Anansi

2 replies to this topic

#1 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:40 PM

This little guy has been the subject of so many "MEH" from these forums. It was on sale this weekend, the only Spider I didn't have mastered, and hero mech was part of the bonus c-bills for pot o gold so I went for it.

I haven't run any spider, since before the stat reset. Dats a long time ago! It is like riding a bike though, so after 3-4 matches, i am back in Spider hate magnet form.

Anyway, i thought I would post some stuff about the mech(6/6 basics so far) as most of the talk is rather old about it, nearly all of it pre quirks.

This is all based on solo play.
Engine: XL255
Endo, DHS as stock initially, Ferro later
Max armor

I tried something very akin to the stock loadout at first. MG, they are bad. Only PGI really knows why they got nerfed, and maybe not even them. Maybe the MG nerf was one of those things where some Janitor was upset about getting killed by the Arrow and changed the numbers and left a fake email to Paul and Russ about it. I dunno, but they are terrible on this mech. 2 MG in general isn't really potent on anything, but on this mech that starves for decimal points of tonnage for a loadout, they have to go.

So, MG got the ax, right off. During my brief attempts at making them work, I had taken the JJ down to 3. NEVER DO THAT. You might as well put one then, you lose all your jump acceleration and it handles like a shadowhawk going upwards then. Crazy troll spiders need to be able to fly around. Once the MG got dumped, (I had half a ton ammo) I put 2 more JJ back on, and added half a ton of SRM ammo.

About that SRM. I stuck with the 4. it can get by without artemis easy enough, it fires faster, and is lighter than a SRM6. You should, under no circumstance, run anything smaller than a SRM4, including no missiles. Skipping the SRM slot will make this mech terribad. No I did not try it to find out, but after mastering 3 spiders and how they play in a fuzzball, you need the SRM to make it punchy. 2 lasers wont do it.

About those lasers. Ihave bad ping, so the shorter the duration the better for me for packet loss. i think shorter is better regardless, but in 90% of my loadouts, I pay tonnage tax on pulse lasers because they are remarkably better for me. So, I put Ferro on, and squeeked in enough tonnage to switch to two MPL.
End result loadout:
Xl255
Ferro
Endo
DHS, 10 in engine
max armor
2x MPL
SRM4 with 1.5 tons ammo
5 JJ
29.9 tons, but no place to use the .1 ton, and no way will I strip any armor on a spider with arm weapons

As for play- this thing absolutely shines on maps with verticle terrain, like Canyon(duh) but terra rtherma(outside mount doom) and the like with sufficient steep cliffs to funnel enemies into does wonders. Do not bum rush the enemy initially. So far, I find it best to hang out by the unambitious pug crowd, and wait for the smarter players to decide we need to move and flank. then, i will still hang out by the camper crowd, in case the enemy finds them before the flank is in position, OR if the flank is moving some place REALLY stupid. Otherwise, I bide my time a bit to cover my team, and then sprint out to catch the flank crew. Spider is flanking mech, because spider creates chaos inherently. Once the flank begins, and you catch someone off guard-

It begins.

Full throttle. Shoot what is in front of you, add dmg to your flank crews targets, distract other targets. take shots at backs as much as possible. NEVER STOP to take shots, because that is when the one guy 900M out with his WHK ERLL boat will stick you in the back(general light advice there, seen it to many times observing) You sprint, jump over things, use the cliffs and high terrain to your advantage. many players have a hell of a time tracking targets in two directions(forward and up for instance) for whatever reson, doubly so if they are all flustered about getting stuck on the same cliff wall you are messing around on. DO not overheat, SRM4 in rapid fire mode will build heat when you are constantly jumping too(and MPL) Default to SRM when in close range if too hot to use all weapons, better to add the spike dmg splats and consume ammo, as you SHOULD be adding dmg to friendly targets at that point as you are too hot to pose enough threat to a new target. they will run or die soon enough, and you will get a few seconds to cool off.

Do not chase, too much. it is ok to lead your flank crew in a pursuit(like if enemy has withdrawn around a corner to cool) as enemy will waste an alpha on you instead of easier to hit slower pals behind you.

basically, you are chaos, you are an acrobat daredevil, you are the trolling HATE magnet. basic Spider stuff(maybe not the ECM one as much)

More than even the 5K(C) this Anansi likes to be in their face to cluster the SRM the most.

Modules of choice(so far):
Cooldown 5 for both SRM4 and MPL
Radar Derp
Target info gather- so you can be dat MPL surgeon

So far, I like this thing, it has netted me well over the match score 30 consistantly, even before all basics. Even at just heat basics, with crappy stock-ish loadout.

i wouldnt buy a hero spider first though, it really helps to know how to handle the Spider chassis before moving into this tonnage starved variant. The 5K(C) is a solid one, and ECM spider can be more forgiving as you work your way into Spider Berserker Mode(SBM) pilot level. DAT 5V? I love it, but that is MASTER LEVEL BERSERKER MODE. You should be well seasoned before you strap into that novelty.

nyway, thats my thoughts. The missile quirks +SRM4 module make the SRM fire fast enough to actually overheat you with ten engine DHS, and is the core scare mechanic of the Berserker loadout. MPL are surgical dmg for ranges outside of eh, 120M or so. Dump the crappy MG, use the tonnage to keep more JJ. Add Ferro so you can upgrade to MPL if you like them more than ML.

#2 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

I'd suggest taking you head armor down to 6 and reducing front CT armor by 1 to make room for 1 more JJ. The only thing that your head armor is protecting you from is arty damage. Lucky shots are lucky shots. As for the CT, 1 point isn't going to make any difference when you die from ST or RT loss most of the time anyways. alternatively you can take out 4 point from the front CT and keep some more head armor if you're worried about arty. I have to keep my Jenner up to 10 points, but that has to do with the ****** head hitboxes more than anything else.

Other than those suggestions, good build and good info!

Edited by Pezzer, 13 March 2015 - 06:07 PM.

#3 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGosport, Hampshire. UK

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:45 PM

I also got the Anansi in the sale for the Lucky Charms event.
Been awhile since I mastered any light chassis, (moving up IS mechs by weight and currently on Atlas), it was a chore to say the least!
Tried all sorts of builds and definitely the 2xMPL/SRM4 combo is the winner.

No matter what build, you'll always have your butt handed to you if you forget the basics.
Do not overheat.
Do not stand still.
Do not forget bacon. ;) (ASK! IT HAPPENS! :o )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users