So What's The Deal With Mwo And Mw:ll

270 replies to this topic

#261 GeneralArmchair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:39 PM

As long as MWO has things to learn from a fan made mod, then talking about it will be relevant regardless of the year.

#262 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:53 PM

View PostDivideByZer0, on 10 March 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

I remember before all this happened, we were talking about how, MWO was more of an arcade game, as opposed to the MWLL goal of being a simulator. It looks flashy, but that's because it's meant to. MWO uses the crytek environment like a child. Concerned about bright colors and extreme landscapes and bright lights, with little concern for actual playability or maximization of the engine.

And yet this game eats ressources as if theres no tomorrow. And these sudden major fps drops

#263 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostKraftySOT, on 10 March 2015 - 09:58 AM, said:

Secondly, why work for PGI when you can work for someone who makes AAA titles?

Posted Image

Whaaaaa?

View PostDivideByZer0, on 10 March 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

I remember before all this happened, we were talking about how, MWO was more of an arcade game, as opposed to the MWLL goal of being a simulator. It looks flashy, but that's because it's meant to. MWO uses the crytek environment like a child. Concerned about bright colors and extreme landscapes and bright lights, with little concern for actual playability or maximization of the engine.

The funny part being MWO was supposed to be a simulator at first.

#264 DivideByZer0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 10 March 2015 - 03:36 PM, said:

The funny part being MWO was supposed to be a simulator at first.

Good joke. I tried to get my aerospace electrical engineer friend to play, he wouldn't shut up about why ECM is wrong for like 3 days...

#265 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:37 PM

Ahh MWLL.

I came into it when Mechwarrior was seeing it's rather large resurgence, Mektek had released MW4 Mercs for free... Mechwarrior 5/3015 had been announced [and subsiquently taken down and changed to MWO] I was in college and playing lots of MW4:Mercs and then LL came out.

I had a computer that could, actually, run crysis... and I snagged the mod, Back when it was originally a mod FOR cryisis, not Crysis Wars.

After tinkering with it, and finally getting everything to work, I sat down for quite possibly, what at the time was the most fun Mechwarrior experience I'd ever had.

Mechs looked, fairly realistic, it took me back to my Mech 3 days [which I still feel looked overall better than Mech 4.] Damage with lasers was DoT, missiles felt, more impressive. Having Tanks and Aerospace and Infantry on the map was amazing.

Then there were little details. Powering down to remove radar sig, the radar system on the whole, Long Tom being a driveable asset. ect.

I remember a game fondly, where I'd taken a raven, it had an ERPPC and some minor backup weapons. I'd scouted forward for the team on a large swamp map, and taken some cover in some heavy vegetation, I'd hunkered down and watched as an entire star of mechs marched past me without ever seeing me. relaying their position to the team, I powered back up, and fought a Shadow Cat in a duel till I won, then, heavy damaged, limped back to my lines for repair/rearm and friendly support. All the while LRM's, and laser fire was blasting past me, narrowly missing my mech as I weaved the best I could with a torn up mech. Hoping to blake my ride would see me through.

I've never had quite as, intesnse of experiences in MWO... which is sad, because once I heard about MWO, I jumped on the train hard. I've bought ever top tier pack except Phoenix [and only missed out on Phoenix because of money issues at the time.] The other downfall is that, MWO has ruined me in regards to Living Legends.

I'd played LL so long, that I'd started seeing the large imbalances. Tanks tend to outpreform mechs, as do aerospace... and I don't really play Mechwarrior so I can get owned my tanks constantly, I play it for the mech combat. MWO's combat system is pretty good, and I got spoiled with the free floating arm reticle, and can't play the current LL build due to it's half-implimentation of it.

I gave it a shot this morning, and was just reminded why I stopped playing LL in favor of Mechwarrior Online... while LL may have, objectively, been the better, more interesting experience. Mechwarrior Online is much, much more polished.

#266 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:22 PM

things mwll got right (and does better than pgi):

1. electronic warfare
2. maps
3. textures
4. effects
5. game modes

things it got wrong:

1. tanks op omg
2. mechs are ugly (compared to mwo, to other mechwarrior games they were pretty damn good)
3. it felt half assed in some places (especially the way you spawn as ba, have to wait to build your chassis, and then hop in with jets before you could stomp and kill things).
4. hard to set up.
5. not enough players.

#267 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:26 AM

Battle armor fight

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 28 March 2015 - 07:29 AM.

#268 Kh0rn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:30 AM

Hello there I am doing a community player drive for MWLL as it is a complete stand alone game now no longer requiring the need for Crysis. If you are interested too play with the growing playing base head over too na1.mech-connect.net MWLL recruitment channel for all the information about the game the stand alone download , new custom maps of rebuild older mech warrior classics and events such as the on going chaos march. If you want too play the game please also support it. Thank you.

#269 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:22 PM

View PostKh0rn, on 29 March 2015 - 09:30 AM, said:

Hello there I am doing a community player drive for MWLL as it is a complete stand alone game now no longer requiring the need for Crysis. If you are interested too play with the growing playing base head over too na1.mech-connect.net MWLL recruitment channel for all the information about the game the stand alone download , new custom maps of rebuild older mech warrior classics and events such as the on going chaos march. If you want too play the game please also support it. Thank you.

Link doesn't work for me.

#270 Raven IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:45 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 29 March 2015 - 02:22 PM, said:

Link doesn't work for me.

Have you tried this: http://forum.mechliv...ic,19022.0.html
It should work.

#271 Kh0rn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:41 AM

That link is a Team speak server where you will find all the needed info too play including custom maps and configs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users