72 replies to this topic

#1 Homeless Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:15 AM

Major League MechWarrior's first week of matches gets started tomorrow. This week, the bottom 16 seeds will play the first round, so it should be an interesting set of games. Matches this week will be a best-of-three series on Frozen City Night. In other news, the website has been updated, the bracket has been posted, and MWOLN will be shoutcasting whatever we can.

Seeds and Bracket

Though I'm working with /u/snafets on a custom bracket display for the website, I can't guarantee that's going to work at this point. In the meantime, this will be the official place to view the bracket: http://challonge.com...ueMechWarriorS1

And while you're there, be sure to make your prediction for the Winner's bracket before the first match is entered in (at which point you will no longer be able to make one). There will be a 2000MC prize for the closest bracket, and possibly prizes for runners-up. For anyone that just wants to see the list of seeds (based on aggregate Elo of the top 15 players on each team), here you go:
  • EmpyreaL [EmP]
  • Steel Jaguar [SJR]
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar [CSJx]
  • 228th IBR - Black Watch [228]
  • Antares Scorpions [AS]
  • Mercstar Axis of Ignorance [-MS-]
  • 228th IBR - Swamp Foxes [228]
  • QQ Mercs [QQ]
  • Seraphim: Rising Storm [SRPH]
  • Comstar Irregulars [CI]
  • Mercstar Turret Drops [-MS-]
  • Tikonov Commonality Armed Forces [TCAF]
  • Restless Adder [(RA)]
  • Night Watch Mercenary Coalition [NWMC]
  • Stratagame Mercs Corporation and Affiliates [SMCA]
  • Phoenix Company [PC]
  • Isengrim [ISEN]
  • MarineMechs [MM]
  • Inferno Express [INEX]
  • Apocalypse Lancers [APOC]
  • Ransom's Corsairs [RC]
  • 2nd Federated Suns Armored Cavalry [FSAC]
  • Death's Hand Brigade [DHB]
  • New Texas Mercenaries [NTEX]
Updated Website and Schedule

Check out http://MajorLeagueMechWarrior.com for the tournament schedule and a couple of updated rules. Week 1 - 5 will be best-of-three and Week 6 - 11 will be best-of-five, and the designated map for each week has been finalized.

Shoutcasting

Heimdelight and I are working on getting as many matches as we can shoutcasted by either MWOLN or NGNG. Stop by http://mwoln.com for upcoming match schedules and past broadcasts. We will be giving away 125 Mechbays and 20000+MC over the course of the tournament to players and viewers alike, so be sure to tune in!

Spoiler

Original Post
Spoiler

Addendum: Updates

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Homeless Bill, 19 April 2015 - 04:32 PM.

#2 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:17 AM

**** yeah.

#3 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:39 AM

I endorse this effort. You guys (heimdelight and HomelessBIll) are supremely AWS.

Posted Image
(borrowed from here http://mwomercs.com/...iverse-history/)

#4 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:52 AM

Cogratulations on setting up the league!

One critical note. With all respect it's a fun idea, but why would take anyone this game serious as a competitive base? I mean as the game have not enough problems regarding balance and more.

The thing i am missing out is a proper start or better said a well crafted (and respected) competitive enviroment from PGI. This only can happen when the game is at a better state with for example balance. While true, apart from that one of their biggest projects PGI crafted is C.W. but then again, i am not considering anything as of competitive while the game is in a broken state.

I fear this tournament won't be a very widespread one. I could be wrong, but i wish anyone who are joining it the very best of luck.

Edited by Sarlic, 02 March 2015 - 11:53 AM.

#5 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:57 AM

...money?

Hmm...

#6 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:00 PM

Pretty cool idea, but where are you getting the excess 5% from your calculation?

#7 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:02 PM

you going to give out 105% of the pot?

how?!

#8 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:10 PM

View PostBrody319, on 02 March 2015 - 12:02 PM, said:

how?!

Interest?

#9 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:19 PM

How?

Duh...

Fines.

Ima pull a Marshawn Lynch...

"Soy, what were you thinking about when you took out those 5 Centurions to save the round?"

"I like Skittles. This concludes my press conference."

$20 fine for not giving the full 30 minutes to NGNG

Edited by Soy, 02 March 2015 - 12:19 PM.

#10 FrDrake

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:22 PM

Events like this are what made LoL a small time MOBA into "pro teams get 30 million viewers for the world's finals". PGI wants to generate interest in their game, put up some cash tournaments.

#11 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:27 PM

View PostBrody319, on 02 March 2015 - 12:02 PM, said:

how?!

Have you never asked yourself why he's called homeless?

#12 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:30 PM

View PostSarlic, on 02 March 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

One critical note. With all respect it's a fun idea, but why would take anyone this game serious as a competitive base? I mean as the game have not enough problems regarding balance and more.

You say that, but we've had a decent competitive scene for years, and that's in spite of the fact that we used to have to sync drop to get matches. PGI's First Engagement tournament was a big success, and four or five leagues are still going strong. We want to build on that and draw people in with the promise of money.

Balance is in a better place than it's been in a long time (things are still off, but it's a hell of a lot better than the poptart era). Both teams given access to equal equipment, I don't see the problem. It comes down to skill and coordination.

That said, if you're someone that thinks all 'mechs should be equally viable in competitive, it's never going to happen. Meta up, grab some Storm Crows, and take home some dough.

View Postzagibu, on 02 March 2015 - 12:00 PM, said:

Pretty cool idea, but where are you getting the excess 5% from your calculation?

We're fixing this right now. Should be updated soon.

#13 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:40 PM

Cash tournaments will turn this game into an elitist cheese douche free for all for a few players and drive casual players like myself away. Once real money is involved in the game the cheaters and hacks will come out of the woodwork. Accounts created and sold on eBay for the soul purpose of winning money. You think "meta" is an issue now? Wait untill PGI or some other company starts offering money for tourney prizes.

I don't think PGI wants to do that to their only source of income.

#14 RedDevil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 702 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:51 PM

12 man teams?

#15 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:58 PM

Holy crap Homeless Bill is back.

WWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee.

#16 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:16 PM

View PostDjPush, on 02 March 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

Cash tournaments will turn this game into an elitist cheese douche free for all for a few players and drive casual players like myself away. Once real money is involved in the game the cheaters and hacks will come out of the woodwork. Accounts created and sold on eBay for the soul purpose of winning money. You think "meta" is an issue now? Wait untill PGI or some other company starts offering money for tourney prizes.

Cheating in the tournament could be mitigated by recording the players' feeds. I bet those matches would be popular enough that questionable behaviour would be noticed immediately.

#17 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:24 PM

Is this legal? I know i couldn't hold a poker tournament.

#18 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:27 PM

View PostBobzilla, on 02 March 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

Game of skill vs game of luck?

#19 Siegegun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 424 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:33 PM

I do not play competitively, however I fully support this as a concept and an idea. Just wanted to say thank you to Hiemdelight for taking the time to do this, and you Homeless Bill for front manning it. I will tune in. Things like this are nothing but good for the game, the community, and the players.

#20 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

View PostDjPush, on 02 March 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

This is painfully wrong. How does it affect people that don't participate in the tournament at all? Most of these matches are streamed, many will be shoutcasted / spectated, and cheating has never been an issue in the competitive community. We're not asking PGI to make weekend events into cash events, either. This is about the need for a serious competitive league.

I won't dignify this with a further response save to say this is incredibly selfish and uninformed. If you don't want to participate, then don't. Don't pretend this will have any effect on casuals, save for possibly getting them interested in one of the highlights of this game.

View PostKraftySOT, on 02 March 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

Holy crap Homeless Bill is back.

WWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I've always been around. I'm just on Outreach these days. I just can't handle the official forums anymore.

View PostBobzilla, on 02 March 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

Allegedly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users