How To Huginn?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:44 PM

I have no idea how to play fast, unarmored mechs. I have a skirmisher-style play; I like to have heavier weapons but I also need my armor to be able to stare a bit. I have SRMS which allow me to fire and forget so the staring problem's taken care of but how should I change my mentality to better light mech?

#2 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:57 PM

Well basically you need to know when to strike or how to create/recognize opportunities to sneak up on an enemy.

Your best prey is either alone or already under pressure of your team. In both cases the Huginn can take on almost everything bigger than himself.

#3 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:03 PM

I just got one in the sale.
I see a lot of people firing one SRM at a time, is there a reason to do that rather than just shoot off both as a pair?

#4 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:09 PM

View Postjoelmuzz, on 14 March 2015 - 07:03 PM, said:

I just got one in the sale.
I see a lot of people firing one SRM at a time, is there a reason to do that rather than just shoot off both as a pair?

I do this with most of my weapons to not waste ammo in case of a miss; I'll hold my fire for the second one if the first didn't hit.

#5 ExplodedZombie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA, U.S.A.

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:20 AM

View Postk05h3lk1n, on 14 March 2015 - 06:57 PM, said:

Well basically you need to know when to strike or how to create/recognize opportunities to sneak up on an enemy.

Your best prey is either alone or already under pressure of your team. In both cases the Huginn can take on almost everything bigger than himself.

^^ This

+ set your rockets to chain-fire. Circle your enemy, blow off their legs if they are light or medium. CT for the rest. This little monster is crazy.

#6 Havyek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:31 AM

OR

Get yourself the SRM4 cooldown module, and do this but with the SRMs grouped!

#7 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:01 AM

Drop two of the machine guns and add extra SRM4 ammo.

The SRM4 cooldown also helps, it basically turns your missile launchers into a machine gun, the DPS is unreal.

#8 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:25 AM

Pretend that you're a light who forgot to bring weapons at the start of the match and when things get hot and chaotic, it's party time!! Remember to strike from behind and isolate an enemy when possible.

#9 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:54 AM

Find the LRM boats just chilling out in the rear. (look for the string of LRMs in the air) Use terrain to cover your movement so they do not see you coming. Position yourself behind them and let loose. Then assess the battle. The more damage your team did will help determine what you need to do.

One other is as a striker with zipping in and out during a brawl, zip out to cool down a bit and return.

You can circle strafe, but some people are able to get the weapons on you, so do what you can to stay in the rear of your target. Now at the end of the match depending on your armor level, allow your self to take them on from the front to pop the CT's or torsos.

Edited by Barkem Squirrel, 16 March 2015 - 07:06 AM.

#10 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:45 AM

I am extraordinarily new to the game (just over 200 fights so far) and thought I'd drop a little cash to get the Raven Mastery...

I LOVE HUGINN

I probably don't play it properly but I have masses of fun using the speed and JJs to get into position then run around cackling like a loon, fingers pressed firmly on the triggers, spraying machine gun death and SRMS around...bagged myself a Catapult, a Jenner and a third (couldn't see what it was through the smoke, flames and tears of joy) before disappearing in a ball of mech-pieces myself. Don't think I've enjoyed myself so much with my clothes on in years...

Seriously, Huginn is fast, mobile and surprisingly hard hitting, is a great harasser and punishes isolated heavies. Other lights may be able to take you (Firstarters?) but I am currently learning the maps and trying not to be where they are. Hopefully, I will eventually learn how to survive in it as well!

P.S. 4 machine guns "feels" a hell of a lot better than 2x 2 machine guns. That doesn't make much sense but that's how it feels, weird...

Edited by Jimmy DiGriz, 17 March 2015 - 03:47 AM.

#11 Sewman

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:09 AM

My first experiences with the Huginn were probably worse than anyone's. I wrongly tried a play style of peaking, letting off a few missiles and then changing positions. Even with ridiculous DPS, this playstyle ended in a rage quitting death against any laser boat.

I'm still terrible with my Huginn except for a few stellar games. I've figured out that this is an 'end of match' mech unless you're lucky enough to find a lone LRM boat. It's gotta be one of the most efficient 'finishers' in the game. Spend most of the match scouting and hitting 'R' to see which targets have the biggest profiles and slowest turning ratios.

After you start seeing open components in the Target Info, that's when you think about engaging. But I think it's more important for this mech to stay in hiding until the last moment because people will warn others specifically if they see FS9-A's and Huginns.

I tend to avoid lights unless you really have to engage them. It's not because you can't win, but more because I think that ammo is better spent hitting assaults and heavies.

#12 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:04 AM

Huginn is oodles of fun. Its quirked (well that is unless it changes in the March 17 patch) for SRM4 and MGs. I use both. Its a garbage cleaning mech. You can aggressively drive off other lights buzzing the assaults with SRM4s on chain fire. You can also knife mechs in the back with the SRMs and when sections are open, spew 4 MGs at that location and watch it die from crits.

Huginns aren't up front brawlers, and they aren't great knife fighters. They're up-close assassins and light mech thugs.

#13 Corbenik

• The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:07 AM

They way I Huggin is I stay near some same speed mechs or maybe heavies or Assaults and usually harrass whatever they take fire from or If i see a faster mech that can take down my friend i Engage them to take the fire away ,while hitting backside of anything that isnt firing at me. usually i try to use others as distractions while hit enemies unawares. also im usually trying to spot the ones with ripped open armor so i can try to do more damage to them. I run the 4 mgs 2 srm4 withs artemis

#14 Autologus

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:26 AM

You wait until the match becomes a melee and then go hunt the whales, slide in behind them and saw them in half with a stream of SRM's and MG fire. If you see a Jaggermech do not hesitate to belly up to him and saw him in half. The Huginn is great fun and I have no problem ripping off 700+ damage games with it as long as I don't get impatient and try to brawl too early.

#15 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

The Huginn is the master assassin of MWO. Wait till the enemy is weakened and/or disorganized and strike quickly and without mercy. This is the only mech I have run out of ammo on with 2 tons of MG ammo and 4 tons of SRM. It is very fulfilling to watch the kills pile up in a few seconds when engaging a fleeing enemy force.

Huginn is also great for hunting missile boats. Actually had a drop with another Huginn and we crushed the enemy LRM boats and snipers, it was awesome.

Or solo kills vs assaults who can't decide if you are a threat or not and ignore you till it is too late.

#16 Chaos Strike

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:04 AM

I really enjoy my Huggin. Although, I dropped the MGs to put Artemis on for the SRMs.
Been debating switching back. Cutting back on SRM ammo in favor of adding the MGs has not worked so well for me.

Any opinions either way?

#17 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:22 AM

XL 280
2 SRM 4
1-2 jump jets
All the ammo you can carry

Chain fire group 1
Alpha strike group 2

Fight everything 1v1, get in close (hugging distance), blow the legs off of everything unless you get right behind a clueless Dire Whale.

Edited by Dino Might, 21 May 2015 - 08:22 AM.

#18 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:59 AM

you need to do driveby shootings; 1920's tommygun style with those SRM racks.

if you are flanking an assault, you can make a direct run for next cover, and make him eat some srm, then wait a few secs - long enough to be unpredictable and also have cooled off... and do a driveby back to your team

if there are lights involved you should make a driveby route that makes a good, safe looping path back to your team, you have to watch your legs when you do this.

peeking around corners will get you wrecked

i also know that assault mechs are weak to huggin, so play this to your advantage, you can take the slowest targets you find - like a dire wolf or an atlas, but messing with nimble assaults will get you killed i wouldn't charge at a zeus or an awesome 9m

#19 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:27 PM

How do we compare the Huginn to Oxide? Both are great at SRM-4, but Oxide has a higher alpha and a bit less ammo capacity. Better for drive-by shootings because of that higher alpha.

#20 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:38 AM

View PostTylerchu, on 21 May 2015 - 04:27 PM, said:

How do we compare the Huginn to Oxide? Both are great at SRM-4, but Oxide has a higher alpha and a bit less ammo capacity. Better for drive-by shootings because of that higher alpha.

you're right, oxide is more of a hit and run and huggin is more of a brawler with the same weapon.

but still you want to be doing driveby more than brawling at least for the first moments of the game with huggin still

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users