Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationThird Planet on the right.

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:12 AM

Two points I wanted to bring up.

To start with and most importantly: I still have the original ISOs, released on mechcommander.org, for MechCommander Gold, and MechCommander 2. If anybody is interested, I am more than willing to upload them wherever is most convenient for everyone. Assuming thats not breaking any laws?!?! Please let me know if it does.

Secondly, and more importantly for me: I am trying to find someone who may be able to help me out with my MechCommander problems. I recently upgraded to a new laptop. I'm running on an ASUS G750JS-DS71:

Windows 8.1
Intel i7-4700HQ with built in display driver (Intel HD Graphics 4600)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M
16GB Ram

I immediately installed MechCommander Gold and MechCommander 2. MechCommander Gold runs with absolutely no problems. All I did was copy all the data off the ISO into a self created MCG folder, and leave the ISO mounted to play. I don't even have to run it in Compatibility mode. So I'm having a great time all round with that.

MechCommander 2 however is causing me some more problems. I have tried:

Original MC2 ISO and MC2 Free Source: mounted/unmounted ISO, with/without Wolfman-X patch
MechCommander Omnitech 424

I've tried dozens of fixes mentioned on countless forum threads, but none of them helped.

The Problem: Whenever I start the game, I end up with a graphics issue. With all the different installations, with various different fixes tried across the board, when the game is done loading the main menu screen, the graphics are distorted and there are all sorts of images overlapping my entire screen.

I have added a few examples, which you can find using the following Dropbox link, in case you may be able to help.

https://www.dropbox....vqBrTz6lsa?dl=0

My previous laptop also ran WIndows 8.1, and had no issues with MC2, so I am at a loss, and if anyone can help, I would be immensely greatful, and hopefully it can resolve issues for others as well.

#2 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:52 AM

I originally had graphical issues with MC2 on my Windows 8.1 setup, though if I recall, it looked a bit different from yours. In any case, I managed to run MC2 fine by doing the following:
1.) Running the MC2 executable as an administrator, but NO compatibility modes.
2.) Deleting I think the badcard.csv and vidcard.csv files in the MC2 directory.

I don't have the freesource version, as I could never figure out how to compile the thing. Also to note, I run ATI on my laptop. That said, give it a try and see if it will work.

When you get into the game, disable the Hardware Mouse Update check box under options. Hopefully it will work flawlessly after that.

#3 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:59 AM

MC2 is available for free at Microsoft. Shame just is that microsoft itself with its OS does not support downaward compatibility properly :/

#4 Ironslug

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:56 PM

View PostSylonce, on 27 February 2015 - 08:52 AM, said:

I originally had graphical issues with MC2 on my Windows 8.1 setup, though if I recall, it looked a bit different from yours. In any case, I managed to run MC2 fine by doing the following:
2.) Deleting I think the badcard.csv and vidcard.csv files in the MC2 directory.

I don't have the freesource version, as I could never figure out how to compile the thing. Also to note, I run ATI on my laptop. That said, give it a try and see if it will work.

When you get into the game, disable the Hardware Mouse Update check box under options. Hopefully it will work flawlessly after that.

Thanks for that Sylonce. It works great now. reinstalled it and ran it as Admin, and ran perfectly, even with the badcard.csv and vidcard.csv still in place. I gave it another try without them and that actually messed it up.

It's a shame I'm at work right now. Otherwise I would have left it running. :D

Edited by Ironslug, 27 February 2015 - 06:57 PM.

#5 Ironslug

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:01 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 27 February 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

MC2 is available for free at Microsoft. Shame just is that microsoft itself with its OS does not support downaward compatibility properly :/

To be honest, I'm actually surprised at how well MechCommander Gold worked without any tweaking or messing around. I just copied all the data off the ISO onto my Laptop, and it ran like a dream from the getgo. MechCommander 2 however was a bit trickier. When I ran them both on Windows 7 I had tons of issues getting either one of them to work, and in the end they both ended up being squished into little tiles in the center of the screen. Windows 8.1 in was much easier overal, and they don't get crammed into tiny windows, it actually expands them, without stectching, to fit my screen.

Edited by Ironslug, 27 February 2015 - 07:27 PM.

#6 Ironslug

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:40 PM

View PostSylonce, on 27 February 2015 - 08:52 AM, said:

Well. I had a bit of time on my hands, soooo.... I decided to mess around a little more.

MechCommander Omnitech 424:

1) Installed it and ran it as Admin. Still had the same issue as before.
2) Copied the badcard.csv and vidcard.csv from my MechCommander 2 installation folder, into the MechCommander Omnitech 424 installation folder.
3) Ran it as Admin again (no other compatibility changes), runs like a dream.

Wolfman MC2-X Standalone
1) Installed it and ran it as Admin. Same issue as before.
2) Copied the badcard.csv and vidcard.csv from my MechCommander 2 installation folder, into the Wolfman MC2-X installation folder.
3) Ran it as Admin again (no other compatibility changes), runs like a dream.

It's weird how for some the badcard.csv, and vidcard.csv need to be deleted and for me it's the exact opposite.

Next I'm gonna try the Wolfman-X patch on my regular MechCommander 2 installation. So I'll keep you guys updated.

Edited by Ironslug, 27 February 2015 - 08:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users