[Suggestion] Repair & Rearm Reintegration To Community Warfare

102 replies to this topic

Poll: Reintegrate Repair & Rearm for Community Warfare? (198 member(s) have cast votes)

Reintegrate Repair & Rearm for Community Warfare?

1. Yes (116 votes [58.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 58.59%

2. No (82 votes [41.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:26 PM

Should Repair & Rearm be Reintegrated to Community Warfare?

From my initial experience with Repair & Rearm in Mechwarrior Online, I know it would add real-time depth, strategy, and gameplay, and in this case it would be added to Community Warfare which is quite lengthy and profitable.

One of the downsides of Repair & Rearm within it's initial release, within Closed Beta, was that it needed fine tuning. Since we are now in a Beta segment, now would be the best time for testing.

Please Vote, and Discuss below.

Thank you.

#2 destroika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:36 PM

Yes, something like this feels is currently missing. Some good builds/play styles carry very limited ammo meant for 12 enemies, such as, Narc uses.

#3 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:03 PM

my question is would this also make some players stay away if they have to pay out of pocket(c-bills) seeing as how much some have to grind to make c-bills?

More so because of campers that like to camp at respawn points?

Edited by VinJade, 12 March 2015 - 04:04 PM.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,736 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:58 PM

id make rearm and repair consumable modules (one for each). use either one and a rearm or repair drone is dropped from an aircraft, you are then shut down for about 30 seconds while the work is being done. during this time you are a sitting duck and cannot restart (or perhaps restarting discontinues the work and the drone is discarded leaving you with the current level of completion). not quite canon i dont think but it would be pretty easy to pull off.

repair would be limited to parts still attached to your mech. rearm would be a percentage of your total ammo and would not exceed a 4t cap.

#5 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:10 PM

Will player earnings in CW be inflated to offset this, rewarding taking less damage overall?

#6 cryonic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • 107 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh UK

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:33 AM

I dont think it makes much sense.

As mercs the costs of repair and rearm should be covered by the employment contract - and that bit of the game is out of the scope of MWO.

It would act as another restriction of the use of ammunition based mechs.
Some players would avoid combat or play to avoid damage repair costs- resulting in another advantage that organised teams would have over PUG players.

So no - it leads to bad metaplay.

In Assault games however - it might be interesting to see a Rearm (not repair) option available at the home base.

#7 CyborgDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationRight behind you o.o

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:31 AM

View Postdestroika, on 12 March 2015 - 02:36 PM, said:

Yes, something like this feels is currently missing. Some good builds/play styles carry very limited ammo meant for 12 enemies, such as, Narc uses.

View PostLordNothing, on 12 March 2015 - 07:58 PM, said:

id make rearm and repair consumable modules (one for each). use either one and a rearm or repair drone is dropped from an aircraft, you are then shut down for about 30 seconds while the work is being done. during this time you are a sitting duck and cannot restart (or perhaps restarting discontinues the work and the drone is discarded leaving you with the current level of completion). not quite canon i dont think but it would be pretty easy to pull off.

repair would be limited to parts still attached to your mech. rearm would be a percentage of your total ammo and would not exceed a 4t cap.

I think OP is talking about the old repair and rearm system from way back, in which you had to pay for repairs and stuff AFTER the match. Not a repair/rearm mechanic on the battlefield.

I'd like to see R&R for CW, it'd add a new layer to it, but they may need to boost the C-Bill earnings for CW matches to accommodate for it.

#8 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:32 AM

Have to so NOPE for the obvious approach.
Make RnR operating from your C-Bill pool will turn it into a money sink. If you even think to balance "high tech" equipment vs "low tech" equipment you open the box of Pandora - called P2W. (if i can maintain a TimberWolf with premium plus C-Bill Packages for MCs -but have to swap for a Stock Orion for free)

Although there is the way of compensation - you drive a "cheap" mech you get more income - you win and survive a fight with good damage output in an UrbanMech - you get 500% the money - of won fight in a TimberWolf
(Its not a really good idea - you get payed for giving other guys the excitement of easy kills)

Complex approach - working with unit coffers. For more insight please contact your nearest copy of the "Tactical Handbook"
Digital Copy for 6$:
http://rpg.drivethru...ers=0_500_0_0_0

You drop on a planet -you "choose" the number of "available" money.

Lets say your unit consists of a lance - so you choose to drop with 800,000 Logistic Coffer for this planet.
this is the pool of repair costs and drop costs

you can stay on the planet as long as you have enough c-bills.
The crux is to get the "prices" right - i think the Tactical Handbook does it right.
The reload of a AC 2 cost 1 point - say 2.000 Cbills
the repair of a damaged reactor....well in MWO you can't damage a reactor not really - but you have multiple destroyed "values"
a destroyed standard engine - should be obvious - considering TAC Handbook
Costs are Rating /10 for example 300/10 = 30 Points or 60,000 Cbills
a XL could be damaged if clan Mech (one side torso destroyed) for the Mad Dog = 300/10 = 60,000 C-Bills

If the XL reactor is destroyed - calculation have to be rating/5 but to have sense again to use ISCASE and ISXL.
300/5 (side torso destruction) * 3/12 = 15.000 CBills
300/5 (CT destruction) * 6/12 = 30.000 Cbills
300/5 (CT and side (ammunition)) * 9/12 = 45.000 CBills

other repairs could be taken directly from Tactical Handbook.
So its cheaper to repair a damaged ER-IS-Laser rather than a ER-C-Laser

When the units - Logistic pool is suspended - they have to leave the planet.
The pool does not "rearm" for successfull missions - the Cbills earned by the players went to their account - and for another drop they have to spend the money into the unit coffer - that is not possible during a "deployment phase"

#9 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:55 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 12 March 2015 - 07:58 PM, said:

That isn't what the OP means. He is suggesting that (as MW:O had before), having to pay for repairs and pay to replenish ammo.

Your suggestion would be yet another straw on the Camel's back turning this from the BattleTech universe into another CoD shooter. Battlefield power-ups would make me uninstall and never look back. We already have 3PV and respawns during battles...smh.

#10 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,736 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:10 AM

i actually got the idea from mech commander 2.

also its not a power up its a one time use module. you pretty much have to choose between it and something more effective like an arty strike or a uav. if you look at the alternatives, like a repair bay like in mw4 or MWLL which pretty much allows unlimited repair and rearm its a much better option.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 March 2015 - 11:22 AM.

#11 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:32 PM

Yes those (power-ups) were in the games you mentioned.

They were the worst part of those games.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

as Community Warfare has never had Repair and Rearm, it was removed before MWO open beta, therefore it cannot be reintegrated so I voted no.

If PGI wanted to rebuild R&R and integrate it into CW then I would be fine with that

#13 DaangeroussDann

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:54 PM

View PostVinJade, on 12 March 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

my question is would this also make some players stay away if they have to pay out of pocket(c-bills) seeing as how much some have to grind to make c-bills?

More so because of campers that like to camp at respawn points?

Spawn camping needs to be fixed first,, this is a good idea,, but a horable time IMO,, so many problems, specially the ease of spawn camping. I want that fixed first, I want more maps first. I'd like to never see "UNKNOWN ERROR" when Im trying to load the game . As it is im already leaving for another year or so, because I cannot get a smooth night of gaming MWO, so many crashes and Unknown Failures, while other cry engin games work flawlessly . This game is the buggiest game I try to play. Fix that before adding problems to an already unstable game.

#14 Vegalas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 136 posts
  • LocationAt the screen. On my seat too.

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:42 PM

I voted yes because I think this would be good with salvaging as a viable option in CW. Here's the link to one thread about salvaging ideas. Perhaps the system is in for a change or two?http://mwomercs.com/...8-salvage-idea/

Edited by Vegalas, 17 March 2015 - 02:52 PM.

#15 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:51 PM

I would like to see a form of re-arm and repair for Community Warfare.
However I see it evolving a such:

The drop deck you select is for the conquest of the planet. Not just a single battle.
Once you allocate those mechs to that planet, that's it. It's locked. You can't go back and pick that planet again with another drop deck... rinse and repeat.
At stage 1 where the orbital cannons need to be defended/disabled you nominate a mech to take part in the battle and become part of a wave of either the attack or defence.
You have the option to keep nominating a mech.
Stage 2 is the strategic battle for territory.
Same process. Nominate a mech for operations in that battle.

The re-arm and repair becomes part of stage 2.
Objectives that can be held either as part of the territory battle or as side missions that dynamically unfold provide the side that holds them with the option to repair and re-arm one or more of their mechs.
Specific side mission allows you to bring a mech that was destroyed back into an available state, repaired, rearmed and in your drop deck ready to go.
Areas in the ongoing territorial battle can be held and mechs that shut down in those areas can re-arm functional weapons while on the field. No repairs though.

To enable this further, players need to be able to retreat from a battle.
The ongoing territorial battle has no timer and lasts for the length of the attack window.
This means it can remain an open contest for hot drops which in turn are available based on the holding of strategic locations, side missions and available spots.
It also allows the conquest of a battle to be dictated through attrition.

I realise I've meandered off topic a bit, but the possibilities for what CW could be is exciting.

#16 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:28 AM

I want repair and rearm. But it wont work in CW until the game gets much more depth.

12 mans are still stomping pugs. That leaves 12 solo players with 4 destroyed mechs and a poor match score. i.e. no c-bills.

So yes repair and rearm. Definitely yes. But it needs to be part of a much larger addition of content. Not just added for lols.

#17 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:16 PM

R&R simply doesn't fit with MWO. This is not a single player campaign style game.

#18 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:10 AM

View PostDavers, on 18 March 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

R&R simply doesn't fit with MWO. This is not a single player campaign style game.

NOT having R&R simply does not fit with the entire Battletech universe.

#19 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:14 AM

View PostHotthedd, on 29 March 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

NOT having R&R simply does not fit with the entire Battletech universe.

I would rather have a fun game, then a game where there are mechanics meant to punish new players/bad players and force people to play mechs and builds they don't want to.

#20 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:25 AM

Having R&R does not mean the game cannot be fun.

New players should have no R&R for their cadet period, that is fine.

Bad players, however, SHOULD be "punished", as if bits of code could be considered punishment.

NOBODY would be "forced" to play a mech or build they don't want. If you can afford it, run it! If you can't afford it, save up some spacebucks. (Its the same reason I do not drive a Porche 911 in real life)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users