8 replies to this topic

#1 charov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:37 AM

PGI hasn't released their idea about MASC yet, so here's mine. I'll try to make this short.

I'm not an expert of the TT, but looking at sarna I found that a turn should represent 10" of a real battle. Also, I found that MASC freezes the leg actuators at 3+ on the first turn, 4+ on the second, 5+ on the third etc. Therefore I suppose that is quite safe for a couple of turns (ok, I shouldn't say that: I used to play Warhammer 40k TT and I am the only person on this world to have stuck a Baneblade and a Malcador in one turn, that's four 1 on four consecutive D6..).
Basically, my idea is that MASC should generate 1 heat in the first second, 2 heats on the second, 3 heat on the third etc.

TL;DR: MASC should generate 1hps, cumulative.

Possible objections:
  • MASC can be used for too long! No, not really. Especially in hotter maps, you usually have a 5%-8% of heat constantly generated while you move. Also, if you use jump jets you speed up the overheating process. Finally, you can't almost shoot with the MASC on, otherwise you'll shutdown very quickly.
  • MASC can be used for too short time! No, again not really. It's a short period if you manage it badly. You are not supposed to keep firing alpha with MASC activated and not overheat! If you manage it properly it gives to enough time to reposition your mech, move from the first to the second line. Also, more DHS means a longer run with the MASC turned on and also coolshots can reduce the heat a bit. MASC is an asset, it's up to you to use it properly.
In order to avoid exploiters, MASC should have a cooldown time. Since MASC is heavier for bigger mechs and gives less advantages (since the added speed is a percentage), I think we can reduce the cooldown of this device on them. Cooldown perhaps could be 45″-150%(MASC weight[t]): e.g. Executioner → 39″, Shadow cat → 42″). Keep in mind that on a 95t such as the Executioner, MASC weights 4t and takes up 4 critical slots. It’s a huge device and should be used as often as possible, otherwise is just a cumbersome piece of junk (hardwired also, lol).

Also, I think that MASC shouldn’t shut down your mech when overheating. If the Override is on then it should damage your legs, otherwise should be automatically deactivated. This should reduce the workload for the pilot but I fear it can be exploited somehow..

Here are some tests.
Each second adds 1 heat to the heat generated and also previous non dissipated heat must be taken into account. When the H-HPSD (→ Heat – Heat Per Second Dissipated) is more than the heat capacity, the MASC is deactivated or the mechs shuts down due to overheat (unless Override is on).
[All data come from smurfy]

MASC TEST – 10 DHS
Shadow Cat stock build mounts 10 DHS. MASC weights 2t per 2 critical slots. Speed is 97.2, 106.9 post tweak.
10 DHS dissipate 2.3 hps and have a total capacity of 60.
Posted Image

MASC TEST – 16 DHS
The Executioner stock comes with 16 DHS hardwired, MASC weights 4t and 4 takes crits. Speed is 64.8 kph, 71.2 kph post tweak.
16 DHS can dissipate 3.27 hps per second when Mastered, and have a heat capacity of 70.08.
Posted Image

MASC TEST – 22 DHS
Here’s another test with 22 DHS. 4.23 hps (Master) can be dissipated and the heat capacity is 80.16.
Posted Image

MASC TEST – 26 DHS
A mech with 26 DHS can dissipate 4.88 hps (Master) and have a capacity of 86.88.
Posted Image

Analysis
This is a chart of the data collected. I haven’t interpolated the data, so the last second before overheating is not correct – the chart is just to have a better overall view, though.
Posted Image

So, I think that my idea can work quite well. Lighter mechs usually have less DHS so the ability to use MASC for shorter time is a trade off for its lighter weight. Also, different cooldown time should make the MASC more appealing on heavier mechs. Also, since both weight of the mech and number of DHS interact with how long you can use it and its cooldown, how a mech is built become more important.
Clan MASC probably will be hardwired. Mechs that comes with it could also be quirked a bit in order to make it more efficient – that’s the point of quirks, isn’t it?
Final note: this is pure theory-crafting. Perhaps the heat generated could be 1.1/s or 0.9/s but this tweaks can be done only on the field. I hope you like my idea!

Original post: http://red.iswt.it/m...th-numbers/1177

Edited by red devil2, 27 February 2015 - 01:38 AM.

#2 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:50 AM

Yes its one of the better and simpler to implement ideas.
Simply make it be a turbo boost button which generates heat at whatever rate feels right.

Heat takes care of the time limit, using it limits your firepower as a penalty, stops lights abusing its lag shield while circle strafing.

Could also make it so that hitting heat limit while MASC engaged causes the damage to the legs instead of CT, which brings it more in line with its original leg damage/freeze risk.

Time limits can be simplified by making minimum activation time 2 seconds or so.
While they are putting that 2 sec minimum in they can also add it to JJ's to remove the JJ feathering which confuses HSR.

#3 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:05 AM

make it like MW3 masc, it ws constantly and slowy heating up the mech. would in MWO be a serious drawbakc for laserboats and alos limit its use by time even for heat neutral builds.

#4 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:12 AM

I'd rather have the regular system.

For the Executioner and Shadcat, they will probably have MASC hardlocked into the mech, meaning a system like this would just punish them, but especially the Executioner who will probably have to rely on energy focused builds meaning a heat system just punishes them in heat, tonnage, and slots.

wouldn't be worth it at all.

I'd refer it just damage the legs if you use it too long. like after 5 seconds you risk taking damage, and that chance increases every like 5 seconds.

#5 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:41 AM

View PostBrody319, on 27 February 2015 - 02:12 AM, said:

For the Executioner and Shadcat, they will probably have MASC hardlocked into the mech, meaning a system like this would just punish them, but especially the Executioner who will probably have to rely on energy focused builds meaning a heat system just punishes them in heat, tonnage, and slots.

I'd refer it just damage the legs if you use it too long. like after 5 seconds you risk taking damage, and that chance increases every like 5 seconds.

I'd much prefer to have controllable and predictable extra heat that forces some cooldown time after use, than getting random permanent damage to my mech. THAT, to me, doesn't sound like it'd be worth anything, especially with the longer matches we now get in CW. Naturally, you have the right to have a differing opinion, I can respect that.

Even with a pure energy boat Executioner, a heat based MASC could obviously be handy to have when you need to get into cover fast, or simply when you need to move around the map as fast as possible in a non-combat situation. And, if you really want to use it in combat all the time, just add some low heat weapons to your build, like a single Gauss or some UAC5s.

I hope it's a heat based system instead of a "I feel lucky" button.

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:50 AM

My seven MG Scat agrees with heat as MASC penalty. ;)

#7 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:00 AM

View PostBrody319, on 27 February 2015 - 02:12 AM, said:

No random chances. Lolno. If there's gonna be leg damage or any other penalty, it should be on a very specific and exact time frame, say you use it for "X" consecutive seconds and then it kicks in.

Also, the damage should be based on a percentage of the total leg internals rather than a static value, so that big MASC mechs can't leave it on for huge lengths of time and small MASC mechs can afford to use it for more than 5 seconds.

#8 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:31 AM

jeeez. Let the masc first find it way into the game. Perhaps its already fine

#9 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:10 AM

I don't like the "heat" part.