20-25Hz Rolloff On All Of Your Audio

3 replies to this topic

#1 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:29 PM

additionally it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a high fillter roll-off around 18khz. Not knowing exactly what your engine is capable of, but I'd suggest at least a 3 or 4 pole brick wall filtering on the 20-20hz range.

Should be applied either to each audio file or at the end of the the game engine's audio processing before being send to soundcards - there is quite a lot of mechanical (as in the speakers are trying to mechanically produce a range they can not) crackle, most coming from the low end. Preferably you'd do both so that the audio engine doesn't need to work so hard limiting out frequencies when there's a lot going on live.

Some is also caused by phasing issues because you are triggering the same sound for things such as walking and weapons many times over each other. One possible, but not perfect solution to that would be to implement a 1-23 milisecond delay on sounds generated from each mech in the match. The other would be much more intestive, but would involve creating 24 sets of each triggered sound that were of slightly different speeds and frequencies that each player would trigger - this would all but eliminate the phasing issues.

Even low end systems shouldn't be getting the crackling, but mid-high range systems should very definitely not, this is an issue I tried to get resolved in beta but was apparently never looked into.

--
My sound system -
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 external audio processor
6' Monster shielded xlr cables
Pair of Krk rp8 g3s.

I routinely run the gammit of different dance oriented music through these speakers at much, much higher volumes than the low setting I play the game on. Even with some of the most poorly processed/over compressed American brostep/dubstep there's never any crackling issues that extend beyond poor source file and over limiting. I also work and play a lot of complex psy trance which many times has upwards of 100 different sounds working simultaneously never with any issue so I can be pretty confident in my assessment that this noise is driven from withing the games sound engine.

If you want the sound files reprocessed I would be happy to do that for you, but I'd greatly appreciate it if someone would at the least go into the games audio engine and enable the filters to at least mitigate some of this issue.

#2 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:35 PM

Finally another person! Welcome to the club. Running a smaller Scarlett 2i2 with my Yamaha HS8 monitors and the audio in this game sometimes drives me fkn nuts.

#3 DaangeroussDann

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:08 PM

I have put it over my home sterio speakers, through 300 watts, and frankly, it sounds awesome, like a war zone. Honestly, I dont know what your talking about, but then my system is designed to hit down to 40 HZ and as high as the human ear can hear.
Honestly, I hope PGI doesn't even consider taking time for this when the game has some serious errors that really effect game play that need to be delbt with first. I dont play a war game for sound quality.

#4 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:24 AM

It's not that it doesn't sound awesome, especially if you introduce post processing into the mix as your home theater likely does because at the basic routine level it does sound really good.

But there still is mechanical issues with their sound that are very blatantly apparent if you are using rigs designed to produce flat unencumbered spectrums. The phasing issue is more-so a preference problem that causes immersion reduction and a lot of the audible "glitches" you will hear throughout the game.

The other one - forcing useless freq's (that the human ear can't hear anyhow) through speakers that are not mechanically designed to output them and then coupling those frequencies over and over again forcing speakers to attempt to produce large gains of a sound its mechanically incapable of producing - damages the drivers and reduces the lifespan of people's speakers significantly.

And when I mention speakers not mechanically designed to output these ranges, that is 99.9999% of the driver market, and 100% of the consumer market. You have to go a long distance out of your way to get drivers designed for these two ranges.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users