Question About The Jenner.

23 replies to this topic

#1 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:17 PM

So I just decided to pick up some Jenners. I am a light mech pilot and I am a big fan of my LCT-1E with 6 medium lasers and my RVN-2X with 4 medium lasers and 1 SRM 6. I do great in these mechs and I rarely ever get hit by anything big. So I thought I would love the Jenner. Fast, jump jets, lots of lasers, sounds great, right? Well apparently not. This mech, I swear, this mech is the only IS light mech I have ever piloted that I am constantly getting pegged by Gauss Rifles and AC/20s and PPCs. Just there one second and gone the next. And when I'm not getting hit by large things it seems that the Jenner suffers from the light mech equivalent of the same problem the Awesome has: HUGE CT hitbox. Like every little scrap of damage my Jenner takes goes to the CT and I end up cored out in seconds no matter how I am dodging whereas if I were in my Locust I could have taken the same amount of damage and spread it out all over my mech and come out without even a single stripped component. So does anyone else have this issue, or is it just me? Because I cannot figure out why on Earth the Jenner is apparently so much easier to hit than your other run of the mill light mech.

#2 Impossible Wasabi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • 462 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

No, you are not alone.

It's a pretty well known fact that the terrible CT hitbox (which stems from the Early Beta days of the so-called "lag shield") make the Jenner particularly prone to dying.

So like you said, anything shot anywhere near your center torso, tends to hit your center torso perfectly and when it's a decent alpha (such as Gauss or AC20s), you won't be around for long.

The same sort of thing applies to the Raven to some extent, where the developers bumped up the leg hitboxes due to poor hitreg and then left it in place when hitreg was slightly improved.

Edited by The True Space Pope, 07 March 2015 - 04:30 PM.

#3 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:35 PM

It's definitely an issue. The Jenner is also falling out of popularity due to how strong the Firestarters are, but they still have some noteworthy characteristics:

- torso twist
- high mounted hardpoints - you need to expose less of yourself to attack
- tightly grouped hardpoints - you need to worry less about one laser connecting and the rest going into a hill
- all arm lasers mean shooting up/down hills is never a problem

#4 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:38 PM

That's really a shame. This mech would be downright good if they fixed that hitbox.

#5 Impossible Wasabi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • 462 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, it was a pretty great mech earlier in the history of the game.

Mind you, the Space Pope still considers his Jenners to be good mechs, but they have definitely fallen from Tier 1 levels. Still, he enjoys taking out the Trial Jenner every so often to get some challenging rounds in.

With that being said, the Oxide is so much fun to use.

Edited by The True Space Pope, 07 March 2015 - 05:12 PM.

#6 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:49 PM

The Jenner is still very good for peeking over hills to shoot enemies with minimal exposure. If you only spend a second looking at the enemy before going back into cover, you'll rarely get hit unless the enemy predicts where you'll pop up next.

#7 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:49 AM

View PostThe True Space Pope, on 07 March 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

Yeah, it was a pretty great mech earlier in the history of the game.

Mind you, the Space Pope still considers his Jenners to be good mechs, but they have definitely fallen from Tier 1 levels. Still, he enjoys taking out the Trial Jenner every so often to get some challenging rounds in.

With that being said, the Oxide is so much fun to use.

^ All of this. I still maintain that the JR7-F is The Once and Future King, awaiting a Quirk-Sword from the Inouye in the Lake.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:16 AM

The Jenner is a combat Light like the Firestarter, both have advantages and disadvantages, the Jenner is faster, more manoeuvrable, has better torso twist, and is better able to hit targets as different elevations.

The Firestarter has better hitboxes and more weapons, unfortunately the Firestarters hitboxes make it able to withstand a lot more damage than the Jenner, which is the main reason it is superior.

My advice in the Jenner:
Mount maximum armour on the CT with only 2 points on the rear, the rest all goes to the front,
Put in an XL engine, with hundreds of games played in a Jenner I do not recall ever loosing a side torso.
If you need to reduce armour for extra tonnage take it from the sides, yes seriously, the Jenner side torsos are sandwiched between the CT and the arms, the side torsos rarely get hit
If you are under fire twist to spread damage
As with any other Light, never stop moving if you can see an enemy
use the terain to your advantage, using cover when available

#9 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:07 PM

This mech is in really needs of hit box adjustment.

#10 EmperorZombie

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:53 PM

Jenners handle SSSSOOOOOOOOOO much better than the FS, IMO.
FS feels like its in a body cast.
Jenner feels like a mountain cat. Smooth and silky, until it gets punched in the face.

Weapons quirks and CT armor and structure buff, really all it needs.

Why PGI is dragging their feet, i dunno.

#11 gamingogre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:52 PM

I am having trouble leveling the jenner. I get killed in a few seconds every time. My commandos and spiders have less armor, but last longer. Definitely broken. I slapped a XL300, XL280, XL260 into my three jenners. Quick CT death with all three.

#12 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:59 PM

View Postgamingogre, on 13 March 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

I am having trouble leveling the jenner. I get killed in a few seconds every time. My commandos and spiders have less armor, but last longer. Definitely broken. I slapped a XL300, XL280, XL260 into my three jenners. Quick CT death with all three.

They just have big CTs. Have you focused your armor to the front? You generally don't need too much in the back as a light pilot, though the amount you use will have to be to seasoned to taste for that mech and your style.

For example, I run 4 rear armor on my Locusts, which is really just there to guard against laser-swipes. It won't stand up to any kind of PPD, though keeping non-front-loaded pin-point damage pin-point on a spot on a Locust's back is difficult.

#13 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:11 AM

Posted Image

There you go, that is why you're dying so darn fast. you can hit a Jenner's CT from the side piece of cake.

Because they were regarded so highly still before quirks, and they have jumpjets (which reduces quirk numbers) the Jenner is in a sad place. most other lights can out fight it Damage wise, and it suffers greatly from its giant making it die quickly.

You can do okay if you try and keep in mind you're very squishy and run stuff like 4-6 mediums or MPL and poke over ridges. fire once, get out. they're great as distraction.

#14 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:17 AM

Perhaps this would also mean the jenner need not have so much ST armour?

Personally i have always found 6pts armour on my back is too much, i hardly ever show people my back.

#15 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:43 AM

Yup, the trick is to put all your armour in the front CT, and then make sure the enemy only ever shoots your front CT, so they have to chew through all the armour. The closer you can get to zero armour on the rear CT, the better. If you ever get shot in the back... you need to practice more. =P

#16 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:56 AM

I personally like the hitbox...

It means I can skip some armour in other areas and prioritize it to the CT then have some spare for extra equipment...

#17 EasyPickings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 192 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:05 PM

Make it work for you. Load up the front CT with armour and ignore the side torsos. Yesterday, I was able to run straight into the arms of a Jagermech with my JR7-O and pump him full of SRMs. With his long arm-mounted weapons he was unable to hit me when he fired because I was too close. Five or so volleys later, he was a smoking heap and I was able to get away to nail other enemies. The Jenner's strength is how much weaponry it can bring to the fore. It can easily alpha 35+ consistently without overheating. Ton for ton, it's one of the most powerful mechs out there.

#18 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:13 PM

View PostEasyPickings, on 15 March 2015 - 05:05 PM, said:

Make it work for you. Load up the front CT with armour and ignore the side torsos. Yesterday, I was able to run straight into the arms of a Jagermech with my JR7-O and pump him full of SRMs. With his long arm-mounted weapons he was unable to hit me when he fired because I was too close. Five or so volleys later, he was a smoking heap and I was able to get away to nail other enemies. The Jenner's strength is how much weaponry it can bring to the fore. It can easily alpha 35+ consistently without overheating. Ton for ton, it's one of the most powerful mechs out there.

this is why so many people miss collision. back in beta you'd be an your butt dead for getting so close to a mech. that said, the Oxide is a bit of an outlier. its the only jenner with Quirks worth a damn, and its pretty hard to use against lights unless you get a lot of practice. most other jenner builds don't break 30 alpha, and at that its a hot build that isn't so great against other lights due to most other mechs with a similar load out having quirks behind them (the firestarter is very guilty of this) and due to the big CT they usually die a lot quicker than similar sized mechs with similar armament, nevermind anything bigger than can aim strait.

#19 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:25 PM

View Postgamingogre, on 13 March 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

Need that XL 300 in rotation, best bet is to hit and run. If you can run Spiders and Commandoes Jenners shouldn't be an issue.

It's really all up to hit and run while torso twisting. It's big CT can be fixed by pure torso twist (exactly what Terciel wrote the other day to me asking of Jenners.)

I don't suggest full front armor, leave a bit of rear armor so you can run safely in case of severe amounts of light hunters, you can run away fast enough with XL 300.

Edited by luxebo, 15 March 2015 - 10:27 PM.

#20 EasyPickings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 192 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

View PostFerrolupisXIII, on 15 March 2015 - 10:13 PM, said:

most other jenner builds don't break 30 alpha, and at that its a hot build that isn't so great against other lights due to most other mechs with a similar load out having quirks behind them (the firestarter is very guilty of this) and due to the big CT they usually die a lot quicker than similar sized mechs with similar armament, nevermind anything bigger than can aim strait.

All of my JR7 builds are 30 or over alpha: JR7-D = 37.2 (4xML 2xSRM4), JR7-F(C) = 30 (6xML), JR7-O = 34.4 (4xSRM4). The Oxide is the slowest with an XL285, and the F(C) sports an XL300. Yes, the large CT is a problem, but if you play smart and are lucky you can easily break 400 damage each game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users