#1 Rattler85

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 275 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

I have been running this Dire Wolf Prime:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...99d47bfef4bcc9a

I often get one or both arms blown off and was wondering if this would be a better build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...51cc09e124fbf88

Thoughts welcome.

#2 Spare Parts Bin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:56 AM

I have no game experience with the Gauss as I prefer UA/C-5s, however I would suggest using dual ER Large Lasers+2 ER Mediums and 4 ER Small Lasers.

#3 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:06 AM

I find both of your builds interesting, OP. The second one reminds me of the 2xGauss 1xER PPC build I made on my DWF-B way back when.
I currently run my PRIME(I) with the arm-mounted guns, plus a quartet of MGs on the torso. It is not the most fantastic or fabulous build ever, but it works for me. :)

#4 Bows3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 229 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • Location3 time World Champion

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:25 AM

No reason for AMS or a Tcomp that large, replace the large Tcomp with a Tcomp I, and replace the AMS with extra HS.

Personally I'd advise you only run 40 Gauss rounds total, but that's more of a Comp thing. For casual Pugging, 60 should be fine.

#5 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:35 AM

Never played a DireWolf, but if I did, this would probably my build:
Modified your original a little bit.

DWF-PRIME

#6 Skarlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:42 AM

The reason your arms are getting blown off is because the gauss rifles are exploding when the armor gets opened. If you put them in the side torsos, then all that will happen is your *side torsos* will explode when the gauss rifles get crit, including from any shots from behind that just happen to breach armor and blow up the rifle, in addition to getting rid of the arm attached to that side torso. Losing an arm is bad because it drops your firepower, losing a side torso in a clan mech means you are 50% or more closer to death depending on the health of your other side torso.

While you can do 1 gauss in a side torso and shield with the opposite side torso against incoming fire to protect it, doing BOTH side torsos with gauss is going to make you die very, very quickly against opponents paying attention to your weapon load out, especially if they get your back.

I'm not sure how your arms are constantly getting opened up at all because they aren't particularly big on a dire wolf. Either way, I can think of maybe 4 ways to attack this problem.

1. Get Dire Wolf S pods when they come out for cbills (or buy one on sale if you absolutely can't wait), and move the erppcs to the side torsos.

2. Use Dire Wolf B center torso and move one of the ERPPCs there, preferably whichever arm tends to get blown off more.

3. Do an asymmetrical build where you put 1 gauss in 1 side torso, 1 gauss in same side arm, and both ERPPCs in either side torso/arm/center torso, and use your weaponless side as a shield.

Example:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e6bdb85b1e79234

Note that this would be incredibly bad if you lose your one side torso, as you are completely neutered and out of the fight, and that side torso happens to have an exploding gauss rifle in it. If you're not confident you can shield that side effectively, don't run it.

You can also do http://mwo.smurfy-ne...65d7a697ac55481 if you prefer some slightly higher measure of safety.

Edited by Skarlock, 17 April 2015 - 11:51 AM.

#7 MadLibrarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Essay

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:08 PM

DWF side torsos are huge and the Gauss gets crit a lot if located there. In a competitive situation, you'd probably want to go asymmetric with both Gauss on your left side. One gauss in DWF-Prime left Arm with ppcs and one in Torso, then add a DWF-A right arm, so the Gauss and 2 PPCs are on a lower arm actuator.

#8 Rollup

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:27 PM

I've played against this build(2xERPPC+2xGauss) quite often recently, Dongors 1.7kdmg video being perhaps the cause.
CURSE YOU DONGOR!
:angry:

#9 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:45 AM

My 2 gauss 8 MPL direwolf has smashed any 2 gauss 2 ER PPC build so far

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users