Pnt-10K Panther. Finally, A Light Mech I Actually Like.

BattleMechs

88 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:31 PM

So.

I'm not a Light jock, as a rule. I'm a Medium Mech pilot. I do OK, in a few Lights, like the Huginn, Founder's Jenner (as a NARC spotter... suck as a duelist), and of course, Firestarters, because, well, anyone can do pretty well in Firestarters.

But I never really liked them, felt a lot of fun from them, etc.

Then the Panther came along. Not real fast, by Light standards, but able to outrun almost any Medium. Good agility. JJs. Decent armor, and seems like fantastic hitboxes.

So what do I run? Nothing special.

Max Armor and JJs.
250xl
1x ER PPC
2x SRM4

I generally just run it like I would my Medium Mechs, running along the perimeter, supporting the unit, blunting salients, etc.

Do I put up 1000 pt/ 10 kill matches?

No. I've only done that in Firestarters and back when the Raven-3L was borked as heck. But I tend to survive, and get 1-2 kills pretty much every match. So far my top damage was mid 500s. But for me, in a Light Mech? It's done well.

So maybe that's the deal. The Panther is the Light Mech for people who don't do Light Mechs?

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 26 February 2015 - 09:31 PM.

#2 Greenjulius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:35 PM

I think concensus is that it will never be a competitive mech, but is generally fun in a Mist Lynx kind of way.

I see it being better than the Stynx however because it has more TrueDubs due to the 250 engine. I still need to try out some LPL builds on this thing.

Edited by Greenjulius, 26 February 2015 - 08:36 PM.

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

View PostGreenjulius, on 26 February 2015 - 08:35 PM, said:

I think concensus is that it will never be a competitive mech, but is generally fun in a Mist Lynx kind of way.

I see it being better than the Stynx however because it has more TrueDubs due to the 250 engine. I still need to try out some LPL builds on this thing.

the day I give a flying flip what is "comp" or not? Is the day I uninstall.

#4 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:39 PM

Unless you got your grubby paws on Spheroid Streak4s or mounted clantech somehow, I think you meant 2xSRM4 or 2xSSRM2.

Anyway, yeah, I've had success with the 10K with an ERPPC, SRM4, SRM2, 1 ton SRM ammo, 4xJJ, 250XL, endo, ferro. Surprisingly solid little thing.

But then, I never had too many problems with clan lights, and before that ran my FS9-H with 3xML, AC5, and a 255XL.

Modest speed on lights can work, but you want to avoid direct fights with the speed demons.

#5 Cranial Enigma

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:39 PM

It's good that you like it, I have also really enjoyed my mist lynx even though it is considered bad in many people's eyes....... and just because this is bugging the heck out of me...... when did inner sphere get streak SRM 4s?

#6 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:41 PM

The 10K is a nice little mech. I run the same loadout as you, Bishop. But I like the 9R even more, with 4xMPL and an SRM4. It's a nasty little skirmisher if you can shield that arm.

#7 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:48 PM

My original post got canned with your duplicate thread. :rolleyes:

Suffice to say, I like my Panthers and also consider myself a medium mech kinda guy.

I don't much care for PPC, so I run my -10K with 2xLL and 2xLRM5. Ironically, the -10K is better with the LL than the -8Z due to the heat generation quirk. The -8Z just runs too hot with 2xLL.

The -9R is my fav though, 4 MPL. I had one 900+, 5 kill match and several over 500. Losing the arm is pretty catastrophic though...it's a high risk, high reward kind of balance.

#8 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:56 PM

The 10k with ERPPC, 2x SRM4s, 2x tons of ammo, and an XL250 is a beast. You have to watch your heat, but it puts out the hurt at all ranges with deadly effect.

#9 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:01 PM

I want to love 8Z, it is the Com Guard model after all, but I have the best luck in my stock with more DHS 10K. Beat a Stormcrow in a faceoff on HPG last night, was a left leg, CT, RT and RA Panther afterwards but the guys was even more shocked I was still alive at all. Surprisingly tanky.

#10 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:13 PM

I love love LOVE my 10K "Hovercat" with 1 ERPPC and 1ERLL

Beautiful combo

#11 Corbenik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:15 PM

yeah once i stop being lazy and use my cbills for Freebirth mechs ill lvl them up, they are kinda fun since i like my badder and cute fox and soon2b#NeverforgetIcefurry i like under dog mechs , but i guess maybe cuz the panther just has that look with the cockpit xD .

#12 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 481 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:19 PM

View PostCranial Enigma, on 26 February 2015 - 08:39 PM, said:

It's good that you like it, I have also really enjoyed my mist lynx even though it is considered bad in many people's eyes....... and just because this is bugging the heck out of me...... when did inner sphere get streak SRM 4s?

Hey Cranial, they didn't get SSRM4 for inner sphere yet. The guy meant 2 x srm4, but some times those s's get away from ya. Still, if you can pull the weight for the beagle, 2xssrm2 isn't too bad on a panther. I run mine with 3mpl, 2xssrm2, bap, 1.5 tons streak ammo and full compliment of jump jets (4), xl250 engine. Fully elited it's pretty nice running at 127.4kph.

Run with cooldown modules on the ssrm and range module for the mpl, I find it is effective.

#13 Risko Vinsheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 573 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:44 PM

My 10K runs an ERPPC, SRM4Artemis, and a Medium Laser for backup. I've netted a few surprising kills in it. One match I managed to kill a Thunderbolt, Stormcrow, and Warhawk before I got taken down as the last guy on my team. Another match I practically solo'd a King Crab caught in a tight space on Frozen City, that one was fun. He did take some damage from a friendly LRM-boat but he was mostly surrounded by the buildings so didn't take many of them.

I haven't tried the other two yet but I feel like I could like them, too. I've never had much issue with lights. I mastered Locusts when they came out (and were considered DOA), played the Spider when it first came out (and was considered DOA), and thoroughly enjoy my Kit Fox. The Panther is just another 'underpowered' mech I find fun.

#14 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:47 PM

I like how one of my stream viewers put it. "The Panther is DoA, Death of Assaults."

#15 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:06 PM

I play my Panthers like I do my vindicators: Big game hunters. You get em scoped and pop em.

#16 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:14 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 February 2015 - 08:31 PM, said:

So maybe that's the deal. The Panther is the Light Mech for people who don't do Light Mechs?

It's for the hipsters.

Panther 9R for example, has ENERGY HEAT GENERATION: -15.00 % ENERGY COOLDOWN: 15.00 % ENERGY RANGE: 15.00 % LASER DURATION: -15.00 %.

It can only mean PNT-9R Wub Wub Panther. Corner peak, 22 damage alpha within 0.57 second, fade away. ;)
Has 456 meters optimum range and 912 meters max range--enough for most engagements.

Edited by El Bandito, 27 February 2015 - 07:36 AM.

#17 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:49 PM

I thought LPLs did not get help from LL quirks.

#18 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:53 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 26 February 2015 - 10:49 PM, said:

He only posted the general laser quirks.

#19 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:54 PM

have you even tried the Adder?!

#20 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:55 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 26 February 2015 - 10:49 PM, said:

The 9R doesn't have any LL quirks. it has a bunch of generic energy quirks, a PPC velocity buff, and a couple missile buffs. I tried it with PPC, 3xSPL, and an SRM4, but the PPC wasn't working out, so I swapped it for a LPL and it made for a decent face-wrecker.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users