27 replies to this topic

#1 Icthelion

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:30 AM

Ok... I have put lots of time into mastering my mediums and getting pretty good at lights. So now I have gone to heavies, and man do I suck. I mean... I knew that there would be some differences, but me in a heavy is incompetence in motion... albeit slow motion. Is this standard for learning a new class, or should I just stay away from heavies in general?

Oh... ahem... Im in a Dragon... I know... I know....

#2 Setun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 172 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:35 AM

It's like that with piloting a new weight class you're not used to. I pilot heavies / assaults 90% of the time, so my initial drops in lights / mediums were pretty awful. Just got to keep at it, and try different heavy mechs along the way. For instance I now have Locusts and Hunchbacks as my go-to lights / mediums after messing around with other chasis'.

You should give the Orions a test run when possible. They're durable, have hardpoints similar to Timberwolves (they are the inspiration behind the Timber Wolf after all), and are surprisingly maneuverable for a 75 ton heavy.

Edited by Setun, 28 February 2015 - 12:37 AM.

#3 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:44 AM

Heavies are slower than mediums, but not by a lot. Part of the problem is you don't have speed tweak unlocked. You also don't have the basic skills unlocked either which improves your manueverability (seriously, look at the basic skills. Nearly all of them increase your twisting or movement), nor do you have 2x basic skills unlocked yet (doubling those effects). The other part is you might want to put a bigger engine in it. I think most players upgrade the engine in most heavies.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:36 AM

An elited mech has 2x basics...
Which include: 55% faster acceleration, 50% faster brakes, something like 25 or 30% faster torso twist... it's... really quite obscene.

And without them, you'll just have some issues.

#5 StonedDead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationOn a rock, orbiting a giant nuclear reactor

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:42 AM

Nothing wrong with a Dragon, nothing wrong with any mech. It takes time to get a build, get them mastered, get used to them. Echoing what everyone else said, give it time.

#6 Icthelion

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:12 AM

Its kind of what I figured. I have to relearn the maps too, like that little viridian swamp stump is not problem in my jump jet light, but its a obstacle in my heavy brick house... nnooooo I stump! I cant move! The torso twist and arm movement takes more time. Torso twisting in a lighter mech keeps up with arm movement pretty well... while in the heavies your arms are way the hell out of place while you are still twisting...

I just wanted to confirm if this was a thing with everyone or if I am especially ********... Thanks all.

#7 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:46 AM

You haven't run an atlas yet. That thing feels like an old man with a walking stick.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:04 PM

View PostIcthelion, on 28 February 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

The torso twist and arm movement takes more time. Torso twisting in a lighter mech keeps up with arm movement pretty well... while in the heavies your arms are way the hell out of place while you are still twisting..

if you are finding torso twist or arm movement too slow then consider putting in a higher rated engine, e.g. a 300 engine (XL or standard makes no difference) will make the Mech twist significantly faster than a 250 engine

#9 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:19 PM

The difference between a non-elited and elited mech gets more and more noticable as you get heavier, particuarly for any mech build that depends on some degree of maneuverability. The 3 chassis elited, then see if they still suck for you.

#10 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:34 PM

lights to heavy transition needs a fast heavy,try QKD-5K with 300 XL and 2 LPL + 4 ML,has good quirks,good mobility and range

#11 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:58 PM

Your Dragon should not feel that much different than a medium. Anyways, as you get heavier and slower greater importance is placed on positioning and defensive torso twisting since your speed no long helps spread out damage for you and people will easily be able to focus fire on a specific location on your mech.

Examine the important hard points on your mech and determine the best way to come out from cover. Is your most dangerous weapon on your low slung right arm? Stepping out to the right of a building is probably the best way to expose yourself. Once you've fired your shot you need to twist your body to protect your most important component and spread damage around. Being careful to not trade shots against superior number is another good thing to learn, because you wont have the speed to get out of that situation with minimal damage.

Edited by Rouken, 28 February 2015 - 03:00 PM.

#12 The Shredder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 178 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:30 PM

The Stock Dragon is really well shy of its overall potential. Pop in a faster engine, take advantage of those quirks, and it will become a beast for you. They are tough, reliable, and with the top engine in them will hit speeds over 100 KPH. They are generally decent heavies to field an XL engine in as well, since most of the time you go down to hits to the nose. (CT)

For added punch, I like putting a NARC unit in that center missile slot. Nobody expects it, and anything you can do to counter all that ECM is a bonus.

Quickdraws do play a bit like slightly slower Shadowhawks. Sometimes it can be a problem, because you think you've got better armor than you do, but when you deploy it similar to how you would deploy a Medium, it makes all the difference. A broad chest means I'd avoid XL engines if possible, though.

Thunderbolts are great heavy 'Mechs, and they really exemplify the Heavy Class in general. They can handle a wide variety of roles, too.

Cataphracts are a design based upon one of the several attempts to "Re-see" the Marauder. In fact, the MAD-4X and the Cataphract 3D/IM are very similar 'Mechs, with the 3D capable of fielding enough jump jets to overcome some of the sluggishness of the 70-ton frame.

And Orions... Love 'em. Pick up the Protector, the K and the M, and have some fun. The VA is quite a bit of fun as well, but generally as a Medium and Light pilot running Heavy missile builds will have the biggest learning curve.

Anyways, hope this helped. Looking forward to the Grasshopper!

#13 Icthelion

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:54 PM

View Postdragnier1, on 28 February 2015 - 08:46 AM, said:

You haven't run an atlas yet. That thing feels like an old man with a walking stick.

I was thinking about dropping real life cash to buy the atlas bundle, so I tried the trial run, and changed my mind. I really want to like that mech though... Its one of the few designs that were originally cool looking

View PostRogue Jedi, on 28 February 2015 - 02:04 PM, said:

if you are finding torso twist or arm movement too slow then consider putting in a higher rated engine, e.g. a 300 engine (XL or standard makes no difference) will make the Mech twist significantly faster than a 250 engine

I got used to it, and the XP improvements helped.

View PostZekester81, on 28 February 2015 - 04:42 AM, said:

Nothing wrong with a Dragon, nothing wrong with any mech. It takes time to get a build, get them mastered, get used to them. Echoing what everyone else said, give it time.

Fo shizzle my nizzle. I just wanted to get a ping on everyones experience. Just a little self doubt.

View PostThe Shredder, on 28 February 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

Cataphracts are a design based upon one of the several attempts to "Re-see" the Marauder. In fact, the MAD-4X and the Cataphract 3D/IM are very similar 'Mechs, with the 3D capable of fielding enough jump jets to overcome some of the sluggishness of the 70-ton frame.

I would drop some cash if they brought back the unseen mechs. Legally it aint happenin though. Oh to see the archer, longbow, marauder, rifleman and warhammer again...

Edited by Icthelion, 28 February 2015 - 07:55 PM.

#14 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:38 PM

Yeah, and yet somehow, i'm still holding on to my really old DDC.

If you're looking to the "equivalent" of the unseen mechs you could try the Jagermech, but that mech has slower mobility than the 60 tonners.

With 2x basic and speed tweak, they become a lot better though

#15 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:41 PM

View PostIcthelion, on 28 February 2015 - 07:54 PM, said:

I would drop some cash if they brought back the unseen mechs. Legally it aint happenin though. Oh to see the archer, longbow, marauder, rifleman and warhammer again...

Some of the Unseen have indeed become re-seen.

Locust, Shadowhaw, Griffin, Wolverine, Thunderbolt, and Battlemaster.

Were the first package since the Founders.

#16 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:22 AM

The Harmony Gold ones he named though are unlikely to ever appear here.

#17 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:01 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 01 March 2015 - 12:22 AM, said:

The Harmony Gold ones he named though are unlikely to ever appear here.

Are these the "robotech" look-a-likes?

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

View PostIcthelion, on 28 February 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

I just wanted to confirm if this was a thing with everyone or if I am especially ********... Thanks all.

It's a bit with everyone on the first big change.

View Postdragnier1, on 01 March 2015 - 09:01 AM, said:

Are these the "robotech" look-a-likes?

Yes, yes they are.

View PostIcthelion, on 28 February 2015 - 07:54 PM, said:

To note:
Rifleman actually is in MWO -- if you nevermind the slight difference in looks.
Take a peek at the Firebrand's hardpoints and general shape, then compare to the Rifleman. Notice something? Wink, wink.

Far as the torso movement being slow -- I know you said you got used to it, but here's a tip for the Dragon.
Your arms are big.
Your arms move.
I'm from an age of this game where Atlases and Dragons would punch AC/20 rounds (barely bother twisting, and SWING that arm down on that round to tank it like a bowss! (Or however they phoneticize 'boss' to sound like it does in that song).

-------
I'm dead serious. Back when the Muromets first came out, pure stock I went one on one with an Atlas because it was conquest and that slow 48 kph or less mech was all by his lonesome... and we brawled. I'd twist away and raise my arms to soak up damage when his shots came. He didn't bother 'really' twisting, instead he just jerked a bit to one side and suddenly arm-aimed in such a way that he'd swat my AC/10 down like it was a fly!

Posted Image My AC/10 rounds were on the receiving end of this.

I did wind up winning, just because it turned out he didn't have crap for armor on his legs! But by the time I pulled out of that fight I had 1 laser left.

#19 zeta44

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:00 PM

That's the nice thing about clan heavies, they may be expensive however their speed is an extremely helpful factor and they still pack a punch

#20 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:20 PM

DRG is a good mech since quirks, dont judge your skills in a heavy till uhave them elited, heavies feel like a 100ton assault till u get elites even the clan heavies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users