Where Do We Sit With The Madcat Prime Atm?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Horkerkiin

• Pip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

Hi guys been out of MWO for a while (since just after the Madcat was released) just getting back in, Was wandering where things sat with it ATM? it was my favorite mech to use at the time, I just ran stock TBH pureley because I find the mechlab and everything else since it all changed such a ******* eyesore and pain to navigate through.

How are things withe the prime variant currently? has it been nerfed through the floor? still an ok mech to run? what are people building on it nowadays?

Thanks!

#2 Arc Viper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:23 PM

The prime variant is still pretty much a top-tier mech. The TMB-C is still better because of the extra laser hardpoint. Right now the TBR-Prime is the c-bill farming mech of choice.

Most people run laser vomit on it, but since you cant fully utilize energy hardpoints on the prime I suggest 2Lplasers and a gauss.

#3 Arkroma

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:43 PM

You can ignore the B point on CT and do a laser puke build with 2LPL and 4MLs. While TBR-C has an extra E on CT, it's not friendly for heat management anyway so one less ML won't hurt too much.

Overall it's still one of the best Heavy mechs in the game. Just the hardpoint on CT won't see much use.

But that's me not being a fan of UAC2s and MGs.

#4 Corbenik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:56 PM

i run mines like thiis, hasnt failed me yet and is a nice brawler.
Posted Image

#5 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

View PostHorkerkiin, on 07 March 2015 - 02:07 PM, said:

Hi guys been out of MWO for a while (since just after the Madcat was released) just getting back in, Was wandering where things sat with it ATM? it was my favorite mech to use at the time, I just ran stock TBH pureley because I find the mechlab and everything else since it all changed such a ******* eyesore and pain to navigate through.

How are things withe the prime variant currently? has it been nerfed through the floor? still an ok mech to run? what are people building on it nowadays?

Thanks!

It was nerfed quite a bit and the Inner sphere now have quirks which now removed the range advantage clans have and in a way the heat efficiency. Sure Clan heatsinks is 2 crit slots while IS are 3 slots but internal engine heatsinks still take the same space as the engine and the IS have reduced heat quirks which in some conditions make the mech 20 to 50% more heat effecient then the clan counterpart.

The Timberwolf "Mad Cat" is an alright mech right now, not good for anything but laser boating like all clan mechs as anything else (missiles, ballistics, etc) have been nerfed to the floor besides UAC 2's which recently got it's ghost heat removed.

The Timberwolf is an average mech but the best clan mech due to the bombardment of nerfs leading some clan mechs
(Mist lynx, non ECM kitfox, adder, nova, ice ferret, mad dog, non ecm hellbringer, summoner, gargoyle) nearly impossible to play compatibly thus making it hard to use in Community warfare.

Due to this power gaps and devide for clans the Timberwolf is the first targeted clan mech out there as it is the only mech that can do something more then tickling.

At the momment we can see a theme running here. People keep crying it's over powered and clan quirks are incoming.
4 mechs (Adder, ice ferret, summoner, gargoyle) are getting quriks on the 17th /3 but when all clan mechs get quirks we will see little to non quirks for the timberwolf. Making it (after the quirkening) the WORST clan mech in game.

Much like the jenner, cataphract, highlander, and atlas are suffering now. With little to no quirks on some/ most variants due to being the old 'top dog' but now we have other mechs to take this place (1:1 standard it is..)

Firestarter, Thunderbolt, Victor/ Banshee, and the King crab.

General summary: We may have to wait till 2016 to see timberwolf love.

#6 Black Crimson

• Pip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:25 PM

My Timberwolf gets killed pretty quickly. Losing arms and side torsoes fast. How do I use it more effectively? I'm used to playing a brawly Atlas, or a dual AC20 king crab.

#7 Tool Box

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 219 posts
  • LocationDealing with a lance of enemies by myself.

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:43 AM

View PostBlack Crimson, on 19 March 2015 - 06:25 PM, said:

My Timberwolf gets killed pretty quickly. Losing arms and side torsoes fast. How do I use it more effectively? I'm used to playing a brawly Atlas, or a dual AC20 king crab.

A decent brawler timber wolf would be TimberPrime

#8 InRev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:24 AM

It's still the best heavy in the game, by far. Nothing can match its blend of durability, favorable hitboxes, firepower potential, mobility (with JJs) and speed.

If you aren't doing well, or even dominating, in a Timber Wolf, then either your build is bad, or you're just not a very good heavy player. It really is that simple.

Quirks have helped the IS find niches (thunderwub for brawling, ERLL thuds for sniping, chainsaw dragon for pure, glass cannon dps), but the Timbergod is still the perfect balance of all traits and is the go-to mech in unrestricted comp play for a reason.

(note: The Prime variant is considered inferior to the C by virtue of the CT energy hardpoint, but that is only relevant in the absolute most min-max of scenarios)

#9 Wronka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 180 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:29 AM

I am blown away to see people say things like the Timber Wolf is "average". I 100% agree with the post above mine.

Without question the TBR is the best heavy mech in the game, was when it first came out, and still is today. It is ranked by many as the #1 mech choice for ANY range, just swap the weapons and you got a top tier build.

Edited by Wronka, 01 April 2015 - 10:30 AM.

#10 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:00 AM

I find the 2LPL/4ERML setup the best for CW.

The dual UAC5 is very fun and can be incredibly effective in the right hands. The great thing about the TW is that it can adapt to any role you want it to. If you think you can brawl then you need to get the TW-S torsos and slap some very weight-manageable SRM4/6 packs on there.

You shouldn't be dying quickly if your armor is setup correctly. The TW is indeed the best heavy in the game, it may not be the most fun, but it's the best.

#11 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:14 PM

Most decent clan mechs can go 2 Large + 4 Mediums for a 50 point alpha. I do prefer ERLL though so I don't end up twiddling my thumbs at long range and can poke light mech snipers to drive them off.

#12 Poisoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:40 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c5da4ff40aaee79 This is the prime variant I run

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5e4f3af031791c9 Med Laser with LPL

I myself prefer the MPL variant, it may have an unused ton without the C's CT energy hardpoint, but it has higher DPS and runs cooler than the version with LPL. Just be smart about what range you can engage at.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users