60 replies to this topic

#41 Harvey Batchall Kerensky at Law

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:55 PM

View PostGearBoxClock, on 15 March 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

I would totally show you how good I am but for some strange reason I cannot take screenshots. I'm probably too good for a mere screenshot to capture my skill

I'm actually too good to be restricted by the bounds of human controllers, thus I cannot provide an accurate proof of my powers

#42 SA Baxter

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:15 PM

I am disgusted by the poor.

#43 PerfectDuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 328 posts
  • LocationLenexa, KS

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:43 AM

Hey, Epydemic2020. My unit was pleased to see one of the featured builds having an NS name slapped on it and my video being used as reference. It's true, I did invent that build and several other teammates in my unit have used that Battlemaster to great effect. It's big for a sniper but it ends up being 'the tank' for the sniper group as I tend to move around a lot with it and twist when I'm shot at. It's a hunk of armor unlike the rest of our softer sniper builds.

What I really want to talk about however is your BLR-1G brawler. The thing is, what I do with my drop deck is I switch out the sniper Battlemaster for a brawling Battlemaster so my tonnage still checks out but I only do this when we are going to play on Sulfurous Rift, the hot map where we have found the spaces too confining and the areas too curved, opponents too campy and corners too few for effective sniping on. I had to choose my brawling 85-tonner for knowing that we're going to be playing on a hot map, so all-energy builds were out. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d46d257c6a2a229 This is what I use. The sustained damage is great with the cold ballistics and it still packs a high-alpha laser punch when it needs it, fully utilizing those quirks. Ammo may look low but we push in together aggressively and it honestly doesn't get outlasted by our voracious AC5 dragon pilots by much.

#44 pwnface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:18 AM

View PostEpydemic2020, on 14 March 2015 - 11:22 PM, said:

I was aware some version of the 5SS as a sniper mech should be on this tier, but I have never done it myself so I left it off. I will say though that -if you have the extra tons- I think the "NS sniper" is a bit better.

Hey!

While Duck was the one who started using the BLR-1S build, I was the one who discovered the TDR-5SS 4xERLL build so technically both of them are "NS Snipers".

Edit:

I think you are getting a lot of flak here for using the title "Community Warfare Competitive Tier". Even though you stated these builds/rankings are just your own opinion, the title gives the impression that you are speaking with some kind of authority regarding good builds. It comes off as kind or pretentious rather than really wanting to having a dialogue about what some good builds are and what other people are having success with.

In any case, I applaud you for your efforts in trying to share some builds that you've had success with. I'd like to recommend you post about some of your favorites builds on the house kurita website as well at house-kurita.enjin.com, I'm sure a lot of us would be happy to discuss the different merits or drawbacks of particular builds.

Edited by pwnface, 16 March 2015 - 01:56 AM.

#45 Epydemic2020

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:09 AM

Gearboxclock:

I would totally show you how good I am but for some strange reason I cannot take screenshots. I'm probably too good for a mere screenshot to capture my skill

Epydemic2020:

I found some screenshots, for some reason they saved under admin as opposed to my file.

In many of your defenses, the best of my best games do not include the hunchback 4J.

Here is the most recent game that does:

Posted ImageThis was a Firestarter 9S (7MPL), Firestarter H (6 ML), Hunchback 4J (you know the one) and a Thunderbolt (7MPL).

Keep up little pug. You are getting left behind again.

Edited by Epydemic2020, 16 March 2015 - 05:11 AM.

#46 Epydemic2020

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:15 AM

View PostPerfectDuck, on 16 March 2015 - 12:43 AM, said:

What I really want to talk about however is your BLR-1G brawler. The thing is, what I do with my drop deck is I switch out the sniper Battlemaster for a brawling Battlemaster so my tonnage still checks out but I only do this when we are going to play on Sulfurous Rift, the hot map where we have found the spaces too confining and the areas too curved, opponents too campy and corners too few for effective sniping on. I had to choose my brawling 85-tonner for knowing that we're going to be playing on a hot map, so all-energy builds were out. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d46d257c6a2a229 This is what I use. The sustained damage is great with the cold ballistics and it still packs a high-alpha laser punch when it needs it, fully utilizing those quirks. Ammo may look low but we push in together aggressively and it honestly doesn't get outlasted by our voracious AC5 dragon pilots by much.

Good idea. I get better damage when my assault mechs can run as fast as your build there. Do you all actively avoid the slower assaults?

#47 Epydemic2020

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:31 AM

View Postpwnface, on 16 March 2015 - 01:18 AM, said:

In any case, I applaud you for your efforts in trying to share some builds that you've had success with. I'd like to recommend you post about some of your favorites builds on the house kurita website as well at house-kurita.enjin.com, I'm sure a lot of us would be happy to discuss the different merits or drawbacks of particular builds.

Great idea. I think that would be more useful. We can turn this into a draft #1 of the tier if people have some constructive input.

#48 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:48 AM

View Postpwnface, on 16 March 2015 - 01:18 AM, said:

Hey!

While Duck was the one who started using the BLR-1S build, I was the one who discovered the TDR-5SS 4xERLL build so technically both of them are "NS Snipers".

Edit:

I think you are getting a lot of flak here for using the title "Community Warfare Competitive Tier". Even though you stated these builds/rankings are just your own opinion, the title gives the impression that you are speaking with some kind of authority regarding good builds. It comes off as kind or pretentious rather than really wanting to having a dialogue about what some good builds are and what other people are having success with.

It is a shame then, that others do not share your good attitude pwnface:(

#49 YCSLiesmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:50 AM

it's a shame that eyesore2020 doesn't share good mechs

#50 Murphy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:30 AM

I am not well versed in CW, but I do keep two FS9-S builds around for my dropdecks.

One is the dual AMS, jumping 5 mpulse build that NS favors, or at least, I am following the build pwnface was kind enough to share over TS.

The other is a 7 mpulse grounded 130 kph monster that I like to take to counter IS light rushes - it may not be considered ideal for many, but it seems to work for me.

While I like the idea of trying to share competitive builds, I prefer to take advice from those who have demonstrated repeated success, such as Night's Scorn and NKVA have.

#51 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:24 AM

View PostSamurai Hanse Davion, on 14 March 2015 - 09:56 PM, said:

I Am Disgusted By This List.

#52 ElDuckerino

Rookie

• Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 5 posts
  • LocationItabaiana

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:36 AM

View PostSamurai Hanse Davion, on 14 March 2015 - 09:56 PM, said:

I Am Disgusted By This List.

#53 Ultra-Laser

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:58 AM

Ammo is disposable, empty arms are disposable, therefore all ammo should be stored in the arms. Why do people think this isn't smart?

#54 PerfectDuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 328 posts
  • LocationLenexa, KS

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:24 AM

View PostEpydemic2020, on 16 March 2015 - 05:15 AM, said:

Good idea. I get better damage when my assault mechs can run as fast as your build there. Do you all actively avoid the slower assaults?

Not at all. We in NS have two completely different styles of brawler and we use each to different effect. We have "Everyone bring your fast brawlers" where all of our mechs go in the neighborhood of 80kph, including Dragons, Thunderbolts, this XL Battlemaster, and often other medium-sized drop deck filler builds like wolverines. Sometimes an Atlas or small group of slower assaults is in here, giving support but their movements are much more direct while the faster guys actively patrol around looking for engagements. This wave moves fast and hits hard with a lot of DPS and is great at finishing off the last remaining enemies and cutting time off of the match timer so we can get another game in.

Then we have the slow brawlers, which we call the 'big wave', and the only goal for them is to carry tons of armor and to be completely unstoppable. We move fearlessly and in tight formation, utterly crushing anyone who gets in our way. This wave is especially good to send early on so that we can park our asses inside the enemy base. If we are never overtaken, we can kill the same players who spawn in a certain dropship, reducing the enemy's max team size. The goal we try to get everybody to achieve is 60kph, with the King Crab STD325 Engine (57.9kph) being the slowest we allow. We give our pilots a lot of freedom to make their big assault how they want it, so it's a very diverse wall of pain. We see Banshee-3M dakka, Atlas-S quadSRM6, Atlas-D-DC classic 350, King Crab 000 quad AC5, Brawler Stalkers with SRMs or AC/20 Misery, and some heavier Heavies that are armed to the teeth like CTF and ON1. Mechs like the Orion which are generally shunned for most play styles due to their huge hit boxes and low-slung arms are less of a problem here due to the aggressiveness of the push.

#55 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:46 AM

PerfectDuck, do you guys go for FLD pinpoint on the big wave? Or do you go for sustained pressure? I'm unsure of wether FLD the cack out of their legs or get them to overheat via long contact?

#56 Michael Costanza

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 258 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:53 AM

My Raven 3L has 2 ERLL and 2 LRM5s which is useful for hitting people hiding behind gates, in between buildings or in trenches. I usually get a component destroyed or kill per match. It's also a good way to get the enemy to try moving out of cover.

The thing with the tier list is that mechs fill certain roles. If I know I'll be a sniper, I'd rather bring something that holds 4 ERLL than something smaller like a RVN-2X or 4X. It's not just a matter of damage but the larger mechs like the TDRs and BLRs have more armor and can take more damage during the sniping phase. But if I'm supporting the snipers with ECM coverage, then SDR-5D, RVN-3L, CDA-3M (which has its own energy quirks and safely fits 3 ERLL) is the obvious choice over a 2X or 4X.

There is more to a mech, in terms of CW, than the damage it can deal. A D-DC is great for ECM coverage in an assault wave... and I rarely run into heat issues with it.

Edited by Michael Costanza, 16 March 2015 - 10:56 AM.

#57 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:56 AM

On boreal try running 3ERLL on your Raven, it's actually pretty good and the speed loss from the smaller engine isn't a huge deal if you're smart about staying exposed for as little time as possible, but I wouldn't recommend it on any other map or in solo queue.

#58 Epydemic2020

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:27 AM

View PostUltra-Laser, on 16 March 2015 - 09:58 AM, said:

Ammo is disposable, empty arms are disposable, therefore all ammo should be stored in the arms. Why do people think this isn't smart?

I realize this is trolling, but let me add a few real tips when building for CW.

Ammo stored in the head is usually a good idea. A head has 15 internal structure and it takes 10 damage to cause an ammo explosion. This makes the head the safest part of the body for most mechs to have ammo, a notable exception is the smallest mechs.

A locust should never put ammo in the head or center torso. These are practically the only locations capable of causing an ammo explosion (unless they are quirked with extra internal structure). The side torsos of many small mechs have 10 or less internal structure, which makes an ammo explosion impossible in these locations.

Keeping in mind that you have 15 internal structure on your head, it takes exactly 16 head armor to stop a dual Gauss shot with any mech.

Edited by Epydemic2020, 16 March 2015 - 11:28 AM.

#59 Epydemic2020

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:32 AM

View PostRichter Kerensky, on 16 March 2015 - 10:56 AM, said:

On boreal try running 3ERLL on your Raven, it's actually pretty good and the speed loss from the smaller engine isn't a huge deal if you're smart about staying exposed for as little time as possible, but I wouldn't recommend it on any other map or in solo queue.

I recommend from the OP:
"RVN-2X
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f92ef244d5796ae
You might not have expected this one. This outclasses the Raven 3L sniper build. 10% cooldown, 25% less large laser heat, and -30% beam duration. Since they have (temporarily?) removed ghost heat from 3 Large lasers, Large Pulses, or ER large lasers, this mech is a monster throwing out 27 damage at 500 Meters."

The damage potential is much easier to achieve on the RVN-2X, but it does come at the cost of sacrificing the very valuable ECM.

Take that with a grain of salt, I don't plan on having Ravens in my personal dropdeck at all.

Edited by Epydemic2020, 16 March 2015 - 11:33 AM.

#60 rageagainstthedyingofthelight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 306 posts
  • LocationTerra Therma, shut down

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:27 AM

View PostGearBoxClock, on 15 March 2015 - 05:48 PM, said:

I like how you posted this after he screen-shot a 2700 damage CW drop. Think your forum post ping is to high, you're shooting at targets that already moved.

View PostMadWOPR, on 15 March 2015 - 05:55 PM, said:

I'm actually too good to be restricted by the bounds of human controllers, thus I cannot provide an accurate proof of my powers

See above post

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users