Who's Tall? Who's Fat? Zeus And Grasshopper Size Comparison!

Balance BattleMechs Metagame

152 replies to this topic

#1 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:00 PM

Here are the size comparisons I got after getting the GHR and Zeus pictures from the MWO weekend updates. :)

Zeus is compared with Victor, Awesome, and Gargoyle, while the Grasshopper is compared to Cataphract, Hellbringer (I do not have Summoner), and against Zeus. Bound to be surprises!

Zeus vs. Victor

Both of their hardpoints are similar in height but Zeus is noticeably shorter and slimmer in size than the Victor. Did PGI finally understand that smaller size sells?

Posted Image

Zeus vs. Awesome

Awesome is shorter than Zeus but has lower hard points and is FAT. Zeus wins again.

Posted Image

Zeus vs. Gargoyle

Gargoyle has slimmer legs and torso but is just so tall. Weapon mount wise, Zeus has higher arm mounts while Gargoyle has higher chest mount.

Posted Image

Grasshopper vs. Cataphract

Grasshopper is easily taller than the Phract, with similar shoulder width but slimmer torso and legs. The Hopper also has proportionately higher weapon mounts.

Posted Image

Grasshopper vs. Hellbringer (again, I do not own Summoner)

Similar size story with the Cataphract, but there are some differences. Hellbie arm mounts are lower than that of Grasshopper, but their torsi hardpoints are similar in height. Looking at this, the Grasshopper seems to be making up for its height with high mounted weapons. Give and take, right?

Posted Image

Grasshopper vs. Zeus

Now this makes me scratch my head. The Grasshopper is taller and has broader shoulders than a mech 10 tons heavier than it. Even though the Zeus is shorter, its hardpoints are of same height as that of the Hopper. Clearly something went wrong here.

Posted Image

TLDR: Zeus owners, rejoice for your "65 ton scaled" Assault mech.

Posted Image

TLDR: Grasshopper owners, enjoy your "Assault size" Heavy mech. You know something is wrong when your Heavy mech is as tall as the Gargoyle.

Posted Image

*edit* Because people asked, I compared the two new mechs with the 60 ton over-scaled abonimation known as the Quickdraw.

Grasshopper vs. Quickdraw. Bear in mind QD is also vastly overscaled for a 60 tonner, and Grashopper topped it.

Posted Image

Zeus vs. Quickdraw. LOLOLOLOLOL. Zeus is 20 tons heavier yet smaller in size. PGI, man...

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 15 March 2015 - 06:14 AM.

#2 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:17 PM

The more I look at the scale of the Grasshopper the more my hopes are being suffocated. Seriously PGI, What the hell?

#3 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:23 PM

View PostSigilum Sanctum, on 14 March 2015 - 09:17 PM, said:

The more I look at the scale of the Grasshopper the more my hopes are being suffocated. Seriously PGI, What the hell?

The Grasshopper probably can perform well with those hardpoints. If only JJs were actually good...

#4 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:24 PM

Shadow Hawk. Far, far too tall. Nobody will play one.

...and then everyone did, so much that it is one of the few IS mechs that have almost no quirks on it to make it competitive.

#5 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:28 PM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 14 March 2015 - 09:24 PM, said:

...and then everyone did, so much that it is one of the few IS mechs that have almost no quirks on it to make it competitive.

1. Shadow Hawk is slim at shoulders, while the Hopper is as wide as an Assault.

2. Shawk also have cockpit level torso hard points, while Hopper torso hard points are at solar plexus level.

Don't get me wrong, Grasshopper is still gonna perform, most likely even better than the Phracts thanks to those high mounts, but its scale in relation to the Zeus is just so whacked. Did two different modelers work on them?

Edited by El Bandito, 14 March 2015 - 09:32 PM.

#6 TheMadTypist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 533 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:30 PM

'mechs that are fast (or fast-ish) or/and carry JJ's across all variants tend to be oversized to "compensate", such as the Dragon and Quickdraw.

'mechs that lack JJ's on most variants and/or aren't considered particularly fast tend to be physically smaller, or at least more compact.

The Zeus is small because it has average speed for a light assault, and no JJ equipment, where the victor suffers because it has JJ's and was introduced in an era where 48kph was the starting point for every assault outside the AWS-9M.

The Grasshopper is large because it has average speed with the potential to upgrade to fast (ish) and includes JJ's on all variants.

The Grasshopper's obvious downside is a clear vote of confidence from PGI to the 'mech's effectiveness. The obvious bonuses in both armor quirks and size are a similar indicator in the other direction of how they think the Zeus will be received.

#7 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:32 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 14 March 2015 - 09:23 PM, said:

The Grasshopper probably can perform well with those hardpoints. If only JJs were actually good...

I have no issues with its hard points. I have issue with the fact its a 70 ton heavy that's the size of an assault mech. Its ability to twist damage will mean **** if its the size of bloody Texas. Why on earth was it allowed to be scaled that high?

Edited by Sigilum Sanctum, 14 March 2015 - 09:33 PM.

#8 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:33 PM

IIRC the Gargles is about the same height as the Fatlas...which also puts the Asshopper on-par with Fatlas size. Not as fat, but still...

#9 xVLFBERHxT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 698 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:38 PM

Can someone compare the zeus with a battlemaster? Would attract me...

#10 Greenjulius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Damnit. How did they screw that one up so bad? Shaq-tall hopper? Fix it PGI. I don't care if there is a delay. Fix it.

Edited by Greenjulius, 14 March 2015 - 09:38 PM.

#11 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

View PostTheMadTypist, on 14 March 2015 - 09:30 PM, said:

'mechs that are fast (or fast-ish) or/and carry JJ's across all variants tend to be oversized to "compensate", such as the Dragon and Quickdraw.

'mechs that lack JJ's on most variants and/or aren't considered particularly fast tend to be physically smaller, or at least more compact.

It that a theory you came up with or an official PGI stance?

View PostFupDup, on 14 March 2015 - 09:33 PM, said:

IIRC the Gargles is about the same height as the Fatlas...which also puts the Asshopper on-par with Fatlas size. Not as fat, but still...

Yeah, Does PGI check their modelers' works during the process or just shrug and say "Oh well, what is done is done", after it is presented with flaws? I expected the Hopper to be tall and broad, just not that tall, and broad.

Edited by El Bandito, 14 March 2015 - 09:45 PM.

#12 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:44 PM

Makes me wish my poor Black Knight made it in instead of the 100 ton tall Grasshopper :P

Though if we were being honest, the Black Knight would probably be Atlas sized in height and width...

#13 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:48 PM

View PostWM Quicksilver, on 14 March 2015 - 09:44 PM, said:

Makes me wish my poor Black Knight made it in instead of the 100 ton tall Grasshopper :P

Though if we were being honest, the Black Knight would probably be Atlas sized in height and width...

Yep, I cannot imagine the horror PGI will unleash on that chest.

Posted Image

#14 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 14 March 2015 - 09:48 PM, said:

Yep, I cannot imagine the horror PGI will unleash on that chest.

Posted Image

QUADNIPPLES!

#15 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:50 PM

View PostFupDup, on 14 March 2015 - 09:49 PM, said:

QUADNIPPLES!

This would immediately redeem any bad qualities of the Black Knight.

#16 TheMadTypist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 533 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:53 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 14 March 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

It that a theory you came up with or an official PGI stance?

I'm pretty sure it was just a theory, I recall basing it on statements they made about the dragon, and later the quickdraw, when they were introduced, but it's a pattern that's held true- Dragon, fast, oversized, quickdraw, fast, JJ's, oversized, gargoyle, fast, oversized, catapult, JJ's, oversized, Ice Ferret, fast, large, vindicator, average speed, JJ's, tall, Battlemaster, fast(ish) at time of introduction, large. On the far side, thunderbolt, average speed/limited JJ's, compact, hunchback, average speed, no JJ, compact, stalker, average speed, small (from the front).

I believe the original statement I read was regarding the dragon and had something to do with not wanting a heavy with the fast role to supersede the role of a medium going that same speed, so I believe it's a kind of weight-class based role-warfare feature.

#17 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:05 PM

I was thinking of buying one. Now I am not. It's just mindboggling.

#18 Greenjulius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:07 PM

The most promising mech in the resistance pack, totally destroyed by too-tall status. I can't wait to see it running around at 93kph. It's going to look hilarious.

#19 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:07 PM

Grasshopper is DOA. Zeus might be a Victor without jumpjets what still is bad.

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 14 March 2015 - 09:24 PM, said:

Actually, nobody plays Shadowhawks. SHDs were played because they made up good jumpsnipers. Nowadays however ... seldom see one, and if then the 2K.

Edited by xe N on, 14 March 2015 - 10:09 PM.

#20 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:20 PM

Damn it all. I was really hoping the Grasshopper would be good. It's got the same problem the Trebuchet has. It's just too damn tall. Second you peek over something they'll blast your head which translates into CT damage and all you'll have is an SRM2 to back you up while your stupid low slung arms eat dirt. Anyone else think shots to the head should do less damage to the center torso?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users