- - - - -

I Know This Is A Multiplayer Online Game And All

14 replies to this topic

#1 Taradele

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBoardwalk, Capellan Confederation

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:37 AM

And that the key to victory or having your 'Mech shot out from under you s vital to forming friends and making teams, however, while I do have some friends, none of them ever want to Drop with me, and while I am still not good (but getting better every day) I was wondering (if this is the right forum to post this, sorry, I should have asked first about that) if any players who are serious about playing at least twice a week or more or anyone, really, who prefers team battles which everyone actually works together, if we could be friends so we can Drop a few missions and see how we fair as a unit and team work?

P.S. -
I notice that there is a redeem link you can click on, but I was wondering how you get for that? Is it something you have to pay for, a special event or something else entirely?

Edited by Taradele, 26 February 2015 - 02:39 AM.

#2 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:24 AM

Well there is the merc hiring hall, the house and the clans forum, depending on which you prefer to join. There are some amongst the merc units that just play for fun if you're not into the competitive stuff.

You can find them at mwo forums - mwo universe - community warfare.

Edited by dragnier1, 26 February 2015 - 03:26 AM.

#3 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:30 AM

View PostTaradele, on 26 February 2015 - 02:37 AM, said:

And that the key to victory or having your 'Mech shot out from under you s vital to forming friends and making teams, however, while I do have some friends, none of them ever want to Drop with me, and while I am still not good (but getting better every day) I was wondering (if this is the right forum to post this, sorry, I should have asked first about that) if any players who are serious about playing at least twice a week or more or anyone, really, who prefers team battles which everyone actually works together, if we could be friends so we can Drop a few missions and see how we fair as a unit and team work?

P.S. -
I notice that there is a redeem link you can click on, but I was wondering how you get for that? Is it something you have to pay for, a special event or something else entirely?

If you haven't already done so, install teamspeak and check out some of the servers dedicated to MWO. There are usually a few players online willing to group up with you at any time of day.
Having a mic for voice comms is recommended but not mandatory, most players won't mind if you don't have one.

Get teamspeak here:
http://www.teamspeak...?page=downloads

This is where you'll find the "official" teamspeak server,
http://nogutsnogalaxy.net/

Some other servers you might want to add.

Comstar Relay Europe (Comstar EU) Available Slots: 512 Man TS3 server
Address: eu1.mech-connect.net Password: hG5!4Dg*

Comstar Relay North America (Comstar NA) Available Slots: 512 Man TS3 server
Address: na1.mech-connect.net Password: WordofBlake

Edit: There are also faction specific and unit specific servers, you can find most of those in their respective faction subforums.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 26 February 2015 - 03:34 AM.

#4 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:30 AM

I will say this much. I was ready to quit this game till I joined a unit. Check all the units out there you can stand. Each one is a different flavor, personality and playstyle. Make sure your goals are the same as theirs before you choose because the friends you make can determine how good a time you have here.

I found the Seraphim fit what I needed in my gaming life. Maybe it'd fit you too, but do not take anyone else's word for it. You'll know who's right for you.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:56 AM

I am with the Praetorian Legion, we enchourage our members to form Lances, and sugest that each Lance tries to drop together a few times a week, this sounds like it is what you are looking for, many units do something simular.

As suggested go to the recrutiment forums and try to find a unit that looks like a good fit for you, while PL and the Sepapham may be good starting points, as others have said I suggest looking at several units to try to find a good fit.

I notice you are with Liao, did you take a temporary or a perminant contract? if you have a preminant contract you will have to pay to break the contract to join a unit ingame, because as part of a unit you have the Units contract not your own.

If you prefer Liao then look for a unit in the House Liao recruitment threads, Koniving one of the New Player Help regulars is part of a Liao unit, it may be worth contacting him if you do want to stay with Liao.

If you are after taking part in CW and you only have IS Mechs I strongly advise against taking a contract with a Clan unit (you can only use faction relevent Mechs in CW), if you have both Clan and IS Mechs then a Merc Corp may be better because they will keep switching between factions for CW

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 26 February 2015 - 04:01 AM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:13 AM

I can understand people not wanting to group drop. Unlike solo dropping, the group queue actually has no balancing mechanic beyond trying to match up mech weights / classes. So there is no skill balance in the group queue. This usually doesn't detour me, though, as I just use a few builds that work really well in pairs or I bring along a "Carry Harder" build to haul myself through the match.

I confess when I get on is sporadic, but if I'm posting on the forum I can just as easily jump on MWO. As mentioned in the past, just quote me somewhere or drop me an IM (click my name here, then "send a message") to let me know you want to play together and I'll hop right in. Notifications for messages on the forum pop up the moment a page on it is loaded.

Currently I just squeeze in a few matches a day unless asked so I don't burn myself out (I've been playing since pre-summer 2012).

If you do catch me on MWO in the morning I'm just screwing around, if I'm on MWO in the evening then it's usually with one or more members of Zhizhu (more likely to be participating in CW then). Either way I can bring you in tow as well.

P.S. -

Redeem is for "Gift codes" and some promotional programs. Some examples include Dawn the fairy, the Dice from some audio application, the PC Gamer skin on the original 8 mechs, and a few others. During holidays, redeem codes such as "HappyHolidays" are spread around to each player's account email which give out free premium time. Being especially helpful used to award "Post of the month" rewards which gave out free premium time or other goodies.

I won it once or twice. First time I didn't even know about it for about a week where someone sent me a message about it. The second time I was messaged directly by the moderator hosting it.

Anyway.
Here's Dawn the fairy (left hand side). Open beta, taken between October and November 2012. I zoom in on it during the first minute.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:36 AM

Actually one thing I noticed is that you're either on in my evenings or super early mornings (posts seem to be 8 PM and 5 AM typically for me), so I was also wondering what time zone are you on?

#8 Taradele

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBoardwalk, Capellan Confederation

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:45 PM

View PostKoniving, on 26 February 2015 - 04:13 AM, said:

I can understand people not wanting to group drop. Unlike solo dropping, the group queue actually has no balancing mechanic beyond trying to match up mech weights / classes. So there is no skill balance in the group queue. This usually doesn't detour me, though, as I just use a few builds that work really well in pairs or I bring along a "Carry Harder" build to haul myself through the match.

I confess when I get on is sporadic, but if I'm posting on the forum I can just as easily jump on MWO. As mentioned in the past, just quote me somewhere or drop me an IM (click my name here, then "send a message") to let me know you want to play together and I'll hop right in. Notifications for messages on the forum pop up the moment a page on it is loaded.

Currently I just squeeze in a few matches a day unless asked so I don't burn myself out (I've been playing since pre-summer 2012).

If you do catch me on MWO in the morning I'm just screwing around, if I'm on MWO in the evening then it's usually with one or more members of Zhizhu (more likely to be participating in CW then). Either way I can bring you in tow as well.

Redeem is for "Gift codes" and some promotional programs. Some examples include Dawn the fairy, the Dice from some audio application, the PC Gamer skin on the original 8 mechs, and a few others. During holidays, redeem codes such as "HappyHolidays" are spread around to each player's account email which give out free premium time. Being especially helpful used to award "Post of the month" rewards which gave out free premium time or other goodies.

I won it once or twice. First time I didn't even know about it for about a week where someone sent me a message about it. The second time I was messaged directly by the moderator hosting it.

Anyway.
Here's Dawn the fairy (left hand side). Open beta, taken between October and November 2012. I zoom in on it during the first minute.

Thanks, you were a great help and that video was cool. I ended up watching it at least 3 times just studying all the moves made haha

#9 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:00 PM

And seriously look at the hiring halls - under the factions - Inner Sphere, Clans, Merc ... find one that fits your personality and give it a try; you'll find folks who are similar enough to your play style and needs that way. It may seem a bit daunting, but seriously not all of them bite.

#10 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:10 PM

There is a 2 hour redeem prem time that is redeemable once clicked on after download etc.

Also, if you mean the actual redeem button right next to the MC button, that is only if you are gifted something and given the code to activate the gift, or if PGI is feeling swell and gives us stuff (like redeem codes like "HOLIDAY2014" or similar).

Holiday 2014 is over, though I suspect PGI will give more stuff this year as it goes. :) (Though most through challenges, some may be secret on twitter, etc)

Edited by luxebo, 26 February 2015 - 11:10 PM.

#11 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:07 AM

just to add wih regards to redeem, if you buy (or recive codes for) something in the gift store:
https://mwomercs.com/gifts
redeem is how to claim it

#12 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:42 AM

Also remember that you have a plethora of choices in clan play types and factions. Shop around and you will find everything from competitive, semi-competitive and relaxed play groups in MWO. The Brethren, my group (shameless plug),is mostly casual with one team of competitive. Check us all out the hiring forums and see what best suit you!

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:45 AM

View PostTaradele, on 26 February 2015 - 06:45 PM, said:

Thanks, you were a great help and that video was cool. I ended up watching it at least 3 times just studying all the moves made haha

You're welcome, but that was old-old. Back then there was a repair and rearm, no XL engines, and only standard heatsinks. You can kinda see how I got around the heat issues by using only low-heat weaponry (and an Atlas that went only 30+ kph to cheapen the repair costs for engines).

I'm gonna need to make some newer Catapult vids as I don't have any since the Clans came out.

On a side note it looks like you come on in my evenings, so while I won't be available during the weekend, I'll try to pop on around the times you do during the week and I can bring you into a private match so you can practice. Lets play together during my evenings starting Monday if we can. ^_^

Now if you want a good video to watch, I recommend this one. At a certain point during the fight the minimap area will be covered with an exterior camera man's perspective synched up to the fight.
Timber Wolf + Hellbringer versus two inferior Summoners, all mechs pure stock and No Hud.

(Good remix of the MW2 soundtrack in the background too.)

The one thing about that video is you will notice that I did not do any torso twisting; I relied heavily on jumping and encircling to spread damage; this is because I'm more of a DPS player that normally pumps my armor to the front ( a bad habit I might add). The other Summoner does quite a bit more torso twisting to spread damage.

I have another one here. Pay attention more to the Highlander than the Dire Wolf. It's recorded from both perspectives, and is a stock Dire Wolf versus a stock Highlander (single heatsinks, etc). The Highlander wins by a landslide. My Dire Wolf side of the video is narrated with text. His Highlander side not so much.
Spoiler

Interesting note: In third person, Clan mechs almost always lose against IS and this is before the quirks PGI added to enhance the IS mechs. This is because firepower is spread with the mech's movement (which is not the case in first person as all mech movement is ignored and does not affect aim).

Edited by Koniving, 27 February 2015 - 11:03 AM.

#14 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:52 AM

Hit me up whenever you want. Just be ready to get Silkified

#15 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

Although this match has low quality, what can make the group queue so much fun is having good teammates in coms that like to coordinate with one another.

The music was put in as we were playing so that makes this even funnier for me IMHO from a technical point.

Remember, Group queue tries to balance the averaged elo of your group, leading to huge skill disparities. That is why roflstomps are much much more common in the group queue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users