17 replies to this topic

#1 Voodoomancer

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:52 PM

Hi all,

Has anyone noticed that the Dragon-1N is a *terror* now? It gets +50% cooldown on the AC/5; when you add Fast Fire and level 5 cooldown module, it has (depending on how they stack) up to *67%* cooldown improvement. Which, I think, makes it fire nearly as fast as an AC/2, and gives you > 10 DPS sustained until you run out of ammo. I've been doing better than 2 kill / 4 assist / 500 damage in at least half the pug matches I've played in it, and I *suck* normally.

Anyhow, the reason this is particularly important is the incoming drop-deck increase to 250T in the March 3rd patch. 250T makes it possible to drop with 2 TDR + 2 DRG - so 2 x TDR-9S and 2 x DRG-1N if you are so inclined. And if they don't seriously nerf the 1N at the same time, then a deck full of 1Ns would be terrifying even for vat-rats to face.

Just throwing that out there to my fellow Space Vikings. We need all the advantage we can get over the Clans.

Edit: testing in Testing Grounds shows 10 intervals in under 6 seconds, 20 intervals in 11.25 - so with Fast Fire + level 5 model the AC5 cooldown is less that 0.6 seconds. That's the same sustained DPS as 3 AC/20's!

Edited by Voodoomancer, 28 February 2015 - 07:03 PM.

#2 Molossian Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:33 PM

It remains a Dragon.

#3 DelphiAuriga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 166 posts
  • LocationCanary Islands, in the planet Skandia ;)

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:18 PM

Troubles are: survive for long enough to actually deplete ur low amo count with 2xAC5. Dragons arent specially good mechs in avoiding dmg to the SideTorsos, and to actually load the needed ammo to stay in battle u need a XL engine.

These could work:
DRG-1N 2xAC5 (15T ammo=450), XL275/280 (80kph)
DRG-1N 2xAC5 (12.5T ammo=375), 2MLas, XL275/280 (80kph)
DRG-1N 2xAC5 (10T ammo=300), 1xERLLas, XL275/280 (80kph)
DRG-1N 2xAC5 (8T ammo=240), 1xERPPC, XL275/280 (80kph)

Still any semi-skilled player will instantly start to target ur right side in nearly any mech, cause most of them tend to have the main weapon hardpoints there, and bring u down to something no-so-cool in a couple alphas (with full 40 points of armour, the arm have 60 total points of Health).

For that i think that probably best choices are ERLLas or ERPPC vers, cause u have a solid long range backup, but to actually have the mech as a ballistic platform u cant sacrifice many tons in HeatSinks, so they are basically hot and probably prone to be troublesomes in ranges under 250/450meters.

To me the most balanced is the 2xMLas ver, but making urself to the idea that they are there as defense only, not as offensive weapons, so they can end being a waste of tonnage for a CW mech, also taking into account that u have to re-armour the left arm to top taking out 0.5T of AC5 ammo (15 bullets).

EDIT: one last thing to remember is that ammo Tons count by 1/2 in order to calculate ur time-in-battle, so 8T really only means 4T, that is 2T/gun of time-in-battle. Quite low for CW.

Edited by DelphiAuriga, 28 February 2015 - 08:21 PM.

#4 -Natural Selection-

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:05 PM

We have ran into pure dragon drops. Right ct or arm and done.

#5 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:21 AM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 28 February 2015 - 07:33 PM, said:

It remains a Dragon.

#6 DaemonWulfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:04 AM

The Dragon's geometry is what's going to keep it from being an effective mech in large numbers. Despite their capability for damage, they are very easily disarmed or just straight up CT popped. It has the same problem as Catapults. Everyone aims for the big fat nose when they see it. It might work, but you'd need a very good team of brawlers capable of staying in the clanners' faces until they're all dead.

I don't know, maybe it could work. Depends on the team.

Edited by DaemonWulfe, 01 March 2015 - 09:06 AM.

#7 Wingbreaker

Troubadour

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationThe city that care forgot

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:42 AM

View PostDaemonWulfe, on 01 March 2015 - 09:04 AM, said:

The Dragon's geometry is what's going to keep it from being an effective mech in large numbers. Despite their capability for damage, they are very easily disarmed or just straight up CT popped. It has the same problem as Catapults. Everyone aims for the big fat nose when they see it. It might work, but you'd need a very good team of brawlers capable of staying in the clanners' faces until they're all dead.

I don't know, maybe it could work. Depends on the team.

The simple fact is that it takes two burns (most clan alphas range from 40-55) to pop the side torsos (83 total hp if fully front-loaded), and because it must necessarily expose them for damage, most pilots settle in to the glass-cannon mindset.

These two factors together mean that most Durgon pilots are easy prey, and get taken by any team's crackshots quickly. Dragon pilots must immediately begin twisting the moment they see a laser burn coming in, or they will be quickly dispatched.

Also, front load the **** out of that right front side torso: 55/1 will give you the edge necessary. If someone flanks you, it's your own fault.

Edited by Wingbreaker, 01 March 2015 - 09:46 AM.

#8 EldenLance

• PipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:24 AM

<---- Dragon maniac here.

I currently run a full drop of dragons, but not only the 1Ns. You probably have seen me out there and the damage I manage to pull off. The dragon requires some skill to master however - you have to learn not to take shots. Have to feel the moment when clanners start focusing at you (and they will start. sooner or later they will.) and disengage at once, switch position or just wait a bit. The rest of your team may quite hurt them while they are looking for a dragon, lol.

But the 1N is not my favorite. Surprisingly, it is the 5n that I see as a most capable in dealing the damage. Resons:
1) A single UAC5 with +25%(+42.5%) has almost the same DPS in "jamming mode" as do two plain AC5s with +50%(+67.5%). When it jams you just disengage, as you were going to do it anyways because clanners have noticed a dragon and are going to focus.
2) You carry a dual LPLs in your other arm. With +15%(+22,5%) to its cooldown and -15% duration. Imagine that.
3) (my favorite) It is not the 1N. Clanner's reaction be like: "omg!omg! dragon! kill it!.. ah.. not a 1N. Lets focus that crab instead." - big mistake. Don't ignore heavy mechs. Or "Focus right arm! great, his weapon is down(jam shows red too) now finish him! omg, the cannon is still firing! again?! focus on RA!! Wait, not 1N! His main weapon are those lasers! focus LA!" - even damage distribution is what you get.

But it may as well kill you instantly if you dont know how to handle it. The 5n excells at killing its pilots. it is not an easy mode at all. it will jam on your first shot, then jam again as soon as it unjams. It will overheat on any occasion at sulphurous. It will pop its cockpit ammo on the very first moment you hit 'o', sending you flying into poisonous purple grass of hellebore. It is unforgiving, dangerous, challenging. And thats what I love it for. (like playing for Rashalague is not challenging enough, right.)

TL;DR: 1N is good. It is prolly the best dragon available, and I have two 1Ns in my drop deck, but my heart is with the volatile 5N.

PS: And my 4th is the FANG. 100kph, ac10 and 2LLs. Rushing/brawling style. The FLAME is my spare. And the 1C I the only one I dont like.

#9 Havanastyles

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:33 PM

I generally like the dragons with duel ac/5. I guess that is because i am a scrub lord though.

#10 DaemonWulfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

Y'all are making me want to pilot Dragons again. I haven't touched them in two years.

#11 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

After such a long time you will have to take them to dinner first at least.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 03 March 2015 - 04:37 PM.

#12 MahKraah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 192 posts
  • LocationSaffel Dierondistrict

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:11 AM

the dragon 1n is a dps monster
but as stated bevore it is way to fragil to field dragons only
it is THE support mech for assaults .
the assaults engage and catch the dammage than the dragons come out of cover and cut down what ever is buissy with the assaults.
so everything above 4 dragons per wave might be too much and counterproductive.
played in that role the dragon is a real asset to the team.

#13 Voodoomancer

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 07:40 PM

Food for thought here.

My main experience has been in the public queue, and the best times in my 1N have been when I flank and force the enemy to turn around (and if a 2AC5 DRG-1N gets behind you, you *have* to turn around) - then the rest of the team can push. That's not so easy in CW.

#14 Autofire55555

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:17 PM

Why do we argue? FRR manufactures Dragons. Case closed.

#15 Hersaint

• PipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:32 AM

View PostEldenLance, on 02 March 2015 - 03:24 AM, said:

<---- Dragon maniac here.

I currently run a full drop of dragons, but not only the 1Ns. You probably have seen me out there and the damage I manage to pull off. The dragon requires some skill to master however - you have to learn not to take shots. Have to feel the moment when clanners start focusing at you (and they will start. sooner or later they will.) and disengage at once, switch position or just wait a bit. The rest of your team may quite hurt them while they are looking for a dragon, lol.

But the 1N is not my favorite. Surprisingly, it is the 5n that I see as a most capable in dealing the damage. Resons:
1) A single UAC5 with +25%(+42.5%) has almost the same DPS in "jamming mode" as do two plain AC5s with +50%(+67.5%). When it jams you just disengage, as you were going to do it anyways because clanners have noticed a dragon and are going to focus.
2) You carry a dual LPLs in your other arm. With +15%(+22,5%) to its cooldown and -15% duration. Imagine that.
3) (my favorite) It is not the 1N. Clanner's reaction be like: "omg!omg! dragon! kill it!.. ah.. not a 1N. Lets focus that crab instead." - big mistake. Don't ignore heavy mechs. Or "Focus right arm! great, his weapon is down(jam shows red too) now finish him! omg, the cannon is still firing! again?! focus on RA!! Wait, not 1N! His main weapon are those lasers! focus LA!" - even damage distribution is what you get.

But it may as well kill you instantly if you dont know how to handle it. The 5n excells at killing its pilots. it is not an easy mode at all. it will jam on your first shot, then jam again as soon as it unjams. It will overheat on any occasion at sulphurous. It will pop its cockpit ammo on the very first moment you hit 'o', sending you flying into poisonous purple grass of hellebore. It is unforgiving, dangerous, challenging. And thats what I love it for. (like playing for Rashalague is not challenging enough, right.)

TL;DR: 1N is good. It is prolly the best dragon available, and I have two 1Ns in my drop deck, but my heart is with the volatile 5N.

PS: And my 4th is the FANG. 100kph, ac10 and 2LLs. Rushing/brawling style. The FLAME is my spare. And the 1C I the only one I dont like.

Just got the dragon fang on sale. Love your passion for the dragon. Thanks for the tips from everyone. See you in game

#16 Vhetra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 187 posts
  • LocationRadstadt

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:05 PM

Dragons are great when you know what you're doing, but in CW? Maybe one or two for fire support while the heavier mechs roll in. They can dish out some mad damage, though.

#17 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:53 AM

Dragon's aren't as strong as they were before the re-balancing. Prior to the re-balancing a good pilot could overcome some of the Dragons handicaps (hitbox sizes and requirement of facetime for serious damage) to make it a nearly tier 1 mech in a IS dropdeck. However with the nerfs, it can no longer make that case.

#18 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:35 AM

View PostMech The Dane, on 06 January 2016 - 01:53 AM, said:

Dragon's aren't as strong as they were before the re-balancing. Prior to the re-balancing a good pilot could overcome some of the Dragons handicaps (hitbox sizes and requirement of facetime for serious damage) to make it a nearly tier 1 mech in a IS dropdeck. However with the nerfs, it can no longer make that case.

This thread was before the nerf, Dane, and you just necro'd it. =P

EDIT: Oh right... it was that Hersaint dude. woups. Posted Image

Edited by Tarogato, 06 January 2016 - 02:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users