72 replies to this topic

#1 Amardez

• PipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 80 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:58 PM

After the crappy grinding that we had last weekend and the worst of behavior coming out in players desperately trying to get a kill and many people going way to far and basically committing suicide in the hope of getting their kill.

Why are you lot punishing those who play in a support role i watched the balance of Mechs on the field tip even more than normal towards the Heavy end of the scales, there were so many Assaults and Heavies that i at more than one point had the client tell me there was less than 10% lights in queue.

I am sick and tired of having to put up with people raging because player "insert name here" stole his/her kill. or walked in the way at the last moment so they could not get last shoot.

Please stop these events ones where you get rewards for more than just kills and hold on maybe reward teamwork seeing as this is a teams game .... the win requirement was the only semblance of that last weekend and it is now gone .....

come on reward those people who help you win by playing Mechs that don't pack every inch of their Mech with guns those guys who give up DPS and Alpha strike impact to take that Active probe or that AMS system give them points for spotting and points for those things.

Good luck to those who are playing this weekend I sadly do not know if I can put up with the behavior I did last weekend again.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:21 PM

this event is going to be dominated by suicide runs. you are going to grab a fast assault, hug the first bad guy you see, and pump em with salvo after salvo until they die, if you are still alive after this, you will then procede to do it again. one of these attempts some lesser player will steal your kill thus granting your assist. players will then immediately quit and find another game (a result of not needing to win).

they should have just said match score of 30+ and be done with it. or perhaps reward the whole team as one. but no we got to use some rules that will pretty much encourage horrible game play. on the bright side those games where you do well and the team does horribly you can still score a point, so scoring will be many times easier.

whats alarming is the need for 80 points just to get all the prizes, and only 3 days to do it. thats another weekend down the drain. especially with the adder being pushed into the 50 point range.

Edited by LordNothing, 26 February 2015 - 07:34 PM.

#3 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:22 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 26 February 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

this event is going to be dominated by suicide runs. you are going to grab a fast assault, hug the first bad guy you see, and pump em with salvo after salvo until they die, if you are still alive after this, you will then procede to do it again. one of these attempts some lesser player will steal your kill thus granting your assist. players will then immediately quit and find another game.

And if the team loses 11-1 because their assaults keep trying to suicide kill, no one gets point.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:26 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 26 February 2015 - 06:50 PM, said:

Wait, so now I get to be as reckless as possible as long as I can get a kill and an assist--**** the teamplay and winning? Oh man, the pug plays are gonna be frenzied even more...

I personally would prefer if the requirements were a win and an assist and the points lowered to 40-50 max. -_-

#5 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:28 PM

Srm huginn FTW :P

Skulk about up back waiting, rush in full speed womp one on the way past ( assist ) hit brakes stop behind a fattie that's busy fighting and womp womp womp rear ct ( there's ya kill ) oh the joy ;)

Edited by sneeking, 26 February 2015 - 07:35 PM.

#6 Terasyn

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 6 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:33 PM

Your team could lose the match and you'd still get the point as long as you achieved a kill and assist. That's the point he's raising: because a win is no longer a requirement, players will no longer be focused on staying alive as long as possible; your point is secured once you get a kill and assist. Technically this means that 23 players in a match can achieve the point, but it doesn't necessarily lead to a fun and fulfilling game.

Edit: this was in reply to Kevjack. Don't know why the quote didn't happen.

Edited by Terasyn, 26 February 2015 - 07:35 PM.

#7 Amardez

• PipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 80 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:35 PM

View PostKevjack, on 26 February 2015 - 07:22 PM, said:

And if the team loses 11-1 because their assaults keep trying to suicide kill, no one gets point.

I have did see a lot of that last weekend, and it wasn't just not winning it was causing 1-12 losses, even some 0 - 12 losses.

I hate thinking that a suicide run is peoples plan. Mechwarrior is apparently meant to be about teamwork and tactics that kind of mind set just proves my point these goals do not encourage what this games designers keep telling us it is about.

#8 Terasyn

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 6 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:40 PM

View PostAmardez, on 26 February 2015 - 07:35 PM, said:

Mechwarrior is apparently meant to be about teamwork and tactics that kind of mind set just proves my point these goals do not encourage what this games designers keep telling us it is about.

Because in PUGlandia no one (apparently) cares about anyone else.

#9 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:40 PM

View PostAmardez, on 26 February 2015 - 07:35 PM, said:

I have did see a lot of that last weekend, and it wasn't just not winning it was causing 1-12 losses, even some 0 - 12 losses.

I hate thinking that a suicide run is peoples plan. Mechwarrior is apparently meant to be about teamwork and tactics that kind of mind set just proves my point these goals do not encourage what this games designers keep telling us it is about.

Perhaps we should show them the error of their ways, I will give them some data for analysis !

#10 Amardez

• PipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 80 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:41 PM

View Postsneeking, on 26 February 2015 - 07:40 PM, said:

Perhaps we should show them the error of their ways, I will give them some data for analysis !

I think they need a wake up call, maybe if they were forced to play all weekend in say the PUG queue or pairs teams they might get the picture.

#11 monk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 202 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:57 PM

Because it's leaps and bounds of improvement over kill, assist, and win. It's not an ideal formula, but let's be fair. It will alleviate the more frustrating part of the grind. There are few mechs that can't squeak out kills, and if you can't get an assist...then you're probably not really helping your team much anyhow. It would be nice to have a fully fleshed out challenge that would reward all play styles, but seriously, just be glad we've got some improvement.

I think the biggest thing people forget is that this is not a gimme. It's a CHALLENGE. It's supposed to take time and commitment. If it really bothers you so much, you could just pony up the cash to buy the mech. PGI doesn't owe anyone anything so far as free mechs and other rewards go. If you really hate it, just cash in on the really easy 3 days of free premium and enjoy the weekend how you'd prefer. If you're doing these because you're poor (I'm get poor - I'm broke) then you really need to consider asking your neighbor to mow their lawn or shovel their snow, because the monetary value of the mech and goodies is pretty tiny.

#12 Ryllen Kriel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 754 posts
  • LocationBetween the last bottle and the next.

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:00 PM

I have a conspiracy theory that these particular challenges are a subtle attempt to thin out PUGs and have players group up into more organized divisions.

I'd be happy to join such a group but not everyone's schedule, job or social life permits a certain play time. Sadly PUGs will always exist in larger groups than organized players. These challenges are frustrating.

#13 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:04 PM

Because they just had the highest spike of active players in the history of MWO last sunday and now they're thinking "Wow, I guess the players really love these challenges! Let's do more of them!"

We can criticize them for these boring challenges until the cows come home, but right now the numbers tell a different story. A lot of people out there are ready to grind hard to get extra mechs. Which I don't really understand, personally, but there you have it.

Since PGI started doing weekly challenges, I've been asking for something different, but it's fallen on deaf ears. Right now, the only thing I can do is stop playing in weekends and hope that PGI notices the number of players is 0.01% lower than it would be otherwise.

A vain hope, but it still seems more realistic than hoping they're actually reading my forum posts.

#14 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 327 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:13 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 26 February 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

they should have just said match score of 30+ and be done with it. or perhaps reward the whole team as one. but no we got to use some rules that will pretty much encourage horrible game play. on the bright side those games where you do well and the team does horribly you can still score a point, so scoring will be many times easier.

whats alarming is the need for 80 points just to get all the prizes, and only 3 days to do it. thats another weekend down the drain. especially with the adder being pushed into the 50 point range.

Agree 100%

#15 Yellow Kat

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:18 PM

Meh. Just another weekend "challenge" that I just have to skip on. Only ones I've ever been able to complete was the one that was "Play X Matches". Other than that they all are pointless for me.

#16 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:29 PM

So long as the prime variant isn't bay locked like the resistance primes, otherwise ill have to be careful not to achieve it.

#17 Amardez

• PipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 80 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:35 PM

View Postmonk, on 26 February 2015 - 07:57 PM, said:

I think the biggest thing people forget is that this is not a gimme. It's a CHALLENGE. It's supposed to take time and commitment. If it really bothers you so much, you could just pony up the cash to buy the mech. PGI doesn't owe anyone anything so far as free mechs and other rewards go. If you really hate it, just cash in on the really easy 3 days of free premium and enjoy the weekend how you'd prefer. If you're doing these because you're poor (I'm get poor - I'm broke) then you really need to consider asking your neighbor to mow their lawn or shovel their snow, because the monetary value of the mech and goodies is pretty tiny.

You miss the point I would have been playing if it was not on the free stuff is a side note and frankly i have that Mech and banked prem time so not an issue to ME, it is the bad behavior that it brings out and ruins play experiences. I know some people can't afford to drop cash on MWO and for them the rewards maybe an issue, but you have a team based game basically pushing for solo glory at the expense of team play. That may not be the way they want it to run but after last weekend anyone wanting a safe bet would take it.

Oh and the excuse that is a challenge is not a good one there is a difference a challenge and a forced grind, not to mention that any challenge that saps the fun from a game is counter productive, and unhelpful to the community. They have run good challenges before I am just bewildered why they keep going back to these ones.

#18 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:35 PM

will have to see how it goes when it does. i expect to qualify more frequently than the last challenge. but if i qualify every other game then i need to play 160 games to get everything. thats about 53.3 games a day. and at the rate of about 4 games an hour, thats 13 hours and 20 minutes of games a day in order to run the course of the challenge.

i expect to play better than qualifying every other game (i figure 2/3s of the games based on numbers from the last challenge), but still that is a lot of time to be spent on one challenge. even doing a perfect run will require roughly 5 hours of gameplay a day to win all the prizes.

#19 Amardez

• PipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 80 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:41 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 26 February 2015 - 09:35 PM, said:

will have to see how it goes when it does. i expect to qualify more frequently than the last challenge. but if i qualify every other game then i need to play 160 games to get everything. thats about 53.3 games a day. and at the rate of about 4 games an hour, thats 13 hours and 20 minutes of games a day in order to run the course of the challenge.

i expect to play better than qualifying every other game (i figure 2/3s of the games based on numbers from the last challenge), but still that is a lot of time to be spent on one challenge. even doing a perfect run will require roughly 5 hours of gameplay a day to win all the prizes.

Only way i could see you getting them all in a row would be a Hard 12 man drop and even that is not 100% . For a good player i would expect one long day, if not two. For those of use not lucky of very good more like a long weekend.

#20 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:37 PM

I sometimes wonder if these Events mirror the attitudes of people at large. I don't participate because of how the Events make people act, but more importantly because I don't need any of the stuff they're offering as prizes. There are people who feel compelled to participate simply because they've been convinced they're somehow missing out if they don't get the free stuff even if they don't need it.

These must be the same people who buy stuff they don't need simply because it's buy 1 take 1 or 75% off. In MWO Events, you spend time and effort instead of money to get stuff you don't need, but the psychology is the same. There may be a handful of people who actually do need the prizes (to get 3 variants of the same chassis, for example), but most people don't. This isn't surprising because, at its core, commercial advertising's purpose is to get people to want stuff they don't need.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users