ERPPC PPC Large Pulse Laser

17 replies to this topic

#1 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:28 PM

I've been wondering, for clans, what's better?

Clan ER PCC VS Clan Large Pulse Laser:

(Note that both take up two critical slots and 6 tons)

ERPPC:

Pros: Higher Damage (15 VS 13), Higher Range (810M vs 600M), Instant (Doesn't do damage over time), Disrupts ECM
Cons: Higher Heat (15 VS 10), Slower (Velocity of 1050 MPS VS lightspeed), Does Splash Damage

Large Pulse:

Pros: Lower Heat (10 VS 15), Faster (Lightspeed vs Velocity of 1050 MPS), Does Pinpoint Damage
Cons: (Lower Damage (13 VS 15), Lower Range (600M vs 810M), Does DPS (Damage over time), Does Not Disrupt ECM

For reference, this is in a Direwolf - B with Dual Guass. I can either add dual PPC's, or dual LPL's.

I've used both, and like the "punchy" feel of the PPC's, but with such a slow mech, and with no arm actuators, I don't always make my mark with them. Without the PPC's, I can remove some heatsinks and add BAP (which counters 1 ECM for me), upgrade my Targeting Computer MK1 to a MK2 and add some more guass ammo.

Thoughts, anyone?

#2 DarkExar

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:46 PM

I'd go with ER LL instead of both, cover range combat fine and saves weight to take streaks for close encounters.

#3 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:54 PM

All depends.

PPC's have better rate of fire / dps, much better range and do more damage if you count the "splash" damage they do against a mech. And can do snap shots much better. But can run very hot as a result.

LPL's are a bit more heat efficient, but spread damage and require much more face time. They pair well with other weapon combos which makes their overall alphas pretty devistating if paired with the right weapons, and are usually a better "chain fire" solution, as a single ER PPC alone can really put a burden on your system in a sustained fight. But their lower DPS IS noticeable.

For Dires with Gauss, the PPC is usually better. It pairs well with the gauss shots as far as direct damage, It has better DPS that supports the gauss when you are inbetween long recharge times on the gauss, and for the most part, the heat inefficiency of the PPC is offset by the efficiency of the gauss rifles. Where LPL's will give you less devistating pinpoint damage, but will allow you to typically run a bit cooler in a sustained fire fight.

So all depends on what you are trying to do. There are perks and drawbacks to each weapon.

#4 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:29 PM

cLPL are much better weapons. They're easily the best weapon in the game right now.

That said they are not strictly superior to ER PPCs due to differing mechanics. If you're going for pinpoint burst sniping (generally limited to PPC + Gauss on clan side due to inaccurate ACs) the PPC is much better. It's arguably also better for fast moving long range mechs where trying to keep the full laser duration on target is a hindrance.

Since ER LL were mentioned above: these are also not useless. Thanks to their range and weight advantage on LPL they are at least useful in some long range sustained damage builds (4x ER LL heavy mechs).

#5 Impossible Wasabi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • 462 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:32 PM

Clan Large Pulse or ER LL without a doubt, much better hitreg than any of the PPC based weapons.

Edited by The True Space Pope, 07 March 2015 - 04:32 PM.

#6 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:33 PM

View PostNight Thastus, on 07 March 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

Thoughts, anyone?

If you really want to use one of the two, I tend to think of it this way

CLPL for better heat management
CERPPC for the ability to fire and twist (like a Centurion)

The PPC twisting is not much of an advantage on most clan mechs though

#7 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:39 PM

What everyone else has said, PPCs are better on a Gauss DWF but LPLs are one of the best weapons in the game. Main reason is their high damage but low laser duration coupled with relatively low heat. One of my favorite mechs is a 3 LPL 1 ERML Mad Dog, I've regularly done 600-900 damage in it. Could not have done that much damage with 3 PPC 1 ERML, let me tell ya!

#8 Enigmos

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:27 AM

On a gauss DWF I most enjoy six MPL, three to a side, then put the leftmost three on the same trigger button as the two gauss and the right three MPL with two gauss on the second button, then the two gauss again so they can be triggered alone.

You have your ranged fire fairly well covered with the gauss. If you up your gauss cooldown module to 5, then when your MPL stop wubbing release the trigger for your shot. In combat it is often hard to hear the capacitors spinning up for that gauss projectile, but if you time it to your MPL pulses you have a visual cue far more evident than the reticule tell tale.

Plus, you can load up more gauss ammo tonnage and better manage your heat.

Edited by OriginalTibs, 09 March 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#9 Archie4Strings

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 659 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:42 AM

LPL are better.

I am playing a Warhawk PPC boat in the last weeks frequently (just for the fun). But the results are just "ok", not more.
Damage is usually max just around 400. In most of the maps you will not be able to take advantage of the longer range of the ER PPCs, and they are much to hot. Even in longer matches, when i dont die and i got plenty of time to shoot, its not much more damage. I think i never did more than 500-600 damage.

But it is still fun to play! It works! I am just pretty sure, that LPL are much more effective!

I was playing it only for the fun (because the Warhawk PPC-Boat in the Tabletop game back in my younger days was awesome!)

#10 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:23 AM

until clans are un-shafted and/or quirks for ER PPC's on...

Adder Prime
Nova A
Ice ferret prime
Summoner Prime
Couldron Born B
Timberwolf D
Warhawk Prime, C
Direwolf B

That is all.

#11 charov

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:30 AM

Both are fine weapons. If you play hit and run our peekaboo, erppc are a good solution, even if very hot. Otherwise go for the lpl.

#12 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:27 AM

C-LPL has a fairly long duration, but it becomes godly when you mount two on heavier Clan 'Mechs with lots of heatsinks. It's a great all-rounder that can be used as a brawling weapon or a mid-long range trader. It's not so great on smaller 'Mechs which suffer from the increased face-time. Though on a SCR/TBR/HBR/WHK with enough heatsinks and armor to face-tank, it's great. So much damage farm potential.

C-ERPPC is great if peeking is more of your style. It's a better killer than the C-LPL because of its instant damage delivery, but the damage output is limited due to its crippling heat. Therefore this weapon is strictly restricted to mid-long range sniping and support because you need some time to cool off between alphas. An C-ERPPC 'Mech is very susceptible to light harassment or straight out brawlers due to this. You can't afford to miss under stress.

Edited by Tahribator, 11 March 2015 - 08:28 AM.

#13 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:39 AM

Having run the living daylights out of cERPPC's on my Timber Wolves, Adders and Warhawks, I would say run the LPL, the damage on the LPL is 13 for 10 heat, that is a very good exchange rate for clan weapons. Yes it has a long burn time, but it doesn't have hit-reg issues like the cERPPC does.

#14 Silra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCold North

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:51 PM

As has been said before here... if you want one for pure efficiency's sake, then the Clan Large Pulse Laser every time. It will serve you more consistently than the PPC will.

That said I still use both weapon types, but I build my mechs with some purpose in mind instead of just smacking on the 'best' weapon and calling it a day.

#15 LuxAstrum

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 01:27 PM

MADE MY MYST LYNX 218031298378912X BETTER THANK YOUUUUUUUUU CLAN LPL ROCK

#16 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:16 PM

Each depending on use is great.

ERPPC:
As a single shot weapon lends itself more to peek a boo jump out fire disappear before they know your there.
Also assuming you can connect I find to be more useful against fast lights. Direct 1 shot no duration you hit or not damage lasers tend to spread all over not doing a whole lot on a fast mover. 4 second cooldown not as bad as it seems Laser with coold down don't start cooldown until there duration of fire is over so ERLL 1.5 Duration + 3.25 CD = 4.75 sec until can fire again. LPL 1.12 Duration + 3.25 CD = 4.37 sec until can fire again.
Add bonus his mech with ECM disables it for 4 seconds comes in handy especially sniping.

LPL:
As laser has fire duration meaning damage is spread out of that entire duration. Good Bad, Bad means hard to do full damage to 1 specific spot on mech tends to spread out. But this is also good in that you can correct your fire hard to completely and totally miss and do nothing. point and shoot
Does almost the same damage as ERPPC but at 2/3 the heat of erppc

In the end I usually let mechs quirks guide my choice. But LPL with lower heat I find in my case tends to be better choice. But really it depends on your play style and mech alot.

#17 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:41 PM

tried them both extensively - answer is ERPPC is great if you have extreme self control (which i don't have lol), otherwise you WILL overheat a lot no matter how many DHS you mount

but LPL is waaaay more practical and is the best clan weapon along with the c-Gauss

#18 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:28 PM

Personally, I would say ERPPCs are better for sniping, and snipers need mobility. While it's quite true that the current clan lights lack mobility compared to the IS lights, clan lights and to an extent the Ice Ferret are still going to be better platforms for ERPPCs than, say, a Timber or Stormcrow.

I've seen Adders do some horrendous damage with ERPPCs in the right hands. I even saw a 3 ERPPC Adder on my team once with no armor - I told him it sounded like a great way to overheat and then die - and then he racked up five kills, so goes to show that clan lights can actually be effective in the right hands.

Conversely, a Timber D with 2 ERPPCs is a waste of the chassis IMO. It would be far more effective wih LPLs and some ERML using some other omnipods. Assaults are a bit more viable for ERPPCs. So I would say for mediums and heavies, go LPL; lights and assaults can benefit from ERPPCs where mediums and heavies cannot. Now, whether those assaults would be better off with an LPL is probably going to be a matter of playstyle. But clan lights for sure should use the PPCs to avoid having to show their faces for any longer than the instant it takes to shoot off those projected particles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users