9 replies to this topic

#1 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:06 AM

So I've been sitting on a list of IS Mechs based on the 3050 timeline for a long time now. They're separated by House and everything, but if interest rises then I will make another post specifically for it. Until then I wanted to test the waters by making a list/compilation of possible OmniMechs based on the current timeline.
The timeline is technically 3050, but Russ mentioned that they are now extending the timeline to 3052 when considering which mechs/variants/technology to add to the game. The Clan Wars only make up a small timespan of 2 1/2 years, so I guess they're thinking ahead and sort of "cheating" the timeline a little bit in order to add fan favorites and whatnot. A lot of mechs restricted by the 3050 timeline that aren't available until 3052 are only restricted because the IS doesn't encounter them until Takyyid anyways.

So, the current list:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Light Omnimechs not yet in-game or announced:

Fire Moth - 20 tons
Posted Image
First produced in 2074, uses game-breaking MASC going past 200kph (at 200kph CryEngine dies a terrible server-side death)

Oops! The Raptor is actually Inner Sphere Omni tech!

Fire Falcon, maybe - 25 tons
Posted Image
First developed and produced in 3052 to replace the Mist Lynx. It looks like a weird buglike mini Jenner of sorts and has a very MWO-friendly loadout/design. Unique arms too.
This guy can go 130 kph with jump jets and a full complement of weapons, in fact it can carry a surprisngly large number of decent weapons for its' size! It has at least 11 tons of pod space, unless there's only 1 ton of ammo for both streak launchers to share.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Medium Omnimechs not yet in-game or announced:

The 40 ton Coyotl isn't possible in game unfortunately as it was discontinued in 2943. Has a neat design, but only 2 variants, so it's probably better off this way anyways.

Battle Cobra - 40 tons
Posted Image
First produced in 2873 and in use until 3075. It's a unique Mech with lots of variants and a design that yells "I'm small but I'm tough"! I like the primary config as well, 2 LPL 2 SPL.

Viper (Dragonfly) - 40 tons
Posted Image
First produced in 2940 and used in the Clan Wars. It's the Nova's baby brother! It gets the Nova chassis/legs with 1 Kit Fox arm and 1 Nova arm, I like it personally and it's probably this list's biggest candidate for the next Clan chassis. It reuses assets and was used extensively against Inner Sphere forces.

Stooping Hawk - 55 tons
Posted Image
First produced in 2970 by Clan Blood Spirit, a little clan that usually can't afford to make stompy robots using Star League tech. They spared no expense when making this...weird looking mech, giving it Ferro and Endo but no Clan XL engine. Just a standard. It's a fast 55-tonner that has plenty of variants and a depressed emo bird-of-prey look.

Huntsman - 50 tons
Posted Image
First produced in 3049, this Mech is relatively new and thus wasn't used in Operation REVIVAL until the Battle of Luthien (which happened only a few months before Takyyid). This sporty mech uses all tech upgrades, has a ton of variants, and even comes equipped with jumpjets! The perfect Nova replacement!

Pouncer - 40 tons
Posted Image
This mech was brand-new in 3050 and indeed did operate against Inner Sphere defenders. It goes fast, has (15.5) tons of pod space, and a good number of variants as well. As a bonus it looks like the predecessor to the Cougar. The all-seeing-eye totally-not-a-Zaku look really grows on ya the more you look at it imo.

Black Lanner - 55 tons
Posted Image
First produced in 3052, saw clan-on-clan action before joining REVIVAL at Takkyid. If the Mad Dog and Timberwolf had a 55-ton baby together, this would be it. Has MASC and a variety of weapons for all ranges as well as a large number of variants.

Phantom - 40 tons
Posted Image
First produced in 3052 and made after the lessons learned battling Inner Sphere forces. No idea as to whether or not it fought against said forces. This mech goes 151.2kph and has everything from ECM to CAP. It's a bigger Mist Lynx, basically. Plenty of variants once again.

Mongrel - 45 tons
Posted Image
According to SARNA the Mongrel was produced in 2053....yet it lead scout units in the battle of Tukayyid? I'm assuming it was a typo, but at any rate, this thing has promise. It should have a lot of maneuverability while maintaining an okay weapons loadout. As the description says, it's a bit low on firepower but that makes it a better mech in fast group tactics. Also, Jagermech-style side torso shields.

Heavy Omnimechs not yet in-game or announced:

Lupus - 60 tons
Posted Image
First produced in 2857. This mech has a lot of pod space, pod-mounted jump jets, and goes the perfect speed for a 60 tonner. It also uses a standard engine, making the player less prone to...death by overheating I guess? Also, ECM. It was used as a second-line Mech, so I'm assuming it saw action during REVIVAL.

Woodsman - 75 tons
Posted Image
This mech has one of the best Mech designs out there. It looks great, has MASC, and a decent amount of pod space leftover to make a murderous loadout. Unfortunately is has only 2 canon variants and was phased out of service. But was it phased out of service by Operation REVIVAL? The description says it was used for a century, so I guess so, sadly.

Crossbow - 65 tons
Posted Image
First produced in 2870, it kinda looks like a Black Knight with the puffed-out chest and large arms. Oh wait, those arms are guns, nevermind. It's a very fast mech for its' size but it pays for that in next to no pod space. If this was in MWO I would pass on it, not enough tonnage to be reliable. Also low on variants.

Black Python - 75 tons
LOL, it's a jet with legs
Posted Image
This mech debuted in 3051 surprisingly, even though it looks like a Lostech design. Designated the Viper by Inner Sphere forces, it is a very fast 75 tonner at 86 kph, and housed jump jets in the chassis. This mech has less firepower to make up for the bigger engine, but that's okay since it still has a lot of pod space thanks to full use of weight-saving tech. Has enough variants to be included in MWO.

Linebacker - 65 tons
Posted Image
First produced in 3052, in time to invade the Inner Sphere. It's a speedy 65 tonner that trades the Timberwolf's armor and firepower for extra speed in a smaller package. The design is wonky, plus it was disliked by everyone that used it, so I presume that this isn't a likely Mech to be included in MWO. It has a lot of variants though, so who knows.

Night Gyr - 75 tons
Posted Image
First produced in 3052, it's another 75 ton mech that trades speed for firepower this time around. It's a slower humanoid Timberwolf basically, I don't think anyone would complain if it was added. It's low on missile omnipods but makes up for that with more dakka.

Assault Omnimechs not yet in-game or announced:

Kingfisher - 90 tons
Posted Image
Debuting in 2887 this powerhouse was so exceptional that it remains in use. Using a standard engine, this mech only goes 65kph (64.8 in mwo) but seems to be a cool mech to use. And I mean that literally, it comes with 17 fixed heat sinks! This heat dissipation, paired with the standard engine, causes the Kingfisher to suffer from a lack of firepower. Due to its' age, this mech has plenty of variants to choose from.

Naga - 80 tons
Posted Image
This missile boat debuted in 2945 alongside the Timberwolf and Gargoyle, respectively making a triumverate of firepower. The Naga is quite boring, sporting only 4 alternative variants each making merely minor changes to the PRIME configuration. The original art makes it an oversized Omnimech version of the Catapult as well, but at least it's blistering fast for a missile boat at 86kph.

Turkina - 95 tons
Posted Image
First entering service in 3052 and arriving on the battlefield in time for Tukayyid, this behemoth is actually rather dissapointing. It utilizes no upgrades, only a clan XL engine, and the mech goes only 54kph. It tries to make up for this with jump jets and 45 tons of pod space, but I argue that this mech is a tough sell for the MWO market. This mech has the most variants by far, though, so I guess it's an inevitable introduction to the game.
A better image, figurine:
Posted Image
Done by ogre of Battletech forums, source link

Source for all Omnimech information: Sarna.net, which subsequently gets its' sources directly from battletech readouts and other canon documents.

Apparently the place that I was getting all of these mechs from is incomplete (it's category:Omnimechs on Sarna) so I will have to update this post later on when I hunt the rest of the Clan Omnimechs down. Until then, let me know if I have excluded anything and I'm also interested as to whether or not fun little lists like this interest the forumer-goers of MWO!

I appreciate suggestions regarding this post's formatting. Also let me know if I posted it in the wrong section of the forums.

Quick question to anyone who reads this: should I include the Kodiak? Russ has mentioned the mech before in Town Halls in the past, so I wasn't sure. Also, there are a few different Clan non-omni Mechs out there that fit the timeline, maybe I should add those under an addendum?

Edited by Pezzer, 27 February 2015 - 05:15 AM.

#2 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:44 AM

oh, the firefalcon is cute, wtb

The pouncer, wow sady this artwoks is a40t mehc, this would look good and epic on an assault scale.

the black lanner looks like a fat sparrow

the black python, dunno artwork looks weird superthing legs, doesn't fits for an 75t mech, would with thsi legs be a proper looking light in a way of a more earodynamic remake of a raven.

The Linebacker looks great, would a bit too massive for 65 tons still great.

Edited by Lily from animove, 27 February 2015 - 05:44 AM.

#3 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:49 AM

I 100% agree with you on the Pouncer, when I first saw it I expected it to be 95 tons. I scrolled down the stats and almost spit out my coffee! It looks monolithic in shape and size, yes monolithic is the perfect description of it.

My first reaction to the Black Lanner was the same as yours, but after looking through so much BT artwork, you realize how awesome the Black Lanner's design is in comparison to a lot of that crap. I'm not a huge fan of most of the pre-3060 readout art...

The Black Python's art is very similar to Robotech's in regards to the legs. Other than that, it's literally a jet fighter. Take an F-15, chop the wings off, then give it arms and legs. Congrats, you have a Black Python. You can still see the jet engine cones on the back, and where the wings were chopped off, connecting the arms and torso. It's hilarious!

Edited by Pezzer, 27 February 2015 - 05:53 AM.

#4 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:08 AM

View PostPezzer, on 27 February 2015 - 05:49 AM, said:

I 100% agree with you on the Pouncer, when I first saw it I expected it to be 95 tons. I scrolled down the stats and almost spit out my coffee! It looks monolithic in shape and size, yes monolithic is the perfect description of it.

I had this with the artic fox as a random result when googling

Posted Image

guess this was mostly caused by the tiny missile rack and the way how slim the cockpit window actually is. I wonder how the view from this "slit vision" even would be.

Edited by Lily from animove, 27 February 2015 - 06:10 AM.

#5 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:09 AM

Pretty much lmao, there isn't any way to gauge the size of a mech based on the old white background art

#6 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:15 AM

View PostPezzer, on 27 February 2015 - 06:09 AM, said:

Pretty much lmao, there isn't any way to gauge the size of a mech based on the old white background art

yes but it shows hot the details and the scale if a simple picture can trick impression (especially when missile racks suddenly are so supertiny.

Imagine the Warhawk would have a lot less details

Posted Image

could easily also be a 30t or 40t mech with a lrm 10 rack and 4 CERML or CERSL.

Edited by Lily from animove, 27 February 2015 - 06:16 AM.

#7 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:56 AM

View PostOzealot, on 27 February 2015 - 06:34 AM, said:

Black Lanner!

Posted Image

That bulldozer gunclaw though.

#8 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:08 PM

Points for mentioning the Black Lanner and the Linebacker. Haven't seen either of those in a looooong time.

#9 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:14 AM

Fire Moth was the first mech I ever used. Would love to see it in this game, don't care if it doesn't have MASC the clans need a Light that is actually fast.

Linebacker was a very fun mech in MW2:Mercs

#10 Valdae Levien

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:46 AM

Does anyone know how many IRL years we have to wait for the Kodiak? I want it. Like, now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users