21 replies to this topic

#1 Xaositect

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California, USA

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

Hi everyone,

I need a new headset, since the old Creative Labs Fata1ity one I use has a terrible microphone, and I foolishly bought a Klipsch KG-200 Pro headset because it was on sale at Newegg without looking at a review, which would have informed me that, at least with a PC, it has a constant background hiss that there seems to be no way to get rid of. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably-priced headset that has both good sound quality and a good microphone? Something $100 or under would be nice, though I'd be willing to go over that if the quality and durability are good enough. Thanks in advance!

#2 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:57 PM

Peronsally, I'd consider one of the following depending on your preferences:

Corsair H1500 - decent built-in surround (can get quirky and left-right reverse sometime), actually decent sound and absolutely standout good for a gaming headset, not very durable but fairly comfortable. I've always been extremely impressed by the level of clarity these provide, however you do have to watch the wire because it's the first thing to break if it gets yanked rolled up into wheels too many times. Still, if you can put up with delicacy, this is the best gaming headset on the market as far as I'm concerned, especially for its price.

Audio Technica A700x - a hair beyond your price range, but the sound quality is far and away beyond any gaming headset and they take really well to virtual surround because of the wide sound stage. Good noise isolation. You will need a mic of some kind, but clip-ons are dirt cheap (Zalman makes a good one for like $8). The wing system is very comfortable as long as you don't have a particularly small head. AD700x is the open-air version but isolation is nice to have. In any case, you won't come close to beating them sound-wise, though you'll have to work out your own surround solution (I've used a Xonar DG and Razer Surround, prefer the Xonar but both work)

Kingston HyperX Cloud II - another USB surround headset, highly regarded, but more expensive than Corsair's.

Skullcandy Slyr (forgot these guys, got reminded later) - Another headset, but without the surround for your $60. At $60 there's still the budget for a Xonar DG/DGX to get dolby headphone, however. I haven't personally used these, but I've heard many rave reviews about their sound quality and since good sound is rare for gaming gear I figure it's worth inclusion. Good detail, however it has a very small soundstage, so it will not take all that well to virtual surround or otherwise give great positional cues. Still, if you're looking for something 3.5mm instead of USB, they're probably better than any other option.

Edited by Catamount, 10 March 2015 - 03:40 PM.

#3 Founder1

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:35 PM

http://www.maximumpc...ts_reviewed2015

Awesome reviews... should be what you are looking for.

#4 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:37 PM

View PostXaositect, on 09 March 2015 - 01:12 PM, said:

Hi everyone,

I need a new headset, since the old Creative Labs Fata1ity one I use has a terrible microphone, and I foolishly bought a Klipsch KG-200 Pro headset because it was on sale at Newegg without looking at a review, which would have informed me that, at least with a PC, it has a constant background hiss that there seems to be no way to get rid of.

That's the active amp causing that issue. Send it back.

options:

http://www.pcmag.com...,2423901,00.asp
http://www.pcmag.com...,2457719,00.asp

#5 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:02 PM

I currently have a Logitech H110 that I got for $15+Tax @ Walmart, the Headphones are to my liking but I never tried the Mic yet to see what the quality of it is. If I had $100 to get something higher end though, I'd likely look at the Logitech G930.

#6 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:02 AM

I really can't fathom spending $100 on a gaming headset, and that's despite my recommendation above which is just me assuming some people are determined to do so anyways. I have been through a lot of audio hardware in the last few years, multiple sound cards from different vendors, several gaming headsets, low to high end headphones, surround speaker setups, etc, not enough to be some hardcore hipster audiophile expert or whatever, but certainly enough to get a pretty good feel at least for how quite a few things sound, and I will echo what almost any audio community out there will say (and don't take my word for it, head over to places like Head Fi and look at their long running opinions): gaming headsets are generally lousy. I love them in the $30-$70 price range, because they can make up for bad to mediocre sound and absolutely shoddy construction with lots of features (built-in mic, built-in surround processing, USB compatibility for notebook use, etc), and while there are great sub-$100 headphones, they're never great gaming headphones because I've never found any that are give both passable isolation and a decent soundstage, while something like a Corsair H1500 does. Of course, the H1500 is also the best sound I've ever heard in gaming gear, by far. I still miss mine sometimes.

But once you're willing to spend the budget for real audio equipment, I say get real audio equipment. It'll sound far and away better and give a competitive advantage, it'll be built to last you a lot longer, it can carry over well to other uses like music and movies, and it's something that'll carry through better as your sound setup and needs otherwise change.

Edited by Catamount, 10 March 2015 - 07:19 AM.

#7 Tom Sawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:12 AM

Kingston HyperX Cloud II - another USB surround headset, highly regarded, but more expensive than Corsair's

I myself just bought this headset and could not recommend it more. It has a USB connection or you can just use the provided 3.5 connector if you want. By using the USB you get 7.1 surround sound or at least as good as your going to get with headphones.
The mic is removable and is very crisp and clear. It does use sound dampening but as my drop buddies will tell you it can often pick up background noise if you do not lower the sensitivity. I tend to play in a noisy house with 2 kids so that plays a factor. The cans are very comfortable and block out ALOT of noise, even more so when gaming.

#8 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:19 AM

View PostXaositect, on 09 March 2015 - 01:12 PM, said:

Hi everyone,

I need a new headset, since the old Creative Labs Fata1ity one I use has a terrible microphone, and I foolishly bought a Klipsch KG-200 Pro headset because it was on sale at Newegg without looking at a review, which would have informed me that, at least with a PC, it has a constant background hiss that there seems to be no way to get rid of. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably-priced headset that has both good sound quality and a good microphone? Something $100 or under would be nice, though I'd be willing to go over that if the quality and durability are good enough. Thanks in advance!

The one that I use, and got as a Father's day gift last year from my wife and toddler:

https://www.turtlebe...rce-z-seven/341

I went from an old Logitech headset to this one, and the difference was huge!

#9 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:33 AM

there are some easy things to look for and a wide range of products at different cost will cover them. Durability, fit and comfort will need to be looked at. Also the ability to clean them off from time to time so you do not have a funky headset on your head.

go for one that has push to talk on the cord,

the ability to determine sounds to the right or left (yes you can hear those firestarters trying to walk up behind you or on the other side of a rock), and

is voice activated (to not broadcast other sounds in the back ground.)

#10 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:35 AM

View PostTom Sawyer, on 10 March 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

Kingston HyperX Cloud II - another USB surround headset, highly regarded, but more expensive than Corsair's

I myself just bought this headset and could not recommend it more. It has a USB connection or you can just use the provided 3.5 connector if you want. By using the USB you get 7.1 surround sound or at least as good as your going to get with headphones.
The mic is removable and is very crisp and clear. It does use sound dampening but as my drop buddies will tell you it can often pick up background noise if you do not lower the sensitivity. I tend to play in a noisy house with 2 kids so that plays a factor. The cans are very comfortable and block out ALOT of noise, even more so when gaming.

It's good to hear a little more about these. I might buy a set someday just to see how I like them compared to the Vengeance 1500/H1500 and whether they can survive at the $100 pricepoint... and then promptly sell them and go back to my A900x :D but I digress.

It sounds to me like they deserve good marks for isolation and detail, which is great. How are the positional cues with the surround? Do they really do a good job of, say, distinguishing something that's behind you vs in front, or maybe even, say, behind and left vs left, vs front left? I know it's hard to pay attention to in gaming when you're being shot at and what not, so sorry for the battery of questions, it's just rare to hear great reviews about a headset so it's piqued my interest.

Also, if you don't mind my asking, do you have other good headsets/headphones you've used as points of comparison? If so then wow do they compare? If they're better, then by how much? Does this Kingston set lack in any particular area?

Edited by Catamount, 10 March 2015 - 07:40 AM.

#11 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:40 AM

Logitech G930

Amazing headset

#12 z MadButcher z

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 102 posts
  • LocationButchers Chop Shop

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:59 AM

I have had trouble with almost every cheaper headset I have purchased so my recommendation may be a bit out of your price range, but its just a suggestion. I us Astro A40's with the MixAmp pro. They have amazing sound quality and are extremely durable. I have had mine for three years and it still works as well as the day I bought it. I used to play high level competitive tournaments ( mainly on console, but some PC games) and this headset gives you amazing directional sound quality which is huge if you are in a 1v1 and need to find another mech. If you stop moving and listen you can hear another mech moving up to around 200m away. if you like wireless the Astro A50's are the way to go. I'm not sure on the current pricing, but when I bought mine I payed $250 for the complete set.

#13 KhanJames

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • LocationFl

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:08 AM

I have the plantronics 780 (which i wouldnt reccomend) and the Cloud II. I would say they cloud is worth the cost. Paid 45 (on sale) for the 780 and thought it was good for a while but having driver issues with windows 8 made it too much of a pain to use and after wearing the cloud you realize how "un ergonomic" they are. The cloud has its "independant" usb sound card or could use it without it. A few of my friends have tritton and turtle beach headsets for xbox (which if you have the headset adapter the cloud also works on) and the cloud is just as good (if not better, because it is lighter and personally i prefer oval ears) as their headsets at around 2/3 the cost (I paid 100 they paid 120 and 160 respectivly). So i would say buy the higher quality so you only have to buy once and wont have to worry about it. If you spend a bit more you could get wireless but to me the price bump and (admittedly minimal) weight/ergo diffrences arent worth it.

#14 Korak18

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in "Reaver Space"

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:49 AM

Cheapo LG's at the local dollar store....$3.99 +tax...
Sound like crap, fairly hard ear cushions but a great Mic.
Go figure...for short runs under an hour they work just fine..

#15 3CLIPZ3

• PipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:55 AM

I decided and am quite happy with using Skull Candy Crushers, the bass is really amazing for MWO. Even though it doesn't have a PC mic, you can buy an adapter to convert the phone mic into a PC one.

#16 Tom Sawyer

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:20 AM

View PostCatamount, on 10 March 2015 - 07:35 AM, said:

It's good to hear a little more about these. I might buy a set someday just to see how I like them compared to the Vengeance 1500/H1500 and whether they can survive at the $100 pricepoint... and then promptly sell them and go back to my A900x :D but I digress.

It sounds to me like they deserve good marks for isolation and detail, which is great. How are the positional cues with the surround? Do they really do a good job of, say, distinguishing something that's behind you vs in front, or maybe even, say, behind and left vs left, vs front left? I know it's hard to pay attention to in gaming when you're being shot at and what not, so sorry for the battery of questions, it's just rare to hear great reviews about a headset so it's piqued my interest.

Also, if you don't mind my asking, do you have other good headsets/headphones you've used as points of comparison? If so then wow do they compare? If they're better, then by how much? Does this Kingston set lack in any particular area?

Used steel series, turtle beach and some cheap walmart knock offs. The positional sound on the Cloud II's are excellent. I can pinpoint mechs and directions of fire. When you use the 7.1 sound card it amps up the sound decent.

#17 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:38 PM

Turtle Beach headsets are cheap Walmart knockoff sound gear; they're just packaged fancily and sold at high prices :P

It sounds like the Cloud IIs might merit further investigation. I will definitely check them out and maybe write up a review down the road. I'm tough to please, but who knows, they might just be the second gaming headset, in the whole wide world, that actually impresses me :)

Edited by Catamount, 10 March 2015 - 03:39 PM.

#18 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:19 AM

Posted Image

#19 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC