How Roomy Is The Ebon Jaguar Gunna Be

47 replies to this topic

#21 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:29 PM

I think they will get MASC as close as possible to lore as they can. They will have to make sacrifices because this is an entirely different environment, but it will probably be as close as they can get while making it useful.

if they are going to hardlock it, they better make it useful.

#22 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:29 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 26 February 2015 - 11:18 PM, said:

but a 95 tonner with a lot of lazers going around 90kph, I think it is possible to have fun :)

The hardpoint locations will probably stop it from replacing my old buddy LightShow as my favorite assault. Hardpoint locations similarly stop the Gargoyle from comparing to LightShow.

#23 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:32 PM

View PostEscef, on 26 February 2015 - 11:29 PM, said:

The hardpoint locations will probably stop it from replacing my old buddy LightShow as my favorite assault. Hardpoint locations similarly stop the Gargoyle from comparing to LightShow.

13 SPLs. 13! thats as many as 13 1's. and thats fantastic.

#24 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:36 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 26 February 2015 - 11:22 PM, said:

Well....I hate to break it to you:

CTRL-F if you must:
http://mwomercs.com/...lan-wave-3-faq/

LOL!
I was so excited that, esactly in that page, a week ago I've read "likely" insted of "unlikely"!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it's a little broken now... :D
But, ok, I want to have fun with it anyway. I hope max speed possible...

#25 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:40 PM

View PostEscef, on 26 February 2015 - 11:29 PM, said:

It is so!
BLR has awesome energy hardpoints.

#26 Malcolm Decker

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:15 AM

I was completely sold on the cauldron borne pack until I saw that it has 2x fixed slots in each arm. No LBX20's is a dealbreaker.

I was thinking I would get the shadow cat but it has the same fixed arm issue preventing ECM+LBX20 skirmisher.

IMO other than the novelty of dual gauss, all the interesting builds have been circumvented by the pesky slot restrictions. It's enough to make me want to stick to SCR's and HBR's.

#27 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:20 AM

View PostMalcolm Decker, on 27 February 2015 - 12:15 AM, said:

I was completely sold on the cauldron borne pack until I saw that it has 2x fixed slots in each arm. No LBX20's is a dealbreaker.

I was thinking I would get the shadow cat but it has the same fixed arm issue preventing ECM+LBX20 skirmisher.

IMO other than the novelty of dual gauss, all the interesting builds have been circumvented by the pesky slot restrictions. It's enough to make me want to stick to SCR's and HBR's.

LB-X 20s are garbage though.

#28 Greenjulius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:28 AM

View PostBrody319, on 26 February 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

13 SPL on a 95 ton mech. you know you want.

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 26 February 2015 - 11:18 PM, said:

Do you wanna know what convinced me to upgrade to Executioner?

The fact that PGI stated that MASC will be 1:1 as TT.

It still will be meh because we don't have DFA, and charge...but a 95 tonner with a lot of lazers going around 90kph, I think it is possible to have fun :)

You guys are like a reverse support group that makes me want to relapse.

#29 Greenjulius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:34 AM

You can still put a LB20x in the right torso with the Ebon Jag. Shadow Cat however can't do a LB20x at all.

#30 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:41 AM

Me thinks the hitboxes of the Ebon Jaguar scream "borked" pretty loud. It remains to be seen if they will be TW-like or HB-like.

#31 Ralgas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:02 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 27 February 2015 - 12:41 AM, said:

Me thinks the hitboxes of the Ebon Jaguar scream "borked" pretty loud. It remains to be seen if they will be TW-like or HB-like.

It's a clan jagger, can you imagine the tears when it becomes the new boomjag? Assuming the arms stick around cockpit height as they are in the concept art borked hitboxes aren't going to be half as much of an issue as they are for other chassis if you pilot it right

Edit: I take that back, if the incoming buffs to clan ac's work we may well see uac/20 boomjags (boomborns? ebonbooms?)

Edited by Ralgas, 27 February 2015 - 01:13 AM.

#32 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:27 AM

View PostFupDup, on 26 February 2015 - 09:50 PM, said:

28.5 tons of pod space with mostly max armor.

I was very impressed with the Pod space on TT. Not to mention teh low sexy look of the Ebon. I hope they make it to tall!

#33 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:45 AM

View PostRalgas, on 27 February 2015 - 01:02 AM, said:

Edit: I take that back, if the incoming buffs to clan ac's work we may well see uac/20 boomjags (boomborns? ebonbooms?)

I'd prefer Thunderborn. B)

#34 Ralgas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:10 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 27 February 2015 - 02:45 AM, said:

I'd prefer Thunderborn. B)

That works too. As an early adopter up until now the only EJ that makes me go "meh" is the bonus variant, mainly because I don't like the idea of being entirely built around an ammo dependent arsenal, ofc it may well become my "Thunderborn" now :ph34r:

Edited by Ralgas, 27 February 2015 - 03:11 AM.

#35 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:49 AM

View PostRalgas, on 27 February 2015 - 03:10 AM, said:

That works too. As an early adopter up until now the only EJ that makes me go "meh" is the bonus variant, mainly because I don't like the idea of being entirely built around an ammo dependent arsenal, ofc it may well become my "Thunderborn" now :ph34r:

I'm actually looking forward to the bonus variant the most. Think about four ASRM6 plus either two LBX5 or UAC5.

Edited by Thorn Hallis, 27 February 2015 - 03:49 AM.

#36 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,030 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:18 AM

Viable builds that come to mind:

2xGauss (RT, RA) + 6T ammo - involves stripped LA of armour

Gauss (RT) + 2xC-LPL (LT) + 3T Ammo + 5 additonal DHS - involves stripping both arms

LRM80 + 9T ammo (Troll build really)

C-LPLx2 + ERMLx5 + as many DHS as you can fit... 26 total i think. (Standard laser vomit)

C-UAC5x3 + CERMLx3 maybe?

Dont much like the idea of ASRM24 builds since only 1 energy weapon port with 4 missiles, but im sure it will get used a bit.. maybe ASRM24 + C-LPL or C-ERPPC.

Streak builds are a complete waste of this mech, hope no one uses them on this...

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 27 February 2015 - 04:21 AM.

#37 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:26 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 27 February 2015 - 03:49 AM, said:

I'm actually looking forward to the bonus variant the most. Think about four ASRM6 plus either two LBX5 or UAC5.

not really sure if that is viable, 4xASRM6 = 10 tons, 2xUAC5 = 14 tons, cant strip armour much so you're looking at 4.5 - 5 tons of ammo total.. not enough imo.

#38 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:35 AM

I really wanted the Ebon Jaguar to be a dual gauss candidate, but... I don't think it is. People keep talking about it, but... you have 6 or 7 tons of ammo, depending on how much armour you're willing to strip. And no backup weapons.

I run my CTF-3D with dual gauss, 3 jump jets, 4 tons of ammo and 4 medium lasers. 70 kph. If I removed the jump jets, I would have 7 tons of ammo.
The Ebon Jaguar trades 4 medium lasers and a bit of armour for better hardpoint locations, 11 kph speed bonus, MASC and the Clan XL engine.

Sorry, that's not a good deal, in my eyes. I'd rather add 24 damage to my 30 dmg alphastrike. The hardpoints will be better for sniping, but sniping means that you don't really need the MASC and the extra speed will only slightly help you move in and out of cover. As a sniper, the Ebon Jag may not be much better than the Jagermech. If you're going to be a "combat sniper" or mid range sniper, then the speed is an asset, but you'll often be in situations where you wish you had those 4 medium lasers.

I'm a huge gauss rifle fan. I carry dual gauss on my Warhawk, for God's sake. But I don't think I'll be mounting dual gauss on my Ebon Jag. When I get one. In about 380 days or so.

EDIT: Ok, it doesn't get MASC either.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 27 February 2015 - 06:11 AM.

#39 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:53 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 27 February 2015 - 04:35 AM, said:

I really wanted the Ebon Jaguar to be a dual gauss candidate, but... I don't think it is. People keep talking about it, but... you have 6 or 7 tons of ammo, depending on how much armour you're willing to strip. And no backup weapons.

I run my CTF-3D with dual gauss, 3 jump jets, 4 tons of ammo and 4 medium lasers. 70 kph. If I removed the jump jets, I would have 7 tons of ammo.
The Ebon Jaguar trades 4 medium lasers and a bit of armour for better hardpoint locations, 11 kph speed bonus, MASC and the Clan XL engine.

Sorry, that's not a good deal, in my eyes. I'd rather add 24 damage to my 30 dmg alphastrike. The hardpoints will be better for sniping, but sniping means that you don't really need the MASC and the extra speed will only slightly help you move in and out of cover. As a sniper, the Ebon Jag may not be much better than the Jagermech. If you're going to be a "combat sniper" or mid range sniper, then the speed is an asset, but you'll often be in situations where you wish you had those 4 medium lasers.

I'm a huge gauss rifle fan. I carry dual gauss on my Warhawk, for God's sake. But I don't think I'll be mounting dual gauss on my Ebon Jag. When I get one. In about 380 days or so.

It is, and a much better one than the Warhawk - its such a gigantic waste of 20 DHS and an 85 tons mech to run dual gauss on it, all you can do for backup weapons is 2xERML (assuming you have the C) and that just seems.. so wasteful. Plus bad hardpoint locations for it.

I run a GaussJager sometimes with 6 tons of ammo and no backup weapons, that works out fine for me.. this is the same thing but faster. (and no quirks of course)

edit: EBJ has no MASC. and you could do 2x Gauss + 5T ammo + 3xERSL if you want, or maaaaybe 4T ammo and 3xERML.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 27 February 2015 - 04:55 AM.

#40 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:13 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 27 February 2015 - 04:53 AM, said:

It is, and a much better one than the Warhawk - its such a gigantic waste of 20 DHS and an 85 tons mech to run dual gauss on it, all you can do for backup weapons is 2xERML (assuming you have the C) and that just seems.. so wasteful. Plus bad hardpoint locations for it.

While 20 DHS are a waste on a dual gauss build, that doesn't really matter. At the end of the day, you just have to consider whether it can do the job you want it to. Compared to the gauss jager, the Warhawk can take a lot more damage and you can easily take 8 tons of ammo and 1 or 2 medium lasers. While the Gauss Jager generally dies very fast in a brawl, the Warhawk does not. And it's still faster than the Jager. The hardpoint locations are a problem, and of course there's the fact that it's the size of a Dire Wolf. But the 20 DHS aren't a problem in themselves.

I run a GaussJager sometimes with 6 tons of ammo and no backup weapons, that works out fine for me.. this is the same thing but faster. (and no quirks of course)

The problem is that with only a 30 dmg alpha strike (as opposed to 44 for the Warhawk C gauss carrier), you have very low DPS. Low DPS isn't a problem when you're sniping, which is why the dual Jager is so popular. But it's a huge concern when your position is overrun and it turns into a brawl. At that point, the Warhawk has 50% more firepower and 30% more armour, plus the ability to survive with 1 side torso. And the extra ammo + backup weapons is great for long matches.

edit: EBJ has no MASC. and you could do 2x Gauss + 5T ammo + 3xERSL if you want, or maaaaybe 4T ammo and 3xERML.

By mistake with the MASC. Small lasers are crappy backup weapons though. I tried 4 small lasers on my CTF-3D for months and when I finally switched to 4 medium lasers, it was a huge change for the better. I'd even take 2 ERML over 3xERSL.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users