63 replies to this topic

#21 K19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 355 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:23 AM

Just a moment! If the license and Battletech there is already information layer over this and has boatloads of books. There's a scene that has not come near there because PGI and not caught in malta and creates a good plot for future use in MW5 or even in MWO say in passing the game has very little history nor the mech has discretion as very odd. And I hope to study the previous games to see their mistakes and not make the same. The above titles are historical projects and there should be because your site and there. New players who have played other titles out of this world can not ask the same experience of these games because not what we want? But move on. :P

#22 anonymous161

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:32 AM

View PostK19, on 15 March 2015 - 08:55 AM, said:

Mechwarrior 5 is dead, the video that was made that would MW5 early was a big lie. The current game in my point of view or close to half the true titles because I played, certainly good for your time this and that and strange. And currently only some mech designs are new and being equal the worst scene that certain thing that could be a bang with existing technology but it is not the sound of weapons the game dynamics and stuff but PGI does not know or want?. But many as I still believe that it is possible but only with our money and they can. Wait and see! Google translator

Considering how they handled the game we have now...I dont think it would have been very good anyways, they are STILL playing with beta balancing, still haven't fixed 3 year old bugs on maps. Besides this company has never released a well received game as far as I remember all of them have been horrible disasters.

#23 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:13 PM

Topps own the rights to BattleTech, but, I believe Microsoft own the right to the video game aspect of BattleTech. So it has to all go through them.

BattleTech is a wargaming and military science fiction franchise launched by FASA Corporation in 1984, acquired by WizKids in 2000, and owned since 2003 by Topp.

Edited by Skylarr, 17 March 2015 - 11:15 PM.

#24 anonymous161

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:21 PM

In conclusion the franchise is on borrowed time, we will never see a well done console version, assault was cool for it's time but imagine if they made it simulator instead of arcade could have been very interesting.

Chromehounds did it great on the console this could have been the same if not better with next gen tech...but nope.

If you dont like what they did to this franchise dont spend a penny on this, I'm done spending money on it myself long ago.

#25 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:50 PM

View PostHawk819, on 15 March 2015 - 09:26 AM, said:

Russ stated in the T.H. Meetings that the FPS version will get released at some point. Just have patience.

Even though I am cutting PGI a lot of slack for the great progress they've made in the past 9 months, I do feel the prospect of a singleplayer MW5 is little more than a pipe dream... an aspiration that would only come to pass should the base game of MWO suddenly become far more successful and cashed up than it currently is or has any reasonable prospect of being.

#26 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:08 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 15 March 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

MechWarrior 4 was rebooted in 2009 by MekTek who rerealesed MW4Mercs with new Mechpaks and started up Online playing. That seriously rekindled the old games. Whereas MW5 we all knew was doomed to end as soon as it began.

Want the full story? Here it is.

MechWarrior 5 original was planned as MW:Prime. That idea was scrapped by Microsoft in about 2004 and it died fast with nothing but supposedly leaked screenshots ever coming out of it. 4 years later Piranha Games Inc and Smith and Tinker teamed up to create a new MechWarrior game as a reboot of the franchise simply titled MechWarrior 5 and set in 3028 or so. This idea was scrapped first because of lack of funding. All funds were withdrawn soon after Alpha began, and then right after that their was a cease and desist along with a Harmony Gold attack because of the Warhammer mech in the cinematic (which that design was stolen from Robotech). That dream died and no word was heard until 2010 when MW:O was announced. Piranha Games Inc bought out the license from Smith and Tinker (which was led by the original creator of Battletech Jordon Weisman). After this Smith and Tinker went bankrupt and now PGI has taken the entire license including publishing rights. MW5 is dead and even to the point where the cinematics were removed from this website including the original script videos. The dream died, and PGI has not said anything about it. In fact they sealed their own doom on that project when they tried to undertake a second project called Transverse which told them: that this community refused to fund or help them in any venture other than this because they SUCKED AT EVERYTHING THEY HAD DONE UP TO THIS POINT.

Not so sure about the last part; in fact, there has consistently been decent support for PGI to make a singleplayer Mechwarrior game. There was even an idea floated that they should turn Transverse into a BT-franchise Aerotech game.

Also, it's not really fair to call the Warhammer stolen. FASA licensed it in good faith from the original creators and paid for the use of the design; but it turned out that they did not pay enough for their lawyers because the license only would have been valid in Japan, and Harmony Gold owned the licensing rights for the design in the US.

#27 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:17 AM

View PostDarth Bane001, on 17 March 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

Besides this company has never released a well received game as far as I remember all of them have been horrible disasters.

MWO is PGI's shining triumph.

I wouldn't characterise MWO as a "disaster". While we all have concerns about it and long for what it could have been, even in its present state MWO does show how F2P can be a commercially viable business model even at the niche level, if it has good IP behind it.

#28 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:07 AM

View PostAppogee, on 18 March 2015 - 12:17 AM, said:

MWO is PGI's shining triumph.

I wouldn't characterise MWO as a "disaster". While we all have concerns about it and long for what it could have been, even in its present state MWO does show how F2P can be a commercially viable business model even at the niche level, if it has good IP behind it.

Agreed... MWO is not bad by any means... It still has a lot of potential to live up to, but I think it will get there. It's just going to take a bit longer than anyone was expecting.

I've seen a lot of positive changes since PGI became the sole custodian. And I have great hopes for this game.

I do agree with other opinions, that a single player game seems unlikely... But, at the same time, they'll have 80% of the resources already developed over the course of MWO.... They just need to make AI, and come up with a story!

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 18 March 2015 - 06:16 AM.

#29 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:27 AM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 18 March 2015 - 06:07 AM, said:

Agreed... MWO is not bad by any means... It still has a lot of potential to live up to, but I think it will get there. It's just going to take a bit longer than anyone was expecting.

I've seen a lot of positive changes since PGI became the sole custodian. And I have great hopes for this game.

I do agree with other opinions, that a single player game seems unlikely... But, at the same time, they'll have 80% of the resources already developed over the course of MWO.... They just need to make AI, and come up with a story!

Based on what I've seen of the player base thus far, I would argue that they already have an AI program, as I see a lot of stupid mistakes happen in game play.... As for the Story, well if they want to do it, and do it right, they should have two different stories that come to a head at the Battle of Tukayyid, one IS that has you start out with a lance, and slowly build into a strong Merc unit, and the other a Clan warrior starting out with their Trial of Position and end with you as a Galaxy Commander. For an end reward for these campaigns, I would let the player keep one mech from those stories, once kind of like an achievement.

#30 K19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 355 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:47 AM

So as you can press the PGI to do what must be done to make the MW5 think, since it seems to afford to do so? Another note MWO has to be "hard core" game, because people in my point of view has to be 60% simulator and the rest 40% or arcade fun brave but that at this point this far. Come on guys let's go for MW5 on the road. :D

A curiosity do you think the sound of this videio?

#31 Mech42Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 917 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:56 AM

View PostJamie Schneider, on 03 February 2015 - 06:05 PM, said:

Honesty time:

Hey guys, I am on the QA team from Piranha. We kinda accidently launched our test lab full of PCs into a public match today (something we definitely shouldn’t do as you can tell). This test lab is meant for internal use only and it won’t happen again.

It was not suicidal hackers looking for attention, it was not someone filming a stunt video, it was us, and we are sorry. :)

#32 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:44 PM

View Postaniviron, on 18 March 2015 - 12:08 AM, said:

Not so sure about the last part; in fact, there has consistently been decent support for PGI to make a singleplayer Mechwarrior game. There was even an idea floated that they should turn Transverse into a BT-franchise Aerotech game.

Also, it's not really fair to call the Warhammer stolen. FASA licensed it in good faith from the original creators and paid for the use of the design; but it turned out that they did not pay enough for their lawyers because the license only would have been valid in Japan, and Harmony Gold owned the licensing rights for the design in the US.

actully no they dident licance it from its owners they licanced it from an inport company that had no leagal standing to licance it out dont bleave me read it all in this board

http://mwomercs.com/...-andor-goliath/

its an accurate telling of what the leagle issues are and in general the unseen problem has convinced me that ether that
a fasa had no leagle department or
b they where always drunk and dident do there job

#33 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:27 PM

View Postkosmos1214, on 18 March 2015 - 06:44 PM, said:

actully no they dident licance it from its owners they licanced it from an inport company that had no leagal standing to licance it out dont bleave me read it all in this board

http://mwomercs.com/...-andor-goliath/

its an accurate telling of what the leagle issues are and in general the unseen problem has convinced me that ether that
a fasa had no leagle department or
b they where always drunk and dident do there job

I guess my point was, they didn't take the designs and intentionally steal them; they paid money to the people who they thought owned the rights to the designs. It turns out that those people didn't own the designs. FASA was incompetent, not evil, being the distinction.

#34 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

The funny thing is, neither does HG own them, due to a ruling in Japan, that saw that Big West / Studio Nu were and are the rightful owners, and HG did not linces them from Big West / Studio Nu....

#35 K19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 355 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:17 AM

About the video there are no answers. :mellow: As I thought that the technique used in video with great sound compares the MWO this very good even though the sound of old weapons that the maximum. PGI has the propellers must be they the macher yourself first. :P

#36 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:10 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 15 March 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

a cease and desist along with a Harmony Gold attack because of the Warhammer mech in the cinematic (which that design was stolen from Robotech).

Minor note here - there was no stealing involved. The design is from Macross and was actually licensed to both Harmony Gold and FASA, (for use in Robotech and Battletech respectively) but due to a difference in how model and image rights are treated in Japan vs. here, they ended up acquiring the rights from two different sources. Since FASA was only interested in getting models to use in their game at the time, they went through TCI which had rights to selling the import model kits - turns out they didn't have the authority to sell the full rights to FASA.

View PostMarack Drock, on 18 March 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

FASA only licensed it after they received problems from Harmony Gold. Also they used the design. Either way it was just them being cheapskates cause they didn't want to design their own mechs.

That's not true. They both licensed it in 1984 and didn't get into legal correspondence with each other until 1985, after which HG never actually took them to court until a decade later when FASA got into a kerfuffle with Playmates over the Exosquad toys. This is the best compiling of the whole situation I've read.

View PostMetus regem, on 18 March 2015 - 08:05 PM, said:

The funny thing is, neither does HG own them, due to a ruling in Japan, that saw that Big West / Studio Nu were and are the rightful owners, and HG did not linces them from Big West / Studio Nu....

Not quite. Big West/Studio Nue have rights to future derivative works based off the franchise but Tatsunoko still has creator's rights to the original designs.

Edited by Dakkaface, 19 March 2015 - 03:11 PM.

#37 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:56 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 20 March 2015 - 10:21 AM, said:

They were always in a kerfuffle. First they had to change the name of BattleDroids to BattleTech cause George had BattleDroid copyrighted.

And then Battle Tech was a big hit, FASA send a "Thank You" letter to Lucas. Later they tried to get the Star Wars License for Tabletop and Roleplaying Games but their game was refused ( and published as Renegade Legion: Interceptor. ). :D
Source: Interview with FASA in Wunderwelten 1st issue (around 1988), a German role playing magazine.

Involved in the Macross / Robotech license mess was also Revell:
http://en.wikipedia....eting_Confusion

Edited by Alreech, 20 March 2015 - 11:05 AM.

#38 K19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 355 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:08 PM

The true Battletech title of the original Mechwarrior and even Battle drons yes Lucasarts did not like. Leaves more information. okay

View PostMarack Drock, on 20 March 2015 - 10:21 AM, said:

They were always in a kerfuffle. First they had to change the name of BattleDroids to BattleTech cause George had BattleDroid copyrighted. Then Harmony Gold, and that has been going on for decades literally. FASA has had issues, I can bet PGI had issues over that Commercial, and I guess I was wrong but still, FASA was still to lazy and cheap to come up with their own designs.

The true Battletech title of the original Mechwarrior and even Battle drons yes Lucasarts did not like. Leaves more information. okay

#39 K19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 355 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:28 AM

View PostMarack Drock, on 20 March 2015 - 12:28 PM, said:

Am I the only one who can barely understand the Google Translator crap? Cause I have barely understood a thing this guys says. From what I have got this guy is ticked at me for... not leaving more information about how this game franchise is only held together by the few hundred of us who are still playing this game (I seriously never see more than 240ish people playing at any one time in CW and in Instant game I see the same names all the time).

This franchise only still exists because of this game. Otherwise there would be the VERY FEW people playing MW:LL which probably would have seen serious issues with money after much longer and would have gone completely under anyway with the Gamespy servers because those are the servers the game was on in the first place. In short MW:LL was doomed to die with or without MW:O, and MW:O may not last much longer at all as there is barely a player base left here, and lastly, there is no other game or rumor of another game around. No, company wants to take over a dead franchise like this now. PGI is a rare exception. And PGI has done so badly up to this point I doubt this game will be able to be funded much longer. For all we know Microsoft might pull the plug cause they won't be making any cash soon.

I don't see this game lasting to long. Unfortunately there is no target audience left in existence for this game. The game industry is completely owned by GTA and FPS games. There is no advertisement left for this game, the player base shrinks monthly, PGI has not given us any reason to trust them after 4 years of lies, and this game still leaves a lot to be desired. Sure it is a TON better than it use to be, but it is in no way a great game yet. It has yet to live up to the name of its predecessors. It has yet to even come close. Its a great game in its own right, but once MechWarrior is slabbed on it as its title it is no great game. Its okay. Not good. The dwindling player base, lack of advertisement, and the lying company is reason enough for me to think this game will die.

PGI has only just started delivering what it promised, and the game shows that. Plus Transverse was enough to show that this playerbase refuses to support PGI. They barely do now, and if PGI screws up anymore then my prediction is this game will drop off the face of the planet. It was good in BETA, but after 4 years there is nothing redeeming to say. When they give us 4 years of content this year I will bow down and kiss Russ's feet. If they continue to be as slow as the Star Citizen team then don't get your hopes on this game surviving, or any MechWarrior game ever coming around.

Yes Google translator does not translate grammar. :D I played the MWLL this with MWs of ideas it was that I noticed. But it will be a shame if this is the depth. Compared to Star Citizen that this far and the graphics engine and the same and that very strange because they should do a cleaning performance 1º but do not want and only now the graphics this but smooth. If new investors appeared there was a big difference not you think? Translation and made from Portuguese to English. ;)

#40 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:52 AM

Do we even need a Mechwarrior 5 ?
During the heydays of the Mechwarrior franchise games were different than today.
Games were sold on CDs or DVD, and get only one or two expansions and a few patches.
Singleplayer was more important than multiplayer, and two or three years after the release of a game it's successor hit the shelf.

Nowadays games are sold as download, patches an new content can be delivered on regular basis and multiplayer is more important than singleplayer.

Principally it would be possible to sell a single player campaign for MWO. It would need a lot of additional work (voice acting, cut scenes, new maps, AI for enemies) but could use otherwise MWO assets (Mechs, Mechlab, Buildings,...).
Heck, such a single player campaign could be also sell as a X-Box One game.
But on the other hand: producing a X-Box game for Microsoft with MWO assets would be a nice second income for PGI.

An alternative could be to give the community the tools to create own singleplayer missions and campaigns.This would need a rework of the Crysis SDK to work with MWO and a strong community to create content.
But even with a strong community making a mod with voice acting and cutscenes will take a long time. The Wing Commander Saga for example was years in development until it was released.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users