So What Are You Thoughts On The New Kurita Warhorn?

57 replies to this topic

#21 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:22 AM

The Davion one is the best one in the bunch, I guess they had to get buffed somehow...

#22 YCSLiesmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:00 AM

the davion one feels super corporate and soulless. which i like

#23 JamboJuice

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 84 posts
  • LocationArmpit of America, South Carolina

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:19 AM

I just want my Chrisopher Walken "Gotta have more Cowbell" Warhorn. That would make my life complete

#24 Harvey Batchall Kerensky at Law

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:58 AM

It's almost like the resistance pack was too good of a deal at twice as much as any actual game, so they made everything in it really bad

#25 callmejon

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 76 posts
  • Locationeverywhere

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:17 PM

dragon for kurita warhorn any of these would work

#26 Ultra-Laser

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:39 PM

View PostSnoopy, on 12 March 2015 - 09:14 AM, said:

IMHO all IS warhorns (with exception of ComStar) do not sound very inspiring and/or intimidating.

But this is probably in the ear of the listener.

Funny you mention that, I listened to the Comstar/Star Leauge/Cameron Star on the soundcould and thought it was positively underwhelming compared to what I hear in game, so there's a chance that these warhorns might not seem so bad once we've had a chance to get a few kills with them in our mechs.

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 12 March 2015 - 07:59 AM, said:

The Liao one is the best imo. it's the one that feels the least generic.

I wouldn't really mind if the Kurita and Liao warhorn sounds go switched really, they still wouldn't be 100% but the Liao one isn't quite so...jarring? Is that the word I want?

View PostRon Ron, on 12 March 2015 - 08:37 AM, said:

Gotta give credit though, I really like the sound of everything on Manifold

I would be cool with the next CW/Invasion map after the next being a not-manifold type deal if they just broke up the monochrome techno block landscape with big emptyish fields of grey sand to actually give the impression that you were fighting on a barren planetoid rather then taking a stroll on the death star. I'm not huge on the details of map balence, but it would be nice if we got a nice open-ish area to fight in with enough only just enough LOS blockers that brawlers could get a chance to advance without having to spend 30+ seconds waddleing across an empty field. Defenders would be sure to have some nice big fields of fire, but I don't see that as being much worse then the current maps where the attackers only have a handful of places they can push through because the only ways to the objectives are through some canyons anyway. If you make the gates part of a fort that has a gate gen that can either be hit from far away but force the snipers to expose themselves and a gate gen that the attackers can approach with minimal exposure but gives the defenders ample time to respond seems like an even way of doing it.

Spoiler

#27 ImperialAce

Rookie

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:43 PM

Please PGI REDO THE IS WARHORNS... that is all, thank you.

ps...Gl Hf from Arkab o7 need a unit visit us @ www.Arkablegions.com

#28 Samurai Hanse Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:30 PM

How All New Warhorns Sound To Me:

#29 Musashi Alexander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:42 PM

It's awful...starts ok...then wtf

#30 Tasker

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:28 PM

Mechs: bad
Warhorns: bad
King Crab camo pattern: sold separately

good pack

#31 Benjamin Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 367 posts
  • LocationIn my Spider 5D, killing all your Dire Wolves.

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:13 PM

View PostUltra-Laser, on 12 March 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:

Funny you mention that, I listened to the Comstar/Star Leauge/Cameron Star on the soundcould and thought it was positively underwhelming compared to what I hear in game, so there's a chance that these warhorns might not seem so bad once we've had a chance to get a few kills with them in our mechs.

I've noticed that a few times where I thought the horns sounded really weak until I actually used them. The Jade Falcon horn in particular.

#32 Chef Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 908 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:18 PM

View Postrageagainstthedyingofthelight, on 12 March 2015 - 04:31 AM, said:

Does it seem a bit....underwhelming?

https://soundcloud.c.../warhorn-kurita

For comparison:

https://soundcloud.c...horn-rasalhague

https://soundcloud.c...warhorn-steiner

Was hoping for more of a "dragons roar" myself. What do you guys think?

The shamisen riff is good. The melodic flourish at the end is not. Too musical, not "warhorn" enough.

#33 Chef Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 908 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:22 PM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 12 March 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

Steiner's warhorn makes no sense or connection. Kurita's attempts to have classic Japanese traditional instrumental sounds. Rasalhague sounds little better but, on the whole, they all sound underwhelming and limp.

I hate say it but this limpness is on par for many of MWO's sound effects. Throughout the game, there is a disappointing feeling of unimpressive sounds. Most of them sound public domain or student-level. Most of the ACs, lasers, environmentals, reloading and recharging sounds are just bad. Sidestrafe has pointed this out and there has been discussions on it so I know its not just a few malcontents complaining about anything they can. When I show this game to friends they mention how the weapons do not have -any- excitement except for Gauss and armor impacts and a few others.

Back to warhorns, all of them are "meh" in my opinion and part of the general expectation of disappointing sounds from MWO. My 17yo son who is training to be a game designer gets it. You have to have awesomeness and these don't quite get there.

There's some real hidden winners in the game's sound direction - Gauss rifles, PPCs and clan lasers/missile weapons come to mind - but you're right. Most of it is pretty underwhelming. The footstomps in MW4 were meatier than the ones used in MWO, for example, and footstomps play an important role in establishing a sense of scale in a mech game.

#34 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:18 AM

Yes those are good examples. MWO has a few exciting sounds such as the Gauss rifle and the PPC but, in perspective, they are good compared to the rest of MWO's weapons sounds. Compared to other games, or at least what we commonly expect from other games, even these are underwhelming. MW4, for all its faults, did have good sounds for its time. Most notably, there was a High Definition Patch that came out at one point from a third party that upgraded the explosion visuals and the weapon sounds. At the point, the lasers were amazing! They were explosive, chattering, screaming and they thundered with a pronounced echo. They were very satisfying and fun to fire. MWO's lasers sound cheap cliché and limp. I seriously thought they were place holders and not the intended final sound effects. ACs sound like someone banging pots with a rubber mallet. We could look to many current games such as WoT that have realistic sounds that are enhanced. MWO's sounds should sound like large, field piece-sized weaponry. They don't. They should explode from the barrels with screaming power. ACs should sound like battleship guns. Lasers should sound large, blistering, thunderous, hissing, energy weapons. They don't. They sound like hand-held weapons and sound like cheap scifi, canned, student-level paste in sounds.

I realize that MWO is an ever evolving product with major pillars being more important than details but this is a problem that directly impacts basic enjoyment. PGI, please put this high on your list of sub par features to update.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 13 March 2015 - 07:32 AM.

#35 Chef Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 908 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 13 March 2015 - 07:18 AM, said:

Yes those are good examples. MWO has a few exciting sounds such as the Gauss rifle and the PPC but, in perspective, they are good compared to the rest of MWO's weapons sounds. Compared to other games, or at least what we commonly expect from other games, even these are underwhelming. MW4, for all its faults, did have good sounds for its time. Most notably, there was a High Definition Patch that came out at one point from a third party that upgraded the explosion visuals and the weapon sounds. At the point, the lasers were amazing! They were explosive, chattering, screaming and they thundered with a pronounced echo. They were very satisfying and fun to fire. MWO's lasers sound cheap cliché and limp. I seriously thought they were place holders and not the intended final sound effects. ACs sound like someone banging pots with a rubber mallet. We could look to many current games such as WoT that have realistic sounds that are enhanced. MWO's sounds should sound like large, field piece-sized weaponry. They don't. They should explode from the barrels with screaming power. ACs should sound like battleship guns. Lasers should sound large, blistering, thunderous, hissing, energy weapons. They don't. They sound like hand-held weapons and sound like cheap scifi, canned, student-level paste in sounds.

I realize that MWO is an ever evolving product with major pillars being more important than details but this is a problem that directly impacts basic enjoyment. PGI, please put this high on your list of sub par features to update.

Mechanically, I rather like the way most of the weapons in-game are implemented. I think lasers with burn time are a neat idea. I think pulse lasers with shorter burn times are a good way to differentiate them. I think SRMs firing in shotgun clusters are cool. I think AC/s being giant fuckoff cannons is cool.

The little details though, the things that immerse you and remind you that you're supposed to be in a giant robot, are lacking. The sound design needs shaping up, but it's not the only offender. Scale needs to be carefully considered so you don't wonder why the grand canyon has 20-meter wide footpaths and trees that look like twigs aren't 10 meters tall. Add a crunching sound for cars that get smashed underfoot, let me knock over trees, maybe add some smoke and debris particles for buildings that get shot if leaving impact/burn/bullet decals is too difficult to implement at this stage. Something, anything to remind me that I'm in a giant robot and not just a fat man walking through a tiny model city.

#36 Ultra-Laser

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:38 AM

View PostChef Kerensky, on 13 March 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

Mechanically, I rather like the way most of the weapons in-game are implemented. I think lasers with burn time are a neat idea. I think pulse lasers with shorter burn times are a good way to differentiate them. I think SRMs firing in shotgun clusters are cool. I think AC/s being giant fuckoff cannons is cool.

The little details though, the things that immerse you and remind you that you're supposed to be in a giant robot, are lacking. The sound design needs shaping up, but it's not the only offender. Scale needs to be carefully considered so you don't wonder why the grand canyon has 20-meter wide footpaths and trees that look like twigs aren't 10 meters tall. Add a crunching sound for cars that get smashed underfoot, let me knock over trees, maybe add some smoke and debris particles for buildings that get shot if leaving impact/burn/bullet decals is too difficult to implement at this stage. Something, anything to remind me that I'm in a giant robot and not just a fat man walking through a tiny model city.

If you want to talk about immersion breaking details take a look at how large the cockpit appears on your mechs vs when you're in it or how large the latter/grab bar geebles are then take a look at how large a civilian car is vs your foot. I swear we've been fighting in cities meant for hobbits this whole time.

EDIT: I agree with you on the invincible buildings bummer, I'd be happy if they just showed chunks of concrete and glass flying rather then being properly destructible. Trees I'm pretty alright with though, galaxy has plenty of room for weird trees.

Edited by Ultra-Laser, 13 March 2015 - 09:47 AM.

#37 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:46 AM

The only Warhorns I kinda like are Comstar's and Clan Smoke Jaguar's ...honorable mention to Clan Ghost Bear's. Excepted the first one, the main quality of those is that they are extremely short.

#38 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:58 PM

If we changed the warhorn for Kurita at all, I actually wouldn't want a Dragon. Dragon imagery is frequent when talking about the Combine, but the whole totem animal thing is more of a clan gimmick. Likewise, with the FWL having any sort of eagle sound.

On the other hand, something like this for Kurita could be an entertaining warhorn.

#39 Suzumiya Haruhi no Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 413 posts
  • Locationjapan

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:31 PM

kurita war horn

#40 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:11 AM

PGI shame themselves.

They'd need to modernize ancient japan for a modern audience, but fortunately, SNK already did that for them.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 14 March 2015 - 01:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users