How To Build Is Mechs For Cw

20 replies to this topic

#1 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:36 AM

Alright, because I have seen a rash of XL toting mechs over the weekend, I thought I would provide some insight into this.

XL engines are ok to use in IS mechs under 2 conditions:

1.) You are gaining a tremendous amount of speed to offset your fragility.

2.) Your mech is setup to engage beyond 600m+ and you stay there. XL mechs make poor brawlers typically (lights are the exception)

Something like this is a decent brawler at 81 kph after speed tweak, and carries some range:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5c643dd721023af

Now, if we were going to run an XL engine in this mech, we need to consider 2 things:

1.) What is the preferred engagement range? Brawl/mid range

2.) Will running an XL engine gain enough speed to matter?

Let us consider it for a moment...

If we swap our STD 250 engine for an XL and keep our original loadout we end up with that loadout and an XL325. Which gives us a speed of 105.3 after speed tweak. That is sufficient to be fast enough as a brawler, so this case is one that makes sense.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...99d70349487bb4e

Now, the other scenario, where running an XL because you will be essentially a long range support mech.

In this scenario, we have a SHD2K with a STD280 and 3xERLL, which is a good LR support mech:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ac18e770d74f294

Now, we already have a speed of 90.7 kph after speed tweak on this mech, with excellent cooling efficiency. The question is, what does running an XL engine get us in return for less durability?

Now, in this scenario, we can go all the way to an XL350 and pickup and extra heatsink, or go to an XL355. The XL350 gets us to 113 kph after speed tweak.

The question is...would that be worth it for this mech?

Honestly, no, it would not. Here is why:

90 kph is honestly fast enough to do everything this mech needs to do on the battlefield, and you still run cool with this loadout. 113 kph would be nice if we were light hunting, or something similar to it, that required loads of speed; however, in this case, it is completely unnecessary. So, keep your tanky mech and use that right side of your mech as a shield to survive longer.

Point being, if you think running an XL solely to get more firepower is a good idea...no, it is not. You need to have a meaningful trade off in speed. XL engines are not about more boom, or more dakka, or more pew pew...they are about mobility. If you build your mech well, your speed will help you offset the fragility of the XL engine.

Also, the Stalker should never be run with an XL engine, the mech is entirely side torsos.

#2 M4NTiC0R3X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:13 AM

promptly fits an XL 225 and 1 DHS into all builds. :rolleyes:

no but seriously nice write up.

Edited by M4NTiC0R3X, 03 March 2015 - 07:13 AM.

#3 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:38 AM

View PostM4NTiC0R3X, on 03 March 2015 - 07:13 AM, said:

promptly fits an XL 225 and 1 DHS into all builds. :rolleyes:

no but seriously nice write up.

In a stalker right??

LOL!

#4 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:38 AM

I tend to run an XL in everything under 70 tons. Just me, might not work for every one.

Standards work best in mechs that have all of their hardpoints on one side. They can use both the arm and side torso to soak up damage on the weapon free side, while protecting the weapon side.

Edit: Under 70 tons, TDR excluded. Forgot it was 65 tons.

Edited by Jody Von Jedi, 03 March 2015 - 08:44 AM.

#5 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:09 AM

My 6 kill in one (CW) drop XL 275 Hunchback 4P says hello.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:15 AM

View PostPhobic Wraith, on 03 March 2015 - 09:09 AM, said:

My 6 kill in one (CW) drop XL 275 Hunchback 4P says hello.

Took you a CW drop to get that? I've had similar in regular matches. This one with 7 kills, 711 damage is a good example though it's an XL 275 4G.

View PostGyrok, on 03 March 2015 - 06:36 AM, said:

Please tack this thread under here for collection from a designated Community Manager or delegated moderator to collect in the near future. Form can be found under the second spoiler.

If you've got other useful tutorial/guide threads, please also list them there at your earliest possible convenience. I'm looking forward to having the pinned list of community made tutorials/guides for new players brought back.

Edited by Koniving, 03 March 2015 - 09:16 AM.

#7 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:30 AM

View PostKoniving, on 03 March 2015 - 09:15 AM, said:

Took you a CW drop to get that? I've had similar in regular matches. This one

Well, I average about 6 kills with my "Murderback" every CW drop. Usually I'll get a few more kills with my Victor and Firestarter. Regular matches my record is 7 kills. With an average of about 4 per.

#8 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

Well, if we're showing off with XL medium mechs, below is my submission. 4P Partyback, 5 kills, 1194 damage ;)

Posted Image

Edited by Jody Von Jedi, 03 March 2015 - 09:56 AM.

#9 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:51 PM

View PostKoniving, on 03 March 2015 - 09:15 AM, said:

Took you a CW drop to get that? I've had similar in regular matches. This one with 7 kills, 711 damage is a good example though it's an XL 275 4G.

Please tack this thread under here for collection from a designated Community Manager or delegated moderator to collect in the near future. Form can be found under the second spoiler.

If you've got other useful tutorial/guide threads, please also list them there at your earliest possible convenience. I'm looking forward to having the pinned list of community made tutorials/guides for new players brought back.

Done, link posted.

#10 Leeroy Mechkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 581 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:57 AM

Yeah XL is quite a handicap, but really for many IS mechs, there is no choice to keep up with clan mechs mobility and firepower.

Instant duration and low-duration weapons are a good way to go for IS mechs. Pop out, fire, hide before clan lasers finish their full duration on you.

#11 Kahadras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:38 PM

1.) You are gaining a tremendous amount of speed to offset your fragility.

To be fair it grants weight reduction at the expence of added fragility. You can choose what you spend the extra tons on. It could add extra weapon systems. More heat dissipation. More ammunition for missile weapons. Greater armour protection. Most mechs I build use the saved weight in multiple areas.

#12 0rionsbane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

i would say its fine to add firepower for the xl. One thing to consider is heat (how much heat your weapons are producing over the dissipation), an xl engine can not only save weight but add a extra heat sink or two or provide 6 more slots and more weight compared to endo. and lets be honest if half your mech is gone on several mechs you might just be better off dead, many mechs have large ct's and work well with xl regardless of speed advantages. some mechs cant really brawl well, but with a xl can actually stand their ground better. i wouldent recommend xl atlas to anyone though so it really depends on the mech but a xl crab can be devastating.

#13 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:11 PM

I love using my STD Stalker to kill XL Stalkers.

Oddly satisfying, more so than an XL Atlas i have to say.

Not so much for CW, but, 400XL Wubshee benefits from the speed and twist rate.

Few expect 95 tons moving that fast and hillhumping works well with it.

#14 Leeroy Mechkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:05 PM

TDR-5SS with 4 ERLL rocks. It helps clear out long range campers. Perfect mech to start the dropdeck with.

#15 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:03 AM

meanwhile clans are considered to get nerfs again because IS pilots can't properly build their mechs.

Edited by Lily from animove, 17 March 2015 - 06:03 AM.

#16 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:54 AM

The correct answer is "Thunderbolt" or "Firestarter" they're not getting nerfed anytime soon, might as well cheat while you can.

#17 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:17 PM

View PostLeeroy Mechkins, on 16 March 2015 - 09:05 PM, said:

TDR-5SS with 4 ERLL rocks. It helps clear out long range campers. Perfect mech to start the dropdeck with.

It can handle 5 ERLL pretty well. 195 tons (65x3) + something else and you can bring 3 TDR-5SS to CW.

#18 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:03 PM

Simple reason to not go for XL in IS mechs on CW is that mechs will go for your L/R torso. Attackers don't need to leg you, your not in a hurry to run anywhere - so stomp in with the deathball, take out your firepower and roll you.

Disclaimer: Not speaking from personal experience. :P :ph34r:

#19 Stoneblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 574 posts
  • LocationCCAF Feng Yun

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:59 AM

This:

View PostGyrok, on 03 March 2015 - 06:36 AM, said:

Point being, if you think running an XL solely to get more firepower is a good idea...no, it is not. You need to have a meaningful trade off in speed. XL engines are not about more boom, or more dakka, or more pew pew...they are about mobility. If you build your mech well, your speed will help you offset the fragility of the XL engine.

This is the most important part of the Original Post.

#20 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

I giggle every-time I see an XL Stalker/King Crab/Atlas in CW, it's like getting a free kill, and a wasted assault slot on the OPFOR's side...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users