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 122 posts
  • LocationUK, Berkshire

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:16 AM

2 ERLL
2 SSRM6s

Long range support...If any light wants to take me...streaks to the face!

#12 BUDFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:38 AM

The Adder is a great mech and undeserving of its bad reputation.

It's slow for a light, but its armour and firepower make up for that, making it (with the right build) lethal to other lights. I will quite happily go up against two of any light on my own. I scored a couple of 700+ dmg and one 800+ dmg on the first day of playing this mech, averaging 3-4 kills on those games. Even on sucky games it can hold its own and normally I can get at least one kill with it. In fact (other than when the raven 3L was super powerful back in the day) this for me at least, is the most effective light mech I tried, and I've got through most of them now.

Another bonus is in one way it's the opposite to the Warhawk, which people mistake for a Direwolf and always primary. People see an Adder and think, meh, going to ignore him and due to that alone, improves survivability. But tbh, feel free to disagree with me, because the more people that shun this mech, the better ;)

...if only it had ECM, maybe one day we will get a Hero Adder ECM capable, mmmmmmmm.

#13 Porcorosso101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 122 posts
  • LocationUK, Berkshire

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:52 AM

With the starting twin ERPPCs build, I realised that just plain suxs. Don't use twin ERPPCs! A lot of people in a PUG match slammed it.

I added more OMNI pods and now its a fine light mech when it has torso weapons. Yes its slowish and no JJ but the amount of heavy weapons it can carry with 35 tonnes and its hill peeking skill...not to be sniffed at.

Its got a bad rep which is an up hill struggle to correct...

#14 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:32 AM

View PostBUDFORCE, on 02 March 2015 - 04:38 AM, said:

The Adder is a great mech and undeserving of its bad reputation.

This seems plausible. It can carry pretty nice weaponry for its tonnage.

View PostBUDFORCE, on 02 March 2015 - 04:38 AM, said:

It's slow for a light, but its armour and firepower make up for that, making it (with the right build) lethal to other lights. I will quite happily go up against two of any light on my own.

Weird thing about this is that I solo'd probably at least half a dozen of these guys with my Locust (I was leveling my brand-new 1E and grinding points; two birds, one stone) over the course of the challenge. The default loadout is pretty bad for light fighting, because PPC projectiles are a little slow, even with the TC, which makes them tough to hit with when your target is going over 50% faster than you and can stop on a dime. On the other hand, if a streak-boating Adder manages to actually secure a lock against me in my silly green death-machine, it's pretty much over for me. I guess what I'm saying is it isn't unequivocally good against other lights every time, it depends on your build. And it's not a Firestarter.

#15 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:23 AM

View PostPorcorosso101, on 02 March 2015 - 02:16 AM, said:

2 ERLL
2 SSRM6s

Long range support...If any light wants to take me...streaks to the face!

Except if they have ecm. TAG is nice to have..

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 02 March 2015 - 11:26 AM.

#16 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:59 AM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 02 March 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

Except if they have ecm. TAG is nice to have..

Does CAP negate ECM like BAP? If so, I'll take that over TAG any day of the week. The thing is already short on energy hardpoints.

#17 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:10 PM

Here are a few I think work well:
LPL + 3 ERML
3 ERLL
4 MPL

Here are a few that I like, but are of dubious value:
Gauss + 2 ERML
4 SRM6 + Artemis

Here is one I want to try, but have never actually run because I think it could be pretty bad:
UAC20 + 2 ERSL

#18 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:11 PM

My three go-to Adder builds:

2 x CLPL in the -A torsos, hill humping machine
2 x CERLL 2 x CERML another hill humping machine but with better alpha potential when the opportunity arrives, great support 'mech
4 x CMPL for those times you need to stick with the group in brawling range

I have been experimenting with "spladder" lately and it definitely has potential--the 4 x C-SRM6 build with 6 tons ammo and Artemis. My first dropped in it I solo'd one of the usual AC/20 centurions and I found it encouraging. The limited range though......

Builds I tried in the past--

LB20x Adder
UAC20 Adder
Gauss Adder

all with 3 tons ammo and 2 CERSL as backup. The gauss Adder was sneaky as hell and the other two could really catch people off guard as well but until the flamer is unlocked I will not be running them anymore.

Edited by Kain Thul, 02 March 2015 - 12:12 PM.

#19 DAEDALOS513

• The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:17 PM

View PostTim East, on 02 March 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

Does CAP negate ECM like BAP? If so, I'll take that over TAG any day of the week. The thing is already short on energy hardpoints.

What is CAP?

#20 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

View PostDAEDALOS513, on 02 March 2015 - 01:17 PM, said:

What is CAP?

Clan Active Probe, which should actually be Active Probe. For some reason the clans drop the Beagle part.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users