Unreal Engine 4 Is Now Free

13 replies to this topic

#1 Shivaxi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:54 AM

https://www.unrealen...log/ue4-is-free

Holyshit, I am legit freaking the f**k out right now. This is HUGE. And with only 5% royalties towards Epic when you make a game? Not to mention THEY GIVE YOU THE DAMN SOURCE CODE!!

What I would give to see MWO re-made in Unreal Engine 4. Goddamn, I wouldn't even care how long it takes. It'd be soooo ******* worth it <3 Hell it probably wouldn't be that hard to port over the current models and animations either. I've seen a single person make a fully working game prototype complete with AI and menu screens in less than 2 days in the UE4. This engine is incredibly easy to use despite being probably the most powerful game engine out there right now, AND with some of the best performance I've ever seen as well. It runs so beautifully.

I know it's far fetched but hell if I can't dream =P

#2 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:22 PM

Most of the hype is based around high end game engines reducing the barrier to entry. For independents and non gaming activities, this is a huge trend that will spurn a LOT of innovation.

For example, architectural visualization. With an Oculus Rift. You hiring an architect to design your house? Now you can walk around in it in 3D and see how all your design elements work together.

#3 gl0w

• PipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:33 PM

Epic is so Epic. They are the gold standard in their field, imo. UE4 is awesome.

#4 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

Well Cryengine undercut their pricing with $9 a month and 0% royalties so a pricing war was on.
$0 subscription (was $20) pretty much wrecks Cryengines Steam business model now, going to have a hard time attracting hobbyist developers to learn their tools.

A huge shift in the market over the last few years.

#5 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:27 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 02 March 2015 - 12:03 PM, said:

Am I the only one who is not wild nutty crazed over the Unreal Engine 4?

Nope, I'm pretty sure that I'm still sane too. Us sane folk should get together sometime; I bet we could rule over all the crazies! :lol:

jk, jk!

#6 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:55 PM

Never heard of it before, but downloaded to try.

#7 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:29 PM

"It is a business model that is open to everybody, one in which we succeed, only when you succeed."

o7

Edited by Soy, 02 March 2015 - 04:30 PM.

#8 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:01 PM

It makes perfect business sense. On one hand Epic barely loses anything except for bandwidth occupied by upcoming downloads, on the other hand it opens up the possibility for those with talent but not money to make games, or simply to build up knowledge about the engine so they could make better games. It's a win-win for everyone.

And honestly 5% is really not that lot. I mean, I dunno about consoles but Valve takes 30% right off the price tag on Steam so.

#9 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:49 AM

5%gross revenue? hardly "free" lol. especially for big scaled games this is more than the old model.

View PostHelmstif, on 02 March 2015 - 05:01 PM, said:

It makes perfect business sense. On one hand Epic barely loses anything except for bandwidth occupied by upcoming downloads, on the other hand it opens up the possibility for those with talent but not money to make games, or simply to build up knowledge about the engine so they could make better games. It's a win-win for everyone.

And honestly 5% is really not that lot. I mean, I dunno about consoles but Valve takes 30% right off the price tag on Steam so.

not true, and partially true.

some games pay steam to be distributed and not by %.

further steam is a sales platform so steam also actively tries to increasse sales which is a win win for both. while just being in the UE 4 model is not trying to generate sales, income and profit.

And especially "indie devs" that are succesfull would with the old model have paid a lot less for the unreal engine than they now probably have to.

Edited by Lily from animove, 06 March 2015 - 07:53 AM.

#10 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:57 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 02 March 2015 - 05:01 PM, said:

imagine an indie game like terraria would utilize UE4. it sold over 3 million times in what. it was published in amy 2011, and maybe lets say 2 years of development.

Do the math on your own. Which "license" model would have been better for the terraria devs or epic

So yes it is HUGE, because the new model is exactly doing this, it hopes for the one out of 30 games being the big scorer. then it already is way more succesfull for epic than the old model. UE went expensive now and the whole world celebrates it being "free". What are they teaching in math nowdays?

Edited by Lily from animove, 06 March 2015 - 08:07 AM.

#11 vopdig

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationDunedin

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:23 PM

mechwarrior online would look amazing on UE4 having just played the unrealtournament pre alpha which looks absolutely stunning especially on the map outpost 23 and yet it runs so smoothly and the fps is so stable. It runs better than my MWO which is on medium to high settings but looks significantly better.. apples to oranges comparison i know but I agree with the original poster MWO on UE4 potentially could be mega

Edited by vopdig, 30 July 2015 - 06:37 PM.

#12 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:18 AM

UE4's blueprinting feature could have potential.

Not only for games but also software engineering, web development and other fields.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users