Friendly Fire

13 replies to this topic

#1 DaangeroussDann

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:19 PM

Should be called "unfriendly fire" because from the spectating view, it is obvious a lot of players just dont care if they hit their teamates in the back. I know its annoying when someone steps in front of me, but I try to pull my shot if and when it happens, a LOT of pilots just dont care and will continue drilling holes in their allies back, call it road rage.
So , my suggestion is that a new system be implamented.
Give everyone an some leway , "accidental" friendly damage alotment, say 30 pts damage, thats plenty of time to pull your fire, but; anything beyond that should be considered neglectful sabotage to fellow combatant. And a repair charge should be docked from the offending pilots match reward.
I suggest about 1,000 c bills per point of damage past 25 or 30 should be taken off their pay for the match. This way, we will begin to see pilots pulling their shots instead of burning their allies back out in neglect and frustration.

Think about it, and the effect it will have on the game. Suddenly people will not try to share the same sniping position unless they are rich. Jumping in front of someone WILL be safer, if the pilot pilot that was there origionally needs c bills, but ; perhaps that is better than my back being shot out every single match.

There should also be harsh penalty's for player killers and abusers, who surpass a certain amount of damage in a match, perhaps an actual deduction from their c ill account and no match pay.

Edited by DaangeroussDann, 05 March 2015 - 03:24 PM.

#2 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:44 PM

Full damage should be applied to all fire, regardless of who it hits. Pilots that walk in front of other mechs just need to suck it up and learn to be more aware of what they're doing. I do believe however that some tolerance needs to be allowed for with team kills before a penalty is applied to the TK'er to allow for the dumbasses that do walk in front of you.

As a dedicated Assult pilot, it never ceases to frustrate me how many ******* walk infront of me while I'm firing and then complain when it hurts. Get a clue people, Assults can pack a punch, don't {LT-MOB-25} block them. It is often to late to pull your fire if you're zoomed in as your hitting them before you see them.

#3 Lunatic_Asylum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 600 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:50 PM

I agree with Random Carnage.

#4 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:35 PM

its one thing to walk in front of someone by accident which is why I pull my Laser to the other side or to the sky if I can as I don't like dealing damage to a friendly units.

and then there is people who for some stupid reason fire their lasers at the very start of the fight when there are no enemies around and I take damage to the leg(light mechs every point counts).

#5 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:55 PM

"a LOT of pilots just dont care and will continue drilling holes in their allies back, call it road rage"

That's not what's happening. They DO care.

Deliberately drilling holes in your back teaches you to not crowd firing lanes. Fire burns.

When I catch friendly fire its MY fault and means I am doing something wrong.

#6 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:39 AM

As far as I can tell there is only one way to deal with/teach kill stealing players that love to jump your line of fire and that's an alpha to the rear torso.

And people should not be penalized for their teammates stupidity, the stupid people should be penalized so they learn better strategy. So unless you want to implement a feature that drops the c-bill gain for people that jump firing lanes in half...

#7 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:16 AM

SOMETIMES it is the player face hugging and/or walking in front of their teammates' shots fault, but SOMETIMES it is the player firing through his teammates trying to get the kill (or teaching them a lesson in sycocys' case) who is at fault. BTW, there is no such thing as kill stealing in a team game, and your K/DR is a meaningless stat.

Since PGI can track it, FF damage given should be recorded in your stats. TKs should subtract from your kills on the scoreboard, and FF damage should be subtracted from your damage on the scoreboard. It would be a penalty, but nothing major, and would hopefully teach inexperienced players that their weapons hurt friendlies as well.

Keeping the stats on your personal page can show you if your obviously doing it too much (or you can always blame the MM for consistently grouping you with noobs I guess)

#8 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:42 AM

No there is absolutely kill stealing because the events and reward system value the kill more than the teamwork. I wouldn't claim to not be one of those guys that will get a little nutty when I see an opportunity for a kill, but I also know that there's an alpha shot ready to be delivered to my back so I choose a lane that's not occupied unless I'm totally willing to risk death in the process.

Penalizing people for trying to sustain their own attack lanes while the events and game promote people stealing your attack lanes to seal your kills is no good.

#9 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:03 AM

How are you penalized? Like I said, K/DR means absolutely nothing.

#10 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:35 AM

There is one point where someone may have a fire lane while both they and their target are standing relatively still, it is something else when both teammate and enemy target are firing and moving, zoomed all the way in, ignoring everything going on around them, then laying open the back of a team mate.

Again, many times the friendly fire happens cause people are zoomed in with blinders on, moving AND firing without any real situation awareness. And if target moves, it does not mean one should continue firing up on the target then into the backside of a team mate. Get the frak out of zoom fraking dummy. :D

#11 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:01 AM

If you implement c-bill reduction for hitting your own team - especially the dumb ones that jump your lane or stand face to face with the mech that is being hailed upon by lrms - you are being penalized for other players stupidity.

As there's no way to discern when a FF is the result of which players poor decision making penalizing someone for it is simply the wrong thing to do.

#12 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:02 PM

Try being a narc/tag ecm Raven and see how much reward you get for being a team player and lighting up the enemy for your boats. There is little incentive in MWO for such a team oriented build. If you want to benefit, it's all about grabbing the damage where you can take it. Sad but true.

#13 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:05 PM

You'd think that in a thousand (or so) years from now, that they'd have proximity sensors that could automatically detect friendly units and interrupt the fire sequence if a friendly was in imminent danger of being hit. You would have the choice to manually over ride this, but also the default safety built in.

#14 Araevin Teshurr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 368 posts
  • LocationIn your base, eating your food!

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:22 PM

I like the idea actually; slowly PGI will have to re-introduce repair / replacement costs into the game. It shouldn't be as bad as when they orginally had it. They can increase the mission payouts, and have a lower cost for repair / replacement for the team that won. The team that lost gets no salvage, so their cost will be higher.
Such costs could be limited to Community Warfare, and reduced in PUG matches.
But the cost should be re-introduced.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users