Cw In Beta For How Long?

43 replies to this topic

#1 HellJumper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:44 PM

well its a simple question. cause i dont think we are beta testing anything... so why put a beta with its name??

beta in my opinion is something that is work in progress, needs a lot of work to be done on it (balancing, major changes etc)...what we have now is not changes i would say, its more like addition of more and more stuff (maps and game modes that is)..which was happening in live server as well..

so why put a beta on it?

ya i know many of you will say "as long as it takes"...

but being part of beta in a decent number of games i have usually seen things being changed a lot on existing stuff, adding new stuff, changing that stuff and then adding more...

but here all i see is additon of more stuff (which is a good stuff)...so whats happening?

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:51 PM

Because beta shield.

#3 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:52 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 25 February 2015 - 09:51 PM, said:

Because beta shield.

to shield what? i mean we dont see any major development happening in current stuff or future updates (except addition of stuff)

no changes, no development road map for CW (unless i have missed it) so whats to shield?

#4 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:29 PM

I'd probably say about six months if we're lucky. If not the rest of this year. The way they do things though, the game always feels like beta when they add a new feature.

#5 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:42 PM

I think that PGI set themselves up for criticism by not setting any kind of concrete goals for when to pull the Beta tag off of CW.

That said, it's in Beta because it is still being heavily tweaked. Drop deck weight allowance changes, figuring out how effective/common the "zerg rush" strategy is and how to make it not overpowering, defenders will soon launch out of garages instead of being air dropped, tweaks to dropship weapons, attack lane algorithm behavior, what rewards motivate players to change or keep factions, dedicated counter-attack modes, 4v4 scouting mode, rewards for varying tiers of loyalty, etc.

SO, yeah, it's still considered Beta because it is undergoing a lot of work. And I fully expect the map to be reset when the Beta tag is dropped, probably around the same time as Steam release is my guess.

#6 mekabuser

• Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:49 PM

forever.. this game is still beta imo.
still.. when you bump into something there is no AUDIO feedback. or jolt or anything.. its WORSE than mechwarrior 4 in that very IMPORTANT regard.
iow, no collision.. because. well gee they just cant do it now can they?

i wonder how many of you know there was collision.. and yeah, we know it sucked. but at least there used to be something

the game runs like garbage in CW.
they still havent done something relatively simple like .. idk.. ramp up the dropship defenses if team is getting base *****..
A '\ \
common
occurrence.

did i mention the game runs like garbage in cw..?
if they put one percent of the effort into the actual GAME that they put into selling us crap maybe they would get people to actually spend money other than the compulsive fools who just buy every new toy because .

So keep pumping out the crap

#7 Divine Retribution

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 648 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:55 PM

Beta....

I guess I'll be the honest one and call it what it is, the CW alpha phase. Once the rest of the basic pre-planned features are in and only tweaking/bugfixes remain I'll call it a beta. That period should last a while. Once most of the kinks are worked out with only minor fixes/tweaks remaining and the focus turns to maintenance/new content (that wasn't part of the original CW plan) I'll think of it as released.

Beta... hmph.

Not knocking CW, just trying to call an apple an apple rather than apple pie.

#8 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:50 PM

so its beta cause its in early alpha? which needs a lot of stuff to be planned and added...so they will do this all along..and keep it as beta??

hmm wont that be bad for the game??

#9 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:26 AM

View PostHellJumper, on 25 February 2015 - 11:50 PM, said:

so its beta cause its in early alpha? which needs a lot of stuff to be planned and added...so they will do this all along..and keep it as beta??

hmm wont that be bad for the game??

Unfortunately, they're trying to make up for mistakes made long ago that can't be undone. This is one way it could have been done better.

#10 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:34 AM

View PostTriordinant, on 26 February 2015 - 12:26 AM, said:

Unfortunately, they're trying to make up for mistakes made long ago that can't be undone. This is one way it could have been done better.

so having a beta tag helps them with it?

#11 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:21 AM

View PostHellJumper, on 26 February 2015 - 01:34 AM, said:

so having a beta tag helps them with it?

It's called using cover... :ph34r:

#12 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:47 AM

One of :ph34r: "them" already said "Star Map BETA" would take most of 2015. Which is good. Want to know why? Because it means they have big plans for it. Which means alot more content like logistics, more maps, and more features.

The only down side is if they stop working on other features but since :ph34r: "they" said a priority is also the "New User Experience" it means they are working on other "stuff" to. :)

Another thing. If Mechwarrior is going on steam, then they may stockpile a cool update or two till after it does so as to amaze any new players with a cool update or two. Which kind of sucks. :(

Edited by Johnny Z, 26 February 2015 - 07:56 AM.

#13 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:49 AM

View PostHellJumper, on 25 February 2015 - 09:52 PM, said:

to shield what? i mean we dont see any major development happening in current stuff or future updates (except addition of stuff)

no changes, no development road map for CW (unless i have missed it) so whats to shield?

Because they can say they'll work on it and it'll be super deep in 60 to 90 days, rather than what it is, which is a shallow snoozefest of grinding powerpoints for the java map.

Apparently, the betashield's working.

#14 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:58 AM

Just another 1036 years and it 'full release'

#15 Strykewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts
  • LocationRogue River, Oregon

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:00 AM

Forever? :P

#16 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:02 AM

View PostTriordinant, on 26 February 2015 - 05:21 AM, said:

It's called using cover... :ph34r:

cove from who or why?? unless they themselves

View PostVassago Rain, on 26 February 2015 - 08:49 AM, said:

Because they can say they'll work on it and it'll be super deep in 60 to 90 days, rather than what it is, which is a shallow snoozefest of grinding powerpoints for the java map.

Apparently, the betashield's working.

working...well idk...CW i dont see more than 100 players trying to attack or defend like 4 planets.... so whats working here?
think that the game is not even close to the mark..they dont need cover

#17 Creovex

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:20 AM

The best answer regarding you question OP..... "As long as it takes to get it right"

#18 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:53 AM

View PostHellJumper, on 26 February 2015 - 10:02 AM, said:

so whats working here?

The beta shield.

#19 Hospy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:59 AM

It's just semantics.

War Thunder has been in beta for years and will continue to be in beta for probably several more years.

#20 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:11 PM

View PostHellJumper, on 25 February 2015 - 09:44 PM, said:

well its a simple question. cause i dont think we are beta testing anything... so why put a beta with its name??

beta in my opinion is something that is work in progress, needs a lot of work to be done on it (balancing, major changes etc)...what we have now is not changes i would say, its more like addition of more and more stuff (maps and game modes that is)..which was happening in live server as well..

so why put a beta on it?

ya i know many of you will say "as long as it takes"...

but being part of beta in a decent number of games i have usually seen things being changed a lot on existing stuff, adding new stuff, changing that stuff and then adding more...

but here all i see is additon of more stuff (which is a good stuff)...so whats happening?

With the addition of CW we officially have entered the beta phase. holding a "launch party" and calling it "finished" is legal jiber jam to fill some contractual obligations. What people have been playing and paying for is an ALPHA.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users