72 replies to this topic

#41 sneeking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:32 AM

Yes I know that, and I wouldn't ask to keep bays.

I have 17 empty anyway.

#42 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:34 AM

Why? Because Role Warfare is hard to design when you think only like an arena shooter. It cannot work till maps increase in size to 400% the size of Alpine Peaks.

Then you can have info warfare, the ability to scout, missions other than pew pew pew murderballs and statistics that actually mean something other than relying on button mashing DPS as the only real measure of participation.

They tried... but they're still thinking arena, not warfare.

#43 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:37 AM

It's going to be way easier to do this time since your team doesn't have to win.

#44 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:58 AM

Too easy I think, but the chaos factor can't be discounted.

Usually its me and one or two others in a pug match who are batshit nuts with no regard for anything so its easy its our niche.

May find suddenly our niche is overcrowded and that could change the environment.

#45 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:25 AM

View Postsneeking, on 27 February 2015 - 03:32 AM, said:

Yes I know that, and I wouldn't ask to keep bays.

I have 17 empty anyway.

So why post complaining then? ;)

#46 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:27 AM

I dont want the filthy clanner locked on my IS account and eff me dude I just said id have to be careful not to achieve it I hardly complained. ..

#47 Raggedyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:43 AM

View PostAmardez, on 26 February 2015 - 06:58 PM, said:

Why are you lot punishing those who play in a support role i watched the balance of Mechs on the field tip even more than normal towards the Heavy end of the scales, there were so many Assaults and Heavies that i at more than one point had the client tell me there was less than 10% lights in queue.

Agreed, and why are the making everything a three-day challenge?? 50 matches with a kill across 3 days, I'm lucky if I can make 30 drops over a weekend!

Not saying "Log in, RECEIVE EVERYTHING!!", just that these challenges are passing me by due to a combo of playing a more victory than kill based style and not having an unlimited amount of time to play MWO at the weekends.

#48 The Ratfink

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:38 AM

I don't understand the complaining about challenges. Its a free mech for playing the game. Don't want to play don't get the free mech.

Assists Challenge : OMFG LRM everywhere why make it assists!!!!!
Kills Challenge: OMFG suicide kill stealer's!!!!!
Kills and Assists: OMFG Both of the above
Kills and Assists and wins: OMFG that's too hard because the Match Maker hates me and I'm in ELO hell

I did last weeks challenge while levelling my enforcers and locusts and didn't notice much difference in the PUG queue other than the odd person shouting KS.

#49 Scyther

• 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:53 AM

People complain about every event so far... 'why need a kill? why need a win? why need survive?" "This is too hard, it's not under my control to win".

And then they complain more about the 'horrible behaviour' these requirements lead to.

I'm gonna go with the people who are predicting the worst behaviour ever for this blend of requirements:

1 kill, 1 assist, no win, no survive = suicide runs, backshooting and match-hopping like crazy.

Will still be fine for me though... event or not I'll just play my usual game.

You know what they say... 'be careful what you wish for'.

#50 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:02 AM

PGI: "Hey guys, here's some free stuff for you. But it's not that easy to get, you have to invest some time and dedication."

Enthusiastic Newbie: "Oh cool, a free mech, and premium time, or I could sell it and have some extra space money on top."

Gamer: "Nice, a challenge for me, onwards, my trusty steed, we have some skulls to crush!"

Sad Gamer: "Damn, I can't make it this weekend. Well, I hope you guys have fun."

Forum Warrior: "Meh, now people will try to achieve their goals instead of recognizing my infinite forum badassery."

Terribad: "But, I want the free stuff for free! PGI, I want a participation medal! Hand me all the stuff on a silver platter! Nao!"

Window Licker: "See, PGI is terrible! I haven't played this game in a long time, but I can tell you PGI ruins everything! My lurking in these forums has an excuse!"

#51 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:58 AM

Looking back, every single challenge has had the same forum complaint threads, and Shredhead very beautifully gave us all a nice recap of what the attitudes are for every single challenge to date.

I'm the Gamer, it's a challenge, it's something to test myself with, if I get the top prize, awesome, if not, I will still have fun.

We already have all the types of players that people are complaining about will show up for this challenge, do you people NOT actually play in anything but CW? Drop in the solo standard ques, suicide runners, people who are only out to get kills for their own KDR, people who's concept of team gaming is that they won't PURPOSELY TK you it'll be an 'accident', and so forth. Actually had a drop last weekend, Assault, where someone on the enemy team actually tried to cap the base without even bothering to shoot at anyone, what kind of utter moron does something like try to win WITHOUT going for his kill and assist FIRST! Talk about some screaming on the screen, his own team were out to TK him! Welcome to PUG land, where some people, the majority actually, have NO CLUE there's a challenge going on so they are just playing the game.

I'd be playing friday night and sunday regardless of the challenge, same as I do most weekends. I normally go for more assists than kills, but oh well, not a big deal to get a kill every drop, just means I don't always leave the target I just stripped to a teammate, I'll actually finish 1 per drop, then go back to letting others get the kills for the rest of the drop. I've gotten used to morons constantly running in front of me when I'm unloading dual AC20s, haven't TKed anyone in a long while now, won't really notice anything different to be honest.

#52 Murphy7

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:36 AM

View PostAmardez, on 26 February 2015 - 06:58 PM, said:

Why are you lot punishing those who play in a support role i watched the balance of Mechs on the field tip even more than normal towards the Heavy end of the scales, there were so many Assaults and Heavies that i at more than one point had the client tell me there was less than 10% lights in queue.

Please stop these events ones where you get rewards for more than just kills and hold on maybe reward teamwork seeing as this is a teams game .... the win requirement was the only semblance of that last weekend and it is now gone .....

What's the chance he has "Please hold locks. LRMs here." macro'd for chat?

#53 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:56 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 26 February 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

this event is going to be dominated by suicide runs. you are going to grab a fast assault, hug the first bad guy you see, and pump em with salvo after salvo until they die, if you are still alive after this, you will then procede to do it again. one of these attempts some lesser player will steal your kill thus granting your assist. players will then immediately quit and find another game (a result of not needing to win).

It's funny because when I saw that winning is not required that is immediately what I was thinking of doing (and probably will be doing) with this build that I made relatively recently because it's just too perfect for exploiting the challenge criteria. I was also thinking of alternating with a boomjager again but I was never really a fan of it in the first place and it runs slower, no jumpjets, less firepower even if it has more pinpoint damage, less armor, etc so maybe not.

In case somebody gets annoyed I would just like to point out that's not how I usually play with that build, or at least not to the extent that I would be so suicidal that I wouldn't contribute much other than maybe killing 1 relatively small mech.

they should have just said match score of 30+ and be done with it. or perhaps reward the whole team as one. but no we got to use some rules that will pretty much encourage horrible game play. on the bright side those games where you do well and the team does horribly you can still score a point, so scoring will be many times easier.

whats alarming is the need for 80 points just to get all the prizes, and only 3 days to do it. thats another weekend down the drain. especially with the adder being pushed into the 50 point range.

At least it's easy enough to just hop around from match to match, but I have a feeling this is going to make match quality go down the drain.

Edited by Pjwned, 27 February 2015 - 09:04 AM.

#54 Strykewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts
  • LocationRogue River, Oregon

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:00 AM

Why? Because it makes trying for it viable, as a pug, in CW. And, even though I am usually grouped; I agree with the change.

#55 Fragnot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUS Eastern

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:32 AM

View PostRaggedyman, on 27 February 2015 - 04:43 AM, said:

Not saying "Log in, RECEIVE EVERYTHING!!", just that these challenges are passing me by due to a combo of playing a more victory than kill based style and not having an unlimited amount of time to play MWO at the weekends.

No one has an unlimited time to play this weekend; we all have exactly 72hrs. If you feel you don't have as much time to play as someone else, it's only because you choose to do other things with that time. That's great, just remember it's your choice.

I'd really like to be playing MWO right now, but today I chose to go to work instead : /

#56 Zoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:40 AM

Pugs are going to do ******** things. If they're not charging in to get a kill, they're cowering in fear of...something. At least now the performance of your team doesn't affect whether or not you get credit for the challenge.

#57 Stoned Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:53 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 26 February 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

this event is going to be dominated by suicide runs. you are going to grab a fast assault, hug the first bad guy you see, and pump em with salvo after salvo until they die, if you are still alive after this, you will then procede to do it again. one of these attempts some lesser player will steal your kill thus granting your assist. players will then immediately quit and find another game (a result of not needing to win).

they should have just said match score of 30+ and be done with it. or perhaps reward the whole team as one. but no we got to use some rules that will pretty much encourage horrible game play. on the bright side those games where you do well and the team does horribly you can still score a point, so scoring will be many times easier.

whats alarming is the need for 80 points just to get all the prizes, and only 3 days to do it. thats another weekend down the drain. especially with the adder being pushed into the 50 point range.

You know youre not required to get the adder if you dont want to "waste your weekend" right?

#58 elismallz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:15 AM

I'm convinced these events happen to encourage people to bring their cheese builds, giving PGI data on what needs to be nerfed and buffed.

View PostShredhead, on 27 February 2015 - 06:02 AM, said:

PGI: "Hey guys, here's some free stuff for you. But it's not that easy to get, you have to invest some time and dedication."

Enthusiastic Newbie: "Oh cool, a free mech, and premium time, or I could sell it and have some extra space money on top."

Gamer: "Nice, a challenge for me, onwards, my trusty steed, we have some skulls to crush!"

Sad Gamer: "Damn, I can't make it this weekend. Well, I hope you guys have fun."

Forum Warrior: "Meh, now people will try to achieve their goals instead of recognizing my infinite forum badassery."

Terribad: "But, I want the free stuff for free! PGI, I want a participation medal! Hand me all the stuff on a silver platter! Nao!"

Window Licker: "See, PGI is terrible! I haven't played this game in a long time, but I can tell you PGI ruins everything! My lurking in these forums has an excuse!"

Quoted for Lulz

#59 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

There seem to be a number of requirements to earn these rewards ... but personally I prefer the point based award systems to the kill/assist/win requirements.

PGI seems to be aiming for a 50 to 100 game requirement over the weekend to win the big prize.

On average most of their challenges work out in this range ... but this does not help the outliers in the distribution where folks need a win to get the point and then have 10 losses in a row.

Similarly, conditions requiring a kill will typically make folks aggressively pursue badly damaged mechs ... however, removing the win condition means that people are now free to get an assist, get in a quick kill and quit the game so they can grab a point in the next game. Anyone pursuing the challenge efficiently who doesn't care about winning or the team might likely do this.

On the other hand, point systems based on match performance or score reward team play since the points in the match score can be increased by team activities ... assists can be weighted more than kills which actually deters the fight for the kill (though it will happen anyway due to KDR). Damage done also becomes a factor in the score. The better you play the more likely you are to get a point.

They might also want to explore the possibility of a total score target rather than a point per qualifying match ... this way even bad games will contribute something to your total.

#60 omessiaho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:07 PM

If they force everyone to play 50+ games they negotiate with Valve they can go "damn, look at all these players". That is the only logical reason I can think of.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users