The Most Effective Method Of Inspiring Bravery

29 replies to this topic

#21 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:41 AM

Most effective inspiration speech I've heard to date - "If you don't push with us, we will all turn around and TK you."

#22 HARDKOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

View Postsycocys, on 16 March 2015 - 07:41 AM, said:

Most effective inspiration speech I've heard to date - "If you don't push with us, we will all turn around and TK you."

This sounds familiar, along with "Last one to ready up gets legged!"

#23 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:11 AM

View PostSandersson Jankins, on 08 March 2015 - 10:58 PM, said:

I realize that some people refuse to enable voice-comms, or perhaps have them turned off/muted in ignorance. That's fine.

Interesting statement there. Are the others the same people who refused to use things like teamspeak and /or join units?
Did you call them ignorant too?
My hit reg fluctuates wildly when I have voip turned on, even more so in cw. I can either listen to you and maybe deal damage when I hit or not listen to you and mostly deal damage when I hit. Teamspeak doesn't affect it at all, strangely.

Edited by kamiko kross, 23 March 2015 - 04:12 AM.

#24 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:32 AM

View Postkamiko kross, on 23 March 2015 - 04:11 AM, said:

Interesting statement there. Are the others the same people who refused to use things like teamspeak and /or join units?
Did you call them ignorant too?
My hit reg fluctuates wildly when I have voip turned on, even more so in cw. I can either listen to you and maybe deal damage when I hit or not listen to you and mostly deal damage when I hit. Teamspeak doesn't affect it at all, strangely.

I think you misunderstood a bit, or I mis-spoke a bit, or likely a bit of both. It is my recollection that VOIP was turned off by default when it was patched in. If I'm wrong, then I've got no leg to stand on. But given that you need to actively enable VOIP, it stands to reason that many new players would not be aware of its existence, given poor documentation on the part of PGI.

My statement stemmed from experience with people that would actively turn off VOIP and sometimes chat on any multiplayer game they play, because they simply do not wish to communicate with others. This has happened several times, meeting them through an internet pal.

Any step you can take to improve your performance in drops does take priority, of course. I encourage anyone that has significant performance problems when using in-game VOIP, please do turn it off. I couldn't ask someone to play at ungodly low FPS for any reason, I've been there in the past and it blows.

I think maybe you take small insult to my use of the word "ignorance". I do not know enough about a single member of these forums to call someone ignorant. That takes real-life experience with the individual, and a lot of it. However, it is no insult to point out that a person may have ignorance on a specific subject, IE, super-stompy-rompy-mechy-blasty sim 2k15 that we play. How is someone supposed to feel bad for not knowing something that they'll NEVER EVER use outside of this game? It's the very smallest of problems, which can easily be solved by politely informing them of sources of information.

As for using TS and joining units, nobody's under any obligation to do any of that. In fact, nobody is under any obligation to do ANYTHING that isn't against ToS. So, someone is perfectly able to play CW in any way they wish besides rampant teamkilling or very stupid behavior. I'm not about to tell someone "hey, play the game this way" "you're doing it wrong" "STOP HAVING FUN THAT WAY DO IT THIS WAY." However, if I think that someone could have more fun by using VOIP, TS, joining units, and generally becoming informed, I will try to assist them in any way.

This is one of my favorite games, and I've been a BT fan for ages. CW is extremely fun for me, but I recognize that it is far from perfect. I'll do my part to try and improve it if I can; it's only proper since I enjoy it so much.

#25 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:30 AM

Concerning the comms, for myself I disabled voip and stopped logging into my units chat client as well as uninstalled TS.

Comms - I don't want to listen to pugs talk about how this map or mech looks like their penis.

TS - The one and only time I logged into our factions hub I was met with players cussing each other out. Immediate uninstall.

My units client - well recently they've all gone the way of late night/end of ceasefire rushing and I'm asleep at that point or can get max 1 game in. Also some of them have also been getting quite testy towards each other which eliminates the one reason I would drop with them in the first place, for the fun banter no matter how a match is going.

I just went back to communicating via text, if no one replies it doesn't bother me in the least.

#26 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:48 PM

The Imperial Guard has the right idea.

Posted Image

#27 Romeo Deluxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 449 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:24 AM

I'm starting to think it's pointless. Maybe I'll feel different tomorrow. I don't see how to be any clearer "don't stop at the gate or you block those behind and everyone dies there." Repeated several times. So I end up being the only one to the grid that was planned on being our destination. In a Raven mind you. Turn back and see 11 dudes frozen with fear standing right at the gate opening as Arty strikes rain down on them. Look at chat and I see someone kept typing over and over "don't push" "let them come to us". We were the attackers in the match. *groan*

#28 DaynarFaol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 103 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:05 AM

A good "trick" is keep a clam, level tone. No matter how borked the situation gets.
Something they teach in military comms. If you sound calm at all times that translates to others and helps keep them focused on the task at hand.

Been known to speak in the same tone while getting hammered on a push.

It is sounding as if you can never lose your cool. Even if the wave turns into a brat you keep a calm level tone and go "Ok that could have gone a bit better. Here is what we are going to do."

Not try. Do.

Clear, short, defined instructions work best.

EX:
Form up G6.
Rally F4.
We will push to E3. Once the push is called do not stop.

Keeping comms simple and clear is ideal.

Generally with my unit and pugs mixed I will have one guy in my unit do the typing while I use voice comms. I also generally have an FCO (Fire Control Officer) that calls the targets to focus fire. This frees me up to focus on tactics and movement.

Also when using VOIP be sure to be on push to talk. That way you can follow the standard of Think, Breath, Then speak.

No matter how nuts a tactical situation gets there is always a few seconds to both think and react.

Have had it were just by keeping a calm, level tone that we have turned a situation around.

#29 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:05 PM

You have to stop them thinking like a solo player.
Every thought they have is of their survival and their score. "me,myself and I"
When that stops, the team's chances go dramatically up.

How to get them to stop that though? It's ingrained into modern gaming (and non gaming) culture, I'm entitled to do whatever I want to. Don't tell me how to play...etc
How do you change that?

#30 QueenBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 710 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:31 PM

I just play b33f's voice over voip and peope follow like lemmings.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users