GPU: 2x Asus Matrix GTX 980 @ 1506/2100
RAM: 16GB Mushkin DDR3 @2133
Drive: 2xSSD RAID 0
Mobo: Asus Rampage 4 Black

23000 Firestrike
46000 Catzilla
Farcry 4 @ 100 FPS average ultra settings in 1440p
Watchdogs @ over 100 FPS Average ultra settings in 1440p

Why does mechwarrior run like crap?! Fresh install of windows, all hardware verified working properly....

MWO Settings;
Everything on low
64bit
DX9
Force SLI mode 1 in drivers.

By crap let me clarify. While the game scoreboard is loading, before the start of the match, I actually see 80% GPU use, and rendering in the 400FPS range. As soon as the game starts, on CW maps FPS drops to 120ish, and in normal maps its 170ish. Then when the actual fighting starts, depending on which map it will go down in the 40-100 range and stay there until most of the enemy team is dead. As the frame rate drops so does GPU usage. If I dont lock the cards at boost max speed, the GPU use dips so low the cards actually declock down to 1088mhz making the problem even worse....

Anyone else find it ridiculous that a $4500 gaming rig is not capable of running MWO properly at 120hz to match the monitor, but runs everything else flawlessly and benchmarks in the top 1% of global scores consistently?!

Edited by Claviger, 26 February 2015 - 09:43 AM.

#2 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:35 AM

SLI is probably still buggy so don't force SLI disable one card and run it single.
Move the game to DX11.

Other than that what is your definition of crap?

#3 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:38 AM

look below at my system, i run MWO on basically max settings for an avg of 52-60fps vsync on... comm warfare 40-60.... no reason in the world u need to run SLI for mwo with 980's, turn sli off see what happens and apart from that yea what DV said what is crap to you?

#4 Claviger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:45 AM

SLI off results in the same performance, just pushes one card harder, essentially no change whatsoever.

Crap would be, not capable of holding V-sync at cap. Asking my hardware to hold a all options minimum Cryengine 3 game at 120fps constant is not really asking that much....

To me, under 120 fps feels choppy with SLI on or off. After gaming on my monitor for a few years now, I really hate the feel of 60 FPS, even 80 feels sluggish, thus the ridiculous pair of cards I have.

I have tried
32 bit/DX9
32 bit/DX11
64 bit/DX9
64 bit/DX11

As well as ever iteration of driver released that is 980 compatible.

I recently had a reason to re-install my 760 SLI setup... Performance was damn near identical to the 980 setup, except the cards were using 60% load instead of 37% that the 980s pull, FPS was right about the same. This tells me, it is certainly a CPU/Memory/Code issue, and not a GPU issue...

Edited by Claviger, 26 February 2015 - 09:50 AM.

#5 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:51 AM

View PostClaviger, on 26 February 2015 - 09:45 AM, said:

SLI off results in the same performance, just pushes one card harder, essentially no change whatsoever.

Crap would be, not capable of holding V-sync at cap. Asking my hardware to hold a all options minimum Cryengine 3 game at 120fps constant is not really asking that much....

To me, under 120 fps feels choppy with SLI on or off. After gaming on my monitor for a few years now, I really hate the feel of 60 FPS, even 80 feels sluggish, thus the ridiculous pair of cards I have.

What monitor are you using?

And why are you using vsync?

Somthing you seem unaware of is that this game is CPU bound not GPU.
So how good your GPUs are is irrelevant.

Edited by DV McKenna, 26 February 2015 - 09:53 AM.

#6 Claviger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:54 AM

Overlord Tempest 270OC. 1440p IPS 120+hz capable.

V-sync, because my monitor setup allows me to do so without any perceptible input lag (when at 120FPS) and screen tears look like dog doodoo.

I resorted to turning it off in MWO because the game runs so slow that it just adds extra delay to the process, but in all other games the input lag issue associated with Vsync is basically gone with the Tempest monitor.

Forgot to mention, global driver settings in NVPanel are all set to fastest possible settings e.g. AA off, AF off, etc etc

Edited by Claviger, 26 February 2015 - 09:56 AM.

#7 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:55 AM

View PostClaviger, on 26 February 2015 - 09:54 AM, said:

Overlord Tempest 270OC. 1440p IPS 120+hz capable.

V-sync, because my monitor setup allows me to do so without any perceptible input lag and screen tears look like dog doodoo.

You do understand how vsync works and it's inherent problems?

120FPS constant on this CPU bound game is simply unobtainable.

#8 Claviger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:59 AM

So basically, screw anyone who owns a top tier system, you get performance of an entry level gaming laptop.

#9 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:03 AM

View PostClaviger, on 26 February 2015 - 09:45 AM, said:

Oh, I haven't laughed like this in a few days. You want 120fps from MWO? Good luck getting a constant 120. Here's why:
particles hit the CPU ridiculously hard
SLI is still buggy with this game
lots of optimizations still need to be done by PGI

Why you aren't getting amazing performance at lower settings is something a bit more mysterious. I would recommend turning your settings up, though. I've seen a few people say they have gotten weirdly low performance with lower settings on relatively powerful systems. You should also try the core unparking utility to see if that helps, it definitely helped me. Disable SLI for MWO, yes DISABLE it. Set MWO to single GPU. Definitely use 64-bit and DX11. Turn off in-game AA and force it via the Nvidia control panel.

Even if you were getting the performance we would expect from your system, due to the massive CPU hunger of MWO, I doubt you would get 120fps without concessions like turning particles down to medium. Try the above suggestions, report back.

#10 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:04 AM

View PostClaviger, on 26 February 2015 - 09:59 AM, said:

So basically, screw anyone who owns a top tier system, you get performance of an entry level gaming laptop.

Yes an no.
Playing between 60-80 FPS is perfectly fine and would be considered good and we could get into the whole debate of just how many frames your eye can see.

#11 Claviger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:08 AM

Core unparking - 1st tweak after installing drivers.
SLI on vs SLI off = zero difference in framerate
I already said all options at low in game, global settings at fastest possible.

and for comparison sake so you can see how well optimized my rig is, this was the last build, but the current build matches it in every way, simply have not run a single GPU test:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5786722

View PostDV McKenna, on 26 February 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

Yes an no.
Playing between 60-80 FPS is perfectly fine and would be considered good and we could get into the whole debate of just how many frames your eye can see.

While it may be perfectly fine for you, I find it to be choppy, jittery and annoying. There is no debate, some people can perceive WAY over 60 fps. That is a fact.

Edited by Claviger, 26 February 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#12 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:10 AM

I have found that if I turn Effects, Shadows and Particles to Low, AA off, motion blur off and everything else to Very High, then go in to NVidia Control Panel and force it to override most game settings, that MWO looks very nice and runs smoother than silk.

#13 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:13 AM

Hmmmmm......Very interesting...interesting indeed.

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 26 February 2015 - 10:22 AM.

#14 Claviger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:16 AM

Do the test he links if you have a high refresh rate monitor. It will clearly show you the difference and why I can't stand 60FPS...

#15 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:24 AM

View PostClaviger, on 26 February 2015 - 10:08 AM, said:

Core unparking - 1st tweak after installing drivers.
SLI on vs SLI off = zero difference in framerate
I already said all options at low in game, global settings at fastest possible.

and for comparison sake so you can see how well optimized my rig is, this was the last build, but the current build matches it in every way, simply have not run a single GPU test:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5786722

Yes, all of that is nice. You're on a CPU that's 2 architectures old. Haswell is faster clock-per-clock and us Haswell users don't get 120fps. Also, if you're not clearing your shader cache and all that after changing visual settings, you're not even making a good test case. Either way, your CPU is the limiting factor.

#16 Claviger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 204 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:35 AM

You do realize that a 3960X @ 4.7 = 4960X @ 4.5 = 5930K @ 4.3 right? That MWO doesn't use the extra instructions available on Ivy or Haswell....

Basically, upgrading nets zero performance gains if you dont get a chip that clocks well. So even if I got a 5960X that was happy at 4.5 (lucky), it would be at max a 6% increase in performance vs my 3960 in the MWO scenario.

Interestingly though, I wonder what it would take for a CPU to be able to handle MWO at 120fps. 7ghz?

Also: Does no one see this as a significant issue at PGI?!

Edited by Claviger, 26 February 2015 - 10:37 AM.

#17 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:41 AM

MWO is literally the most advanced videogame on the planet, and features cutting edge graphics so good, there's no hardware on the market that lets you play it the way the devs intended.

#18 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:43 AM

View PostClaviger, on 26 February 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

You do realize that a 3960X @ 4.7 = 4960X @ 4.5 = 5930K @ 4.3 right? That MWO doesn't use the extra instructions available on Ivy or Haswell....

Basically, upgrading nets zero performance gains if you dont get a chip that clocks well. So even if I got a 5960X that was happy at 4.5 (lucky), it would be at max a 6% increase in performance vs my 3960 in the MWO scenario.

Interestingly though, I wonder what it would take for a CPU to be able to handle MWO at 120fps. 7ghz?

Also: Does no one see this as a significant issue at PGI?!

As always they will develop for the majority not the minority as PGI likes to remind us alot.

The majority are on 1080p or less...and they've only just got performance acceptable at that point. (loosely!)

#19 Lance425

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 110 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:44 AM

If you already know everything there is to know about your system, then why pose the original question in the way you did?

The amount of people running $4000 systems will be very low because... well... Not many people have $4000 to spend on a computer. Hell a large portion of the player base probably doesn't have that much to spend on a car! That is why it is not an issue.

You are just coming off as whiny Claviger and your late 2013 sig isn't helping.

Keep churning out mechs, maps, and optimize as you go PGI.

#20 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:49 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 26 February 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

Yes an no.

Some of us have 120hz monitors, and would like to play MWO at 120 FPS, like we can do most other games, that typically look better, anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users