Packs Are Stupid

53 replies to this topic

#1 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:20 AM

Dear PGI, extension of early adopter reward period won't help you to sell more packs, cuz most players won't pay 2x price for mech, they want to get, due to being forced to buy light and medium mechs, they won't even use. I really like cauldron, but I won't even consider paying for it without early adopter reward and it's not available for a'la carte purchase. So I'll better wait till September and buy it for cb.

Edited by MrMadguy, 03 March 2015 - 02:23 AM.

#2 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:25 AM

PGI can't hear you over the sound of all the wave 3 packs making a cha-ching sound in their unit coffers.

#3 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,030 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:28 AM

Speak for yourself lol, a lot of people very much want the Arctic Cheetah and the Shadow Cat.

Also, the Early adopter variant of the CB isnt that important tbh, unless you are a missile boat

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 03 March 2015 - 02:29 AM.

#4 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:28 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 03 March 2015 - 02:20 AM, said:

Dear PGI, extension of early adopter reward period won't help you to sell more packs, cuz most players I won't pay 2x price for mech, they I want to get, due to being forced to buy light and medium mechs, they I won't even use. I really like cauldron, but I won't even consider paying for it without early adopter reward and it's not available for a'la carte purchase. So I'll better wait till September and buy it for cb.

Fixed that for you.

And your opinion is perfectly fine, just don't think everyone has the same opinion. Seems like these packs sell very well and this tiering system works exactly the way it is intended, to sell more mechs to people than they actually want. This is normal business, be happy with it or not.

#5 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:44 AM

View Post627, on 03 March 2015 - 02:28 AM, said:

Fixed that for you.

And your opinion is perfectly fine, just don't think everyone has the same opinion. Seems like these packs sell very well and this tiering system works exactly the way it is intended, to sell more mechs to people than they actually want. This is normal business, be happy with it or not.

How could they possibly sell more mechs than people actually want? Why would anyone want fewer mechs instead of more? :huh:

#6 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:50 AM

I felt the same way about Wave 1. That time they gave us very little information to make a sound decision. After I saw the TW and DW in action, I purchased them a la carte. No additional stuff, but I enjoyed piloting them.

Wave 2 again did not give us enough info to make a sound decision, and the only mech I found desirable was the Hellbringer. But, the information they did provide made it not worth a la carte pricing to me.

This time around, I have enough info to play in Smurfy with other chassis to get load out ideas. I like to play all four weight classes, so everything up to and including the CB appeal to me.

Early adopter awards just make it more worth the money if you find the mechs desirable in the first place. Some people have posted that they would purchase, but don't have the money saved before the end of the month. February being a short month have some being short on cash, and need to pay the bills. By extending it to after the bi-monthy paycheck date in March, they are accomidating those people.

#7 Ralgas

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:50 AM

you do realize a la carte is still pretty good value over typical mc pricing for said mech, especially for clan where you get the +c-bills variant that you can mix and match omnipods on to get your fav setup on

#8 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:53 AM

I meant that you buy for example locusts and shadowhawks to get the battlemaster. Or in this case arctic monkey and scat for the couldron born. "Most people" (see I can do this,too) want the bigger mechs but take the smaller ones instead of an a la carte mech.

It is the same with those mugs, I mean seriously who wants that same cup with a different sticker everytime?

#9 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:54 AM

a few weeks ago there was a thread asking what would make you spend $50 on this game. I replied that I wouldn't because I didn't need more mechs, I have plenty of mechs already. I wanted more game play and polish.

The day after wave 3 was announced I forked up $90....

#10 MrMadguy

• 2,193 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:00 AM

I mean, what % of players are playing light mechs? What % of players, mentioned above, will consider buying clan light mechs? 1%? 2%? What PGI is hoping for? That other 99% will pay extra money for mechs, they'll sell immediately? Lol. How can it be a good business?

#11 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:10 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 03 March 2015 - 03:00 AM, said:

That other 99% will pay extra money for mechs, they'll sell immediately? Lol. How can it be a good business?

why would PGI care what players do with mechs AFTER they buy them? and even if your 99% number is true, how would that be bad for business for PGI?

do you think walmart cares, or it impacts their business in any way, if you throw away the TV you just bought from them?

#12 Ralgas

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:10 AM

I mean, what % of players are playing light mechs? What % of players, mentioned above, will consider buying clan light mechs? 1%? 2%? What PGI is hoping for? That other 99% will pay extra money for mechs, they'll sell immediately? Lol. How can it be a good business?

the AC actually looks good compared to other clan options though (pending hitboxes), i mean heck it actually has free tonnage (for a clanner) and hardpoints that aren't tied to it's arms! .

If the IS favs are any indication quite a few in the public queue, and at the comp end it allow heavier mechs in a drop deck if it turns out to be a reasonable option. There's more than enough reason for a wide variety of players to take it up.

Edited by Ralgas, 03 March 2015 - 03:10 AM.

#13 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:12 AM

I only bought the ACH pack from wave 3.

#14 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:25 AM

I don't even pilot clan mechs often (currently own the free adder) and I'm considering purchasing the wave III pack. Why? Because I have expendable income, enjoy the game and missed out on the first two packs.

And if you look at many other people's mechs after you perish you'll see that a LOT, and I mean LOT of people spend money on cockpit items, so money on 16/12 mechs on early release + a bunch of bonus stuff? Not really a bad deal in comparison.

#15 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:00 AM

This light is likely to be in the top 3 lights. Thus is a light you want.

Med is both iconic, and not terribad. Not great, but Jesus Box and still likely the second best Clam Med at mud to long range. Also, 7 MGs.

Those are the only two I'm paying for, so your argument seems flawed.

#16 Mordin Ashe

• 1,505 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:11 AM

Packs are great! Two reasons.

First, lore reason. Many people here have their favorites and want to see them in game. Delivering them in packs increases hype and additional sparkling on top (premium time, cockpit items, faction content etc) only help to make you interested in buying them.

Second, business. Every game has to find a way of delivering content to paying customers that suits them most. MWO is specific because its long tradition of MW/tabletop games, it is only to be expected that some variations to other commonly seen methods of releasing machinery might occur. And above all? Packs work. We as a community accepted them by the success of the Phoenix pack, and packs have been a blast ever since. We vote with our wallets and the game looks accordingly. Nothing wrong about it :)

Edited by Mordin Ashe, 03 March 2015 - 05:12 AM.

#17 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:40 AM

The only mech in the pack that has me going "meh" is the Executioner (and maybe the EJR)

I think I might even be able to figure out something with the executioner (laser vomit in the 3 Torso mounts)

I just wish PGI would figure out Assault Jumpjets...

#18 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:35 AM

I really want a Clan light mech that will be as effective as the Artic Cheetah, that should bump light numbers up. I wont consider playing the slow clan lights, and the Mist Lynx (although I love it) loses arms and has no torso weapons. The Artic Cheetah is going to be the best clan light, because of speed and hardpoints.

#19 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:43 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 03 March 2015 - 02:20 AM, said:

Dear PGI, extension of early adopter reward period won't help you to sell more packs, cuz most players won't pay 2x price for mech, they want to get, due to being forced to buy light and medium mechs, they won't even use. I really like cauldron, but I won't even consider paying for it without early adopter reward and it's not available for a'la carte purchase. So I'll better wait till September and buy it for cb.

You aren't most people, you're feelings don't necessarily represent most people...no matter how much sense it makes to you in your world. Next time, it'll be in your best interest to speak for yourself, dont include the rest(or the rest of most of us) in your argument...it makes you seem out of touch with reality and self-absorbed.

That being said, im not buying it because it's not InnerSphere, and even more so, because it's not Combine...but that's ok, just because it's not my cup tea doesn't mean it's not a worthwhile pack.

#20 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:47 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 03 March 2015 - 07:35 AM, said:

I really want a Clan light mech that will be as effective as the Artic Cheetah, that should bump light numbers up. I wont consider playing the slow clan lights, and the Mist Lynx (although I love it) loses arms and has no torso weapons. The Artic Cheetah is going to be the best clan light, because of speed and hardpoints.

It likely will be the best, since even looking into the year 3080, there are only two Clam 35 ton Omnis, the Puma and the Cougar. Cougar would allow Summoner level firepower, with more hardpoints, while also moving at 89.

Not great, but not terrible.

Cheetah will be the standard to beat, but it's unlikely one ever will.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users