- - - - -

So With The Catapult

137 replies to this topic

#1 Moat Drifter

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationBoardwalk, Capellan Cofederation.

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:55 PM

I decided that the Mad Dog was not for me after all, not with some of the variants of weapons I wanted to equip it with, so I decided on the Catapult CPLT-C1 (because I like jumping, especially in that horrid Viridian Bog map - am I right????) but as far as weapons are concerned, I am not sure what is the best to equip it with.
Since I am somewhat of a long-range and medium-range fighter, I have the two LRM 15 (sadly does not with Artemis :-( ) but for the other weapons, I am not sure if pulse lasers work best or if should go with the normal lasers (medium and or large)... I would normally put on an AMS system, but since it takes up too much slots and therefore limits the number of weapons or equipment I can put on, I tend to leave it off.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good CPLT-C1 build (load-out)?

Much appreciated,
Moat D.

#2 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:13 PM

C1 - 4x MLs, 2x LRM15s, 2x JJs, near max armor, XL300, the rest ammo and DHS. It's a beast.

#3 Moat Drifter

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:18 PM

XL engine really? I had not really given that much thought, but thatnks for the input, I might try it out after I get the weapons systems sorted to my liking. So far, I have much what you said on Relena (my Catapult), 4x Med lasers, 2x LRM 15s and 2 jump jets (although I am debating if I should bother putting in a Command Console as well or just leave it to free up space for heat sinks or extra armour.

#4 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:23 PM

View PostMoat Drifter, on 17 March 2015 - 02:18 PM, said:

XL engine really? I had not really given that much thought, but thatnks for the input, I might try it out after I get the weapons systems sorted to my liking. So far, I have much what you said on Relena (my Catapult), 4x Med lasers, 2x LRM 15s and 2 jump jets (although I am debating if I should bother putting in a Command Console as well or just leave it to free up space for heat sinks or extra armour.

Don't bother with a Command Console for the Catapult, there is other equipment that provide more, such as armor, ammo and heat sinks.

And with it being XL friendly, the main reason being how large the CT hitbox is:

Posted Image

More can be found here:

#5 YCSLiesmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:28 PM

Sell your catapult, LRMs are awful.

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 17 March 2015 - 02:13 PM, said:

C1 - 4x MLs, 2x LRM15s, 2x JJs, near max armor, XL300, the rest ammo and DHS. It's a beast.

it's actually a joke that will get chewed up by any light. even the trial raven and that's the worst light i've ever played in.

#6 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:35 PM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 17 March 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

Sell your catapult, LRMs are awful.

it's actually a joke that will get chewed up by any light. even the trial raven and that's the worst light i've ever played in.

Lol. I've been running this since CB and it has yet to fail me. It does just fine againt lights 1v1, and anything more than that you typically only encounter if your positioning was bad or your team was entirely wiped out.

CPLT-C1 or something very like it can work wonders.

View PostMoat Drifter, on 17 March 2015 - 02:18 PM, said:

XLs on Catapults work pretty nicely. The side torsos are very small, and the things twist well. Boosting the speed and payload are well worth the tradeoff in this case.

Command Consoles are rarely worth it. I think I run them in one or two builds only, and only because I don't have any other thing I can put in that would fill up the tonnage for the critical slots available.

Edited by Levi Porphyrogenitus, 17 March 2015 - 02:35 PM.

#7 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:40 PM

If you're getting chewed up by lights try sticking with your team.

4 ML and 2 LRM 15s with an XL300 works quite well for me, you could put a tag laser on, but the catapult's CT size means it's better to stay out of enemy LOS.

#8 Moat Drifter

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:29 PM

Thanks all, for your recommendations and advice, soon as the patch finishes installing (it seems to take longer and longer with each new patch released), I will try out a configuration like in the link you posted for me, Levi Porphyrogenitus, I will try that for a few days, if I can spare to part with the money for an XL engine (although I do see the benefit in owning one).

Praetor Knight, if I can ask, what other type of equipment do you mean, when you say the Command Console is not worth using? Do you mean ECM and/or BAP? BAP is easy enough to fit on practically any chassis but ECM is a tough one, so if I ever plan on buying an ECM 'Mech, I will have to check each chassis type carefully (probably go for a Light or Medium with though).

#9 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:48 PM

View PostMoat Drifter, on 17 March 2015 - 06:29 PM, said:

Thanks all, for your recommendations and advice, soon as the patch finishes installing (it seems to take longer and longer with each new patch released), I will try out a configuration like in the link you posted for me, Levi Porphyrogenitus, I will try that for a few days, if I can spare to part with the money for an XL engine (although I do see the benefit in owning one).

Praetor Knight, if I can ask, what other type of equipment do you mean, when you say the Command Console is not worth using? Do you mean ECM and/or BAP? BAP is easy enough to fit on practically any chassis but ECM is a tough one, so if I ever plan on buying an ECM 'Mech, I will have to check each chassis type carefully (probably go for a Light or Medium with though).

The XL300 is one of the most common and versatile engines available. Lights, Mediums, Heavies, and Assaults of all kinds can make good use of it. It's a worthwhile purchase generally, even aside from the potency it offers to Catapults.

#10 Moat Drifter

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:53 PM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 17 March 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

The XL300 is one of the most common and versatile engines available. Lights, Mediums, Heavies, and Assaults of all kinds can make good use of it. It's a worthwhile purchase generally, even aside from the potency it offers to Catapults.

Hey, compared to the Standard, the XL300 is a good bonus and although it can be critted far more easily than a standard engine can (given the space it takes up), I suppose it more than is worthwhile when you can use it a lot better for a lot more optimal firing (and kill) shots. I will give it a try, nothing to loss, quineg? ^^

#11 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:13 PM

View PostMoat Drifter, on 17 March 2015 - 06:29 PM, said:

For example, in the context of running an LRMer, the boosts that BAP provides are better than the Command Console, since BAP can counter an ECM in range.

Another thing is that with how LRMs are designed they are generally ammo inefficient, where it is easier to waste missiles during a match, so if you have the crits slots available, three tons of ammo is better to carry than one Command Console when compared against each other.

The same when comparing armor; three tons of armor will provide more through a match for a mech relying on LRMs than the Command Console would.

Those sorts of comparisons is what I meant in relation to your Catapult.

And to provide an example where the Command Console can aid a Heavy or Assault mech, is a mech that is trying to maximize max zoom range and wants to get the Paper Doll update as quickly as possible but has limits with Modules.

There are benefits from the Command Console if the build has spare tonnage with limited crit slots such as on an ER LL Stalker.
Since Stalkers have fewer Modules Slots on average, they can see gains with using the Command Console on such a build and be able to carry Radar Deprivation and/or Seismic Sensor instead of using Target Info Gathering and see fast Paper Doll updates with a mix of carrying BAP and/or Command Console.

#12 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:21 PM

ok.. C1, one of my favorite mechs.....

Dual LRM 15's, with cool down module,

3 MPL's, with range..

Tag..

XL-280...

very fun mech!

#13 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:05 AM

It amazes me that there are so many people who are attached to LRMs. Don't LRM. They are a bad weapon.

#14 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:16 AM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 18 March 2015 - 06:05 AM, said:

It amazes me that there are so many people who are attached to LRMs. Don't LRM. They are a bad weapon.

Yes, they're a bad weapon, but some people actually enjoy them. Let them have their fun - the weapon is in the game for a good reason.

#15 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:48 AM

LRMs are less effective at there max range than Autocannons, Lasers or SRMs that much is true, however they can be quite effective if used at 200-500m and you use them as a direct fire or skirmishing weapon, however they are nearly useless at 800+ meters, especially if the enemy team has AMS, ECM and cover.

interesting side note, about a year ago LRMs were far worse than they are now, to make them usable PGI increased LRM speed by about 50 meters per second, after the increase they were considered so massively overpowered that within a week PGI promised they would scale their speed back so speed was reduced by about 20 meters per second was the difference between overpowered and underpowered, and about 30 meters per second between a bit underpowered and unusably underpowered

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 18 March 2015 - 07:05 AM.

#16 Michal R

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 428 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:56 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 17 March 2015 - 09:21 PM, said:

3 MPL's, with range..

Tag..

XL-280...

very fun mech!

XL 300, LRM 15 + modules, 3x ML, 1xTAG, BAP, Sensor Range Module.

Have fun :)

#17 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:01 AM

"lrms are bad and you should feel bad"

seriously guys? let the guy pilot what he wants. its no skin off your back.

anyhow, i used to run the Cat a lot. its very XL friendly, and with the refire quirks its LRM-15's are pretty nasty.

You should definitely pick up Artemis. also, try and pick up a BAP as it will counter ECM. i prefer bringing my own TAG as well.

CPLT-C1 it pretty solid. fast enough to keep up, a couple jets for mobility. BAP Artemis and TAG to maximize your LRM use.

as you may have learned, dont just sit in the back and LRM. try and stay with the main push but out of the way of direct fire mechs. if you fall behind you're meat for a light or fast medium, or just a hard flank by anything clan really.

#18 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:05 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 17 March 2015 - 09:21 PM, said:

3 MPL's, with range..

Tag..

XL-280...

very fun mech!

I run a similar build on my C1

#19 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:09 AM

LRMs are the most challenging weapon in the game. Dual gauss got dull fast, ERLL spam got old.

At some point you've got to take the training wheels off and prove to yourself you have skill in the game by beating your opponents with "bad" mechs and weapons. Otherwise, it's like buying a game and never getting past the tutorial.

#20 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:01 AM

View PostVoivode, on 18 March 2015 - 07:09 AM, said:

LRMs are the most challenging weapon in the game. Dual gauss got dull fast, ERLL spam got old.

At some point you've got to take the training wheels off and prove to yourself you have skill in the game by beating your opponents with "bad" mechs and weapons. Otherwise, it's like buying a game and never getting past the tutorial.

lmao this is the worst idea. LRMs aren't bad weapons because they require skill, they are bad weapons because they deal poor, untargeted damage, exclusively to bad players.

LRMs provide no challenge, they are fire and forget weapons. The reason tehy suck is the low skill ceiling: you get good with lrms, holding locks and everything, and you've come as far as you can go with that weapon. there's no more worlds to conquer. Your 500 damage per match is as good as you are going to get, ever, for as long as you insist on using garbage weapons.

meanwhile actual direct fire weapons require you to hit moving targets in specific places on the run while exposing yourself to enemy fire. You have to manage your armor, aim, make good use of cover, flank enemies, etc.

choosing to [limit] yourself doesn't mean you're a [redacted] who is taking on the True Challenge. it means you're a [surat] who can't pull your own weight.

as for why I am not just letting people play as they like: this is the newbie forum. Some guy with a three day old account is gonna come in here and read you all talking about how your lrm 60 crab with four machine guns or whatever is a really great mech. it's harmful to new players to say dumb things, and its worse when those dumb things go unchallenged. someone has to set him straight.

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 25 March 2015 - 03:21 PM.
Language

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users