Mad Dog Or Hellbringer?

34 replies to this topic

#1 Jabilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:30 AM

Been checking out out these two mechs and they both look hilariously fun with some crazy load outs possible.

Not sure which to go for... From what I can see the Mad Dog has Ferro Fibrous, which gives it extra tonnage but the Hellbringer has ECM.

Anyone got both of these mechs, and which one do you think is the most fun / effective?

#2 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:39 AM

Hellbringer, no doubts whatso ever.

Maddog might have been a pretty good mech if the Hitboxes were layed out properly, but as is, the mech generally runs far too hot and its torso's were given far too much surface area, so when you get into any kind of fight, your torsos will just vanish no matter how you shield and turn.

Hellbringer, ECM, high hardpoints, plenty of tonnage for some brutal loadouts, fairly good hitboxes, its all around the better mech.

If you want a lesson in frustration, grab the Maddog, but if you want to kickass and have a great mech to support your team with go for the Hellbringer.

Edited by Mister D, 07 March 2015 - 01:40 AM.

#3 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:41 AM

Hellbringer. Mad Dog isn't even in the same ballpark.

#4 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:46 AM

Hellbringer is obviously the best mech, but Mad Dog offers more alternative builds.

I think they're equally fun. Hellbringer will get you more kills and damage, but Mad Cat lets you experiment with loads of different builds and playstyles.

They're both some of my favourite Clan mechs, so I can't really recommend one over the other.

#5 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:00 AM

you are trolling by asking this right???

#6 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:05 AM

Mad Dog: has no advantage over TBR except tonnage and 6xSSRM
Hellbringer: ECM but 2/3 of your weapons die with the always-focussed-first left torso (ridiculous design flaw)

Edited by Paigan, 07 March 2015 - 02:05 AM.

#7 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:08 AM

I have both; HBR is better and more fun. The MDD is a one-trick pony, pretty much every worthwhile loadout revolves around using the 3 missile side torso hardpoints, and then using LRMs or SRMs as you prefer. Clan LRMs aren't that good and you don't really need use a heavy slot to bring them, and the MDD is a bit fragile to run 6xSRM6. To be fair, when it works it's a ton of fun.

The HBR has tons of hardpoints and can run pretty much any loadout you want, and gets ECM to boot. The hitboxes aren't great, but they're not exactly awful either.

#8 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:12 AM

Hellbringer is a versatile energy/ballistic mech, can't really do SRMs or LRMs well. Has ECM.

Mad Dog is an LRM/SRM boat.

Pick based on what you want from the mech.

#9 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:22 AM

Depends on what you like. Mad dog for missiles and hellbringer if you want to have anything else.

#10 Jabilo

• Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:36 AM

Thanks guys, that helps a lot.

#11 Senor Cataclysmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:54 AM

The Hellbringer is objectively the better mech from a competitive standpoint.

Don't let that put you off the Mad Dog though, I have great fun in my MDDs.

#12 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:59 AM

Actually, the question is or soon it is going to be:

Vulture OR Loki OR Cauldron-Born

;)

I am afraid that the Vulture is the weakest of these three OmniMechs.

#13 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 March 2015 - 03:55 AM

Hellbringer for efficiency, Mad Dog for fun.

#14 Reitrix

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:18 AM

View PostMister D, on 07 March 2015 - 01:39 AM, said:

If you want a lesson in frustration, grab the Maddog, but if you want to kickass and have a great mech to support your team with go for the Hellbringer.

I have my MDD-A built with LRMs and the MDD-B with SRMs.
I rarely overheat and can punch people in the gut for 84 damage at close range.
Or i can circle you firing a never ending stream of SRM rounds.

They have a 2.75 and 2.54 KDR, respectively. Played only ever in solo pugs.

So i think it has more to do with picking your fights right. And making sure your target isn't capable of surgically removing limbs in single shots.

#15 Linkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 284 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:40 AM

MDD cuz chicken walkers? :D

#16 Jeffrey Wilder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:47 AM

View PostPaigan, on 07 March 2015 - 02:05 AM, said:

Mad Dog: has no advantage over TBR except tonnage and 6xSSRM
Hellbringer: ECM but 2/3 of your weapons die with the always-focussed-first left torso (ridiculous design flaw)

Yeah, the Hellbringer is game over usually when the left torso is gone....usually very fast in a high ELO game.

#17 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:54 AM

MDD: 60 tonner with the firepower of a 100 tonner. It's not an endurance brawler, but a ridiculous hitman. Needs impeccable positioning and timing to be effective. It's also a face-tanker instead of a torso twister. Will easily melt under concentrated fire.

HBR: All-round hill-humper and second line damage pumper. You'll do better right out of the bat with this, but there is only a handful of viable builds and they're pretty similar in gameplay (4xML+Gauss, 6xML, 5xML+LPL, 2xUAC5+4xML). It's considerably more survivable than the MDD and is more useful for the team with the ECM.

Honestly, as someone who likes brawling, the HBR gameplay is a bit boring for me. The MDD offers more choice, but it's also more challenging to do well with.

#18 PR1VATEER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:48 AM

Well, I have all the Mad Dogs chassis and love them! They are very fun and pack a punch! I have not tried the Hellbringer yet, but have a feeling with ECM, would make you quite the threat!

#19 Tenka

• PipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:52 AM

If you havent been playing very long, I recommend Mad Dog .. pump it with as many LRM's as you can fit and let em fly.

If you are more experienced, I highly recommend the Hellbringer .. it doesnt LRM as well as the Mad Dog but its a LOT more versitile and has good capability for sniper and brawling.

#20 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:56 AM

I don't have either, but my experience of fighting against them is that generally you can shred a Maddog if you have reasonably good aim, as it's hard for them to shield their torsos. If they catch you in close though with an SRM loadout, they'll blow you to pieces pretty quick.

Hellbringers are tankier, but for the most part really seem to shine at mid-range supporting the pack more than anything else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users