Mech Scaling And Unique Weapon Geometry - Poll

45 replies to this topic

Poll: Should PGI Revisit Mech Scaling and Geometry? (404 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your stance on scaling and geometry

1. Do a full texture / animation pass. Revisit Mech scaling, weapon geometry, and animations (292 votes [72.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.28%

2. Mech scaling and animations are fine revisit weapon geometry (45 votes [11.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.14%

3. Weapon geometry is fine revisit Mech scaling and animations (48 votes [11.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.88%

4. Voted Content with current content. Put efforts towards new features. (19 votes [4.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:45 AM

If I recall correctly there was another topic about this and one of the devs gave some reason behind it and another few posters called him out on it after they did some research on it themselves.
cannot remember what was actually said but it was covered and the Dev said nope not going to happen.

#22 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:51 PM

I agree with the discussion as far as the Catapult goes... I can certainly sympathise. When I tried to mount an LRM20 on my Hellbringer, it effectively doubled the size of my left torso, and became a bullet sponge... Always the first part lost.

To be fair, I like the aesthetics of the 3 lrm5s slapped on the 'pult... You can always see what's coming at a glance. So there' s definitely rationale behind it... It just negatively effects gameplay on that mech.

But, I think the OP is really convoluted... The poll and its options aren't clear, have to do a lot of reading, and click on several links to understand exactly what it's about... If you want to get the support this deserves, it really needs to be cleaned up ^^; Just trying to be helpful.

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 18 March 2015 - 12:53 PM.

#23 Lulz Kev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

I thought it was pretty straight forward. I edited a quick explanation into the first post.

#24 Robomomo2000

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 138 posts
  • LocationInvader class warship

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:06 PM

Has any one else noticed the Jagermech's stubby ac5s & 2s since yesterday? Things like that make me mad.

-"if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

#25 Dr Stompenheimer

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 11 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:49 AM

Why was any of this messed with in the first place? Look to the left and right of this post, what do you see? What I see is how cool the Jager looks with its original concept barrels. I also see how good the Raven looks with its iconic laser tubes.

There's no reason to try to make every weapon look exactly the same on every mech. Even in the lore, many of them were from different manufacturers, and chances are some are a better fit for different chassis. I know the idea of this change is so you can identify loadout, but by the time you're in that close of visual range, your target readout should tell you everything you need to know. Also, lasers are color-coded, you can guess a LRM loadout by the size of the "swarm" headed your way, you can guess ballistics by firing interval.

The Cataphract is the one mech I'm glad they did something with. It always looked like you had a UAC5 in the hand, regardless of loadout.

Edited by Dr Stompenheimer, 19 March 2015 - 01:49 AM.

#26 Lulz Kev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:30 PM

View PostDr Stompenheimer, on 19 March 2015 - 01:49 AM, said:

Why was any of this messed with in the first place? Look to the left and right of this post, what do you see? What I see is how cool the Jager looks with its original concept barrels. I also see how good the Raven looks with its iconic laser tubes.

There's no reason to try to make every weapon look exactly the same on every mech. Even in the lore, many of them were from different manufacturers, and chances are some are a better fit for different chassis. I know the idea of this change is so you can identify loadout, but by the time you're in that close of visual range, your target readout should tell you everything you need to know. Also, lasers are color-coded, you can guess a LRM loadout by the size of the "swarm" headed your way, you can guess ballistics by firing interval.

The Cataphract is the one mech I'm glad they did something with. It always looked like you had a UAC5 in the hand, regardless of loadout.

Very good post. I was never a fan of the weapon changes, but I always understood why they were changing them. To easier identify the load out. But like you said, it's already easy enough to see what a Mech is using depending on laser colors / size of missile swarm. The whole target readout and being in close range makes sense too.

Now that I've seen the reasoning put in writing I'm starting to question why it was even done. It doesn't add any depth to gameplay, it doesn't really help me in out in battles because in the amount of time I'd have to spend trying to figure out how big a barrel is I've already seen laser colors, missile swarm sizes, and my readout should have populated. It really has done nothing but degrade gameplay aesthetically and its a pretty much worthless feature if not a complete waste of man hours and resources.

I hope I'm not coming off as rude, but after reading your post I can't come up with a single positive thing form the changes.

Mind blown.

I was going to purchase the Jager Hero during the sale. I opted to wait until after the "mechlab treatment" I'm glad I did because I will NOT be buying it now. I already have a YLW I'm unhappy about, I can't pay real money for something I won't be happy with. It's a shame that you have to lose sales over something like this.

Edited by DTF Kev, 19 March 2015 - 03:47 PM.

#27 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:34 PM

View PostMATRAKA14, on 17 March 2015 - 04:34 PM, said:

This one is good too. (closed for some reason ¬¬)

http://mwomercs.com/...me-models-back/

also:

-snipped very amazing pictures-

Let's stop this:
Posted Image

#28 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:04 PM

Push. Because it needs to happen :(

#29 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:20 PM

The whole sizing and in some case flat out redesign of the mechs. Victor, Awesome, BattleMaster.to look more like the TRO designs.The quality has gone down hill since the Victor, to start with there was alot of flim flam about volume and weight, but now rebuilds or resetting the rationalised weapons is ignored.

The mechs are rushed out the door and are starting to look, either size weapon bay or design bad.

Nothing of course will be done as they can't get the camo ready for the first two mechs in each new pack, but I think of this thread as a chance to tell PGI, how poor their work is becomming.

Though I do notice that the Stalker hasn't had its weapons bays screwed around with, and that has always been a very undersized mech for a 85 tonner, and mechs created after it have been buggered around with. I guess its a favorite of the art department ;)

Edited by Cathy, 21 March 2015 - 04:22 PM.

#30 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:44 PM

To those who vote to fix everything: as I laid down the vote, I have to remind people, fixing existing units will show down production of future mechs(one day Bander, one day...) as well as features such as a more in depth CW, other combat/solaris types, and may cause existing content to be "fixed" in new ways we, the community that may or may not pay a cent, may not be satisfied with.I'd say at this point the best thing to do with mech geo and scale is to take the older mechs and set them back to pre standardization, and reset to the original builds with a trial/test server period for those mechs to be effected. As for scale and geo on new mechs in the future, that would be the time to load up test servers again, at least one month before they are injected. Barring systems and schedule issue, and real life, but that should be accounted for in the schedules anyway.

#31 The Black Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:07 PM

the Timber Wolf already has missile pods that scale depending on the size of the launcher, so we know this is possible. It's about time the Catapult gets the same treatment. This guy has great ideas. Please listen PGI

#32 S204STi

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:12 PM

View PostFrosty Brand, on 24 March 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

To those who vote to fix everything: as I laid down the vote, I have to remind people, fixing existing units will show down production of future mechs(one day Bander, one day...) as well as features such as a more in depth CW, other combat/solaris types, and may cause existing content to be "fixed" in new ways we, the community that may or may not pay a cent, may not be satisfied with.I'd say at this point the best thing to do with mech geo and scale is to take the older mechs and set them back to pre standardization, and reset to the original builds with a trial/test server period for those mechs to be effected. As for scale and geo on new mechs in the future, that would be the time to load up test servers again, at least one month before they are injected. Barring systems and schedule issue, and real life, but that should be accounted for in the schedules anyway.

Honestly, adding flair to flaws leaves you with pretty looking flaws.

#33 Velo

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:16 PM

Gotta agree. This would be amazing to see. The game already does so much for immersion and it's amazing! If all mech could get the attention newer mechs get I would be over-joyed.

#34 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:51 AM

Has anyone brought up the additional launchers on the catapult yet? :P Those need to go.

I'm all for the dynamic weapons, and some standardization of the appearances, but not at the cost of mech aesthetics. Jagermechs should have their long guns, Centurions deserve beefy arms, Catapults should be able to fit all of their launchers into the ears (perhaps with a limit on total tube count). It makes me sad to see weapons that are just slapped on (like the third AC on a King Crab).

It also leaves me torn about my beloved Cicadas. I really want to see all 6 beams from my CDA-2A, and have a rotating UAC/5 on the CDA-3M, but I don't want them to end up just tacked on.

Scaling would be nice, but it's less of an issue for me. It would help some mechs out, and could nerf others, but I don't place as much priority on it.

#35 Senor Cataclysmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:13 AM

I've voted for everything. Scaling is my biggest beef personally. I totally sympathise with Cat pilots over the VCR ears, but the fact that the mech is nearly as big as an Atlas bothers me more.

Theres so many scaling issues. The huge bloated kit fox, the centurion, the grasshopper, it goes on. I know Battletech scales have always been a bit flaky (I have one book that says a Timberwolf is 10 metres tall & another that says it's 12) so I'd like to see PGI take one scale and stick to it, using common sense to make calls where there's no canon height to go by.

Next biggie is animation for me. This one's mostly personal 'cause some of my favourite mechs have the worst walking animations in game. We've all seen the video of the Direwolf prancing, but have you noticed that it (along with the crab & stalker) takes tiny shuffling baby steps. They all look like theyre about to fall over. The animations should be smooth and fluid with my longer strides. The Timberwolf & mad dog have similar problems in that they look like theyre dragging their feet. They need a more bird-like walk, like the catapult. Finally, the adder & kit fox don't have any articulation on their ankles :( such an immersion killer for me.

The weapon geometry is the lowest priority for me, but something I wouldnt mind seeing.

#36 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:18 AM

An interim solution that doesn't require an art pass, would be to double the diameters of all Large Lasers, PPCs, Autocannon, and Gauss Rifles, and allow Missile hardpoints to overlap.

#37 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:13 AM

I don't think that there should be too much scaling on Mechs, but I support this idea.

#38 531st

• Pip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSpess

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:19 AM

I dont mind mechs being weirdly scaled/animated. I'd say that weapon geometry should be absolutely reworked. Mech scaling would've been nice but definitely not the most urgent thing that should bother devs :P

#39 Nailem

• Pip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:28 AM

Two things.

#1: Can you please return the Jagermechs Weapons back to full size and even add a little to the length of the AC/20 and AC/10?

#2: Will you please make a Dire Wolf with two missile bays in the right torso?

Edited by Nailem, 01 May 2015 - 04:29 AM.

#40 MATRAKA14

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 443 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:16 PM

No hope.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users