12 replies to this topic

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:21 AM

The other day I got to watch the movie Fury. The trailer for the movie is below.

The movie itself is well done, however it is extremely violent, and very blood splattered. If you don't have a strong stomach, have a plastic bucket handy. Even one of the characters in the movie lost his cookies.

#2 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:24 AM

terribly unrealistic at the end. those grenades in the tank, there should not have been any good looking corpses to cover at the end with a blanket.

#3 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:37 AM

Good movie as long as you do not expect it to be a documentary.

#4 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:55 AM

View PostKalimaster, on 26 February 2015 - 08:21 AM, said:

The movie itself is well done, however it is extremely violent, and very blood splattered. If you don't have a strong stomach, have a plastic bucket handy. Even one of the characters in the movie lost his cookies.

From experience, war is not for the faint of heart. It IS violent and unpleasant.

Saving Private Ryan was the first movie to really give an accurate and graphic depiction of combat. Fury is very much in the same vein.

#5 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:03 AM

I liked it, but it only had one actual tank battle, and for a tank movie... that's nowhere near enough! 3/5*

#6 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:31 AM

Shermans were never meant to fight other tanks.

US tanks, particularly the Sherman, were meant to be used in a cavalry type role in support of infantry and for reducing fortifications in the assault. Anti-tank duties were relegated to open-topped Tank Destroyers and towed anti-tank guns. This is the big reason that we lost 4 to 5 Shermans for every German Panther or Tiger we took out.

The premise for Fury, a lone tank platoon in support of an infantry push, is very much in line with how our tanks were utilized in World War 2.

#7 BigBenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 571 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:33 PM

View PostMarineTech, on 26 February 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

Shermans were never meant to fight other tanks.

US tanks, particularly the Sherman, were meant to be used in a cavalry type role in support of infantry and for reducing fortifications in the assault. Anti-tank duties were relegated to open-topped Tank Destroyers and towed anti-tank guns. This is the big reason that we lost 4 to 5 Shermans for every German Panther or Tiger we took out.

The premise for Fury, a lone tank platoon in support of an infantry push, is very much in line with how our tanks were utilized in World War 2.

You're right for the most part. Ther Sherman was very much designed to be a direct support vessel for infantry, however the M4A3 (W) with the 76mm gun was able to go against the Panzer III's, IV's, and V's (to a lesser degree) and compete. However, the HE capability was diminished enough that the 75mm was never fully left behind. All this, you probably already know.

I thought Fury was entertaining. The early engagement vs German defensive positions and the 4 vs Tiger battle were somewhat textbook (though the spacing of the Tiger battle was a bit close, imo). The ending battle was a stretch, but enjoyable non the less.

#8 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:03 PM

The actual tank fights were pretty good. They could have cut out a good chunk in the middle as it was just bad. Wish they had more of the tank would have made it much better. Seemed like a missed opportunity to me.

#9 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:33 PM

The tank battle is pretty unrealistic though, even for people who played World of Tanks and War Thunder Ground Forces. I did pick up the special Fury tank offer on World of Tanks, the offer only lasted from October to December 2014, which you get "Fury", the Sherman Easy 8 as portrayed in the movie, along with the crew from the movie (Wardaddy and all).

The E8 could have punctured the Tiger 1 frontally if it choose to use APCR and at close ranges, the solid AP shot. There is no need for hit it on the back; flank sides are enough to nail a Tiger 1 for all Shermans, including those using the 105mm howitzer.

Tiger tactics: when confronting the enemy, turn the corner of the tank in such a way that it faces the enemy in a diamond formation. This means that no armor faces the enemy in a full frontal position and everything is slopped. This is one of the reasons it is difficult to confront a Tiger one on one, and is best to confront a Tiger with many,

The name Wardaddy is taken from the nickname of a real life tanker, Lafayette G Pool.

http://forum.warthun...fayette-g-pool/

His tank has a nice name to it: "In the Mood".

Another famous Sherman, the "Cobra King" aka "First in Bastogne".

http://forum.warthun...-the-m4a3e2-75/
(The game did answer that request and made Cobra King a purchasable premium tank)

The Sherman was the first to break thruogh the siege of Bastogne, and became the most famous Sherman in the war. It was somehow lost in another operation. Then in 2008, the tank was rediscovered serving as a monument in a town in Germany. and upon confirmation of its serial numbers, the hulk was shipped back to the US for museum restoration.

http://www.stripes.c...ra-king-1.86612

Tiger 131 is a real working Tiger tank used in the Fury film. It is run and operated by the Bovington Museum in the UK.

http://www.39-45war.com/tiger131.html

It was captured by the British in 1943, making it an early Tiger 1 variant, and it seems it didn't go down without a nasty fight, since even the heavily armored Churchill tanks are turned into Swiss Cheese by Tigers. Allied Intelligence had a field time with the captured Tiger, and after the war, it ended up in with the Bovington musuem.

The original engine was no longer running so it was replaced by a working engine from a Tiger II tank. This is consistent to the later variant of the Tiger 1 that had the same engine used on the Panthers and Tiger IIs. Today, to help raise funds for the Tank Museum and the restoration of more tanks, you can even buy a ticket to ride on this tank!

http://www.warhistor...-tiger-131.html

The Tiger 1 H1 tank used in War Thunder appears to be heavily based on the Bovington Tiger, though their just released Tiger 1 Ausf E tank, appears based on the Tiger tank in the Kubinka Museum.

Edited by Anjian, 26 February 2015 - 11:38 PM.

#10 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:55 AM

The movie went from being fairly realistic in the first half, to slowly losing that sense of realism and jettisoning it completely by the end. If they just ended the movie with the the Tiger fight, I would have been a little happier, even though the the uber-short distances were indeed cheesy and a little to videogame like. The 76mm gun indeed could have penetrated the Tiger I's armor from almost any side.

The end battle however was a complete dismissal of reality however. It was another, "Let's kill insane numbers of faceless Germans, in a fight that makes no sense" moment, echoing Saving Private Ryan's ending, only more ridiculous.

Personally, I wish Hollywood would just grow up and try to make a few more believable stories. I liked the treatment that the NVA received in "We Were Soldiers," showing them as people on the other side rather just mindless killers. Fury started off doing a good job with this, but lost it's way by the end.

Overall, I will still recommend the movie to action fans and war buffs, but I'm a little disappointed that it feels like a wasted opportunity.

Edited by Greenjulius, 04 March 2015 - 09:00 AM.

#11 EinDinHander

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:16 PM

Killing eachother. Praying to the same God. Funded by the SAME central bank groups.

Unfortunately, this is history.

Not to say H1tler wasn't bad and didn't want the world to himself, other people also do, and beat him. I fear them more, than the one who lost. Heh.

Edited by EinDinHander, 04 March 2015 - 07:17 PM.

#12 Vandul

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:46 AM

There wouldnt have been any grenades if they had locked the hatches shut.

#13 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

View PostGreenjulius, on 04 March 2015 - 08:55 AM, said:

The end battle however was a complete dismissal of reality however. It was another, "Let's kill insane numbers of faceless Germans, in a fight that makes no sense" moment, echoing Saving Private Ryan's ending, only more ridiculous.

That pretty much sums up my feelings about the movie. Visually, it was quite good. But the end battle was really disappointing. Basically it went like "Let's throw wave after wave of our soldiers frontally against that stranded tank that won't go anywhere!"
When the Germans were shown marching, they carried dozens of Panzerfausts. But suddenly they only have about 3 left. They run away from the tank instead of towards it, which is stupid. They could have climbed it and destroyed it with grenades.
Then, after all the shooting is done, they finally remember to throw some smoke grenades.
Just a badly written battle all in all.
I always hate it when enemies are depicted as dumb idiots so the heroes can shine brightly. It's a sign of bad writing when the heroes don't manage to excel on their own. And in a "historical" movie it's twice as bad. Showing a unit of veteran German soldiers acting like a troupe of mindless idiots isn't believable. That movie could have been a lot better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users