So I Have 16.5 Mil. What Clan Mech To Get?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:01 PM

See title. I am in a severe state of indecision right now. :P

These are the following mechs that I am considering:

-Mad Dog: I've always been a fan of the Mad Dog, so this one would be more of a "nostalgic" choice I suppose. I know they have some decent builds, but the huge side torsos make me hesitant.

-Hellbringer: I guess from a meta standpoint, this should be the obvious choice, but I mostly prefer the odd-ball "bad" mechs over the meta ones (mostly because the meta ones tend to become boring to me in the pug que once they are leveled up, the less optimized mechs at least keep things interesting).
I am mainly interested in the Hellbringer for CW matches, but I do not play CW very often, so meh.. I also have the Shadow Cat package pre-ordered, and I might upgrade to the Ebon Jaguar package in several months, so in the long run, I'm not sure the Hellbringer would be worth it.

-Gargoyle: I've been poking around in the trial Gargoyle, and have honestly been having quite a bit of fun. I know the mech is terrible, but I suppose that is why it interests me for some backwards reason. I might wait on this one till the quirks are improved, though(if that ever happens).

Alternatively, I could buy another variant of one of my mechs that still need their elites (Ice Ferret, Summoner, and Warhawk). I think I'd rather get something new for more CW drop combinations though.

I have no desire to buy a Myst Lynx, Timber Wolf, or Dire Wolf at the moment (Timber Wolf D is the only variant I care about heh).

Forums help pls

#2 Havyek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:52 PM

DO. NOT. GET. GARGOYLE!!!

Unless you enjoy spending a lot of c-bills on mediocrity.

I'd go with the Hellbringer personally. ECM is extremely useful whether in public queue or CW.

#3 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:52 PM

Hellbringer isn't a meta mech. it's just one of the top dogs for ECM carrier for the team.

it's more the fact that... hellbringer with ECM isn't Meta.
Timberwolf with ECM cover is however.

Anyway, I would be trying to be legitiment with you and try to help ya with this question.

but instead I'm going for answer E...

Instead of 'all the above" that E is normally associated with. I mean "none of the above". as an the word clan is already your first problem...

With these constant bombardments of nerfs and such. You would be struggling to even kill a legged urbanmech in a timberwolf in maybe a few months...

#4 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:59 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 17 March 2015 - 08:52 PM, said:

Hellbringer isn't a meta mech. it's just one of the top dogs for ECM carrier for the team.

it's more the fact that... hellbringer with ECM isn't Meta.
Timberwolf with ECM cover is however.

Anyway, I would be trying to be legitiment with you and try to help ya with this question.

but instead I'm going for answer E...

Instead of 'all the above" that E is normally associated with. I mean "none of the above". as an the word clan is already your first problem...

With these constant bombardments of nerfs and such. You would be struggling to even kill a legged urbanmech in a timberwolf in maybe a few months...

Dunno what this guy is saying. Must be drunk from St. Patty's. Get the Hellbringer.

Edited by Havyek, 17 March 2015 - 09:00 PM.

#5 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:02 PM

What nerfs? Do you have problems in killing spheroids?

#6 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:02 PM

I know the Hellbringer is top tier, I guess meta was the wrong word to use.
But it's considered to be one of the better clan mechs, is it not? I just like running underdog mechs, and I wouldn't consider the Hellbringer to be an underdog in any way.

But I'll probably go with the Hellbringer anyway. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Mad Dog?
Thanks for the responses so far by the way!

EDIT: Decided I will go with the Hellbringer. See you all on the battlefield.

Edited by armyunit, 17 March 2015 - 09:32 PM.

#7 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:13 AM

View PostHavyek, on 17 March 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

Dunno what this guy is saying. Must be drunk from St. Patty's. Get the Hellbringer.

Come again?

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 17 March 2015 - 09:02 PM, said:

What nerfs? Do you have problems in killing spheroids?

The fact that there will be large penalties for when the ST of a clan mech is destroyed?

On top of that the pathetic quirks for the T5 mechs that came out shows that T3, T2, and T1 mathmatically speaking are getting only quirks in the negatives...

Also the nerfs over time from day one

(increase of energy heat.
hardwiring jumpjets
Reduced abilities from ST destruction
Reduced min range ability of C LRM's
Increase SSRM reload
Increase in SRM spread.

Etc...)

View Postarmyunit, on 17 March 2015 - 09:02 PM, said:

I know the Hellbringer is top tier, I guess meta was the wrong word to use.
But it's considered to be one of the better clan mechs, is it not? I just like running underdog mechs, and I wouldn't consider the Hellbringer to be an underdog in any way.

But I'll probably go with the Hellbringer anyway. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Mad Dog?
Thanks for the responses so far by the way!

It isn't top tier. maybe T2 with ECM. but without it it's a solid T3-4.
Besides ECM it has no advantage over either stormcrow or timberwolf besides heat er large laser (over the timberwolf)... but timby can do a CT one...

#8 Flu-Epidemic

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 63 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:38 AM

I know the Hellbringer is top tier, I guess meta was the wrong word to use. But it's considered to be one of the better clan mechs, is it not? I just like running underdog mechs, and I wouldn't consider the Hellbringer to be an underdog in any way. But I'll probably go with the Hellbringer anyway. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Mad Dog? Thanks for the responses so far by the way! EDIT: Decided I will go with the Hellbringer. See you all on the battlefield.

Actually, if you like underdog, u should've gotten the Nova! I love my Nova B!!

#9 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:43 AM

Gargoyle is really fun in Pug queue. Ignore the leetzor meta/tier circle jerk. Gargoyle can get really interesting builds and can be a great flanker IF you are well timed enough to not get noticed... you can blast through a few Assault/Heavy rear torsos and have the tank-ness to finish off the rest... been a PUG game winner for me a few time

NB: at first I hated it wanted it to butn in hellfire... now it's fun

#10 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:21 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 18 March 2015 - 12:13 AM, said:

The fact that there will be large penalties for when the ST of a clan mech is destroyed?

On top of that the pathetic quirks for the T5 mechs that came out shows that T3, T2, and T1 mathmatically speaking are getting only quirks in the negatives...

Also the nerfs over time from day one

(increase of energy heat.
hardwiring jumpjets
Reduced abilities from ST destruction
Reduced min range ability of C LRM's
Increase SSRM reload
Increase in SRM spread.

Etc...)

What is the penalty of IS mechs, when they lose their side torso while using a xl-engine?
How much damage IS LRM are doing within min range?
How big are IS SSRM launchers and how many SSRM can IS mechs boat?

Shall I go on?

You call yourself a clan pilot but you should feel ashamed for what you are saying here.

#11 Rattler85

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:28 AM

If an IS mech with an XL engine loses a side torso it is destroyed. If a clan mech loses a single side torso it does not fall. If a clan mech loses both side torsos it will die (Correct me if I am wrong on this last part).

#12 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:04 AM

Hellbringer is meta for CW not only because of ECM, but also because of its effectiveness per ton. The Timber Wolf is stronger, but not as much stronger for the extra tonnage it requires. Thus Hellbringer may not necessarily be your mech of choice for standard drops, solo or group queue - but you'll use it a lot in CW.

Adder-Prime with twin LPLAS is extremely strong per ton if you can play it right, but the skill floor for effectiveness is high.

Skip the Mistlynx.

In the games I've been in Mad Dogs are next to never killed by side torso destruction. It's almost always centre torso, which can be helped by shifting the majority of CT armor to front. Your games may vary.

Ice Ferret is a mainstay of the Ice Ferret Rush.

Summoner is less prone to the overheats most clan mechs have, but you need to be good at streaming the projectiles.

Basically if you want to LRM a lot, get the Mad Dog. If you want to try long range backsniping, Adder. If you want to CW, get the Hellbringer.

Stay off the Gargoyle for now. It's not worth the money the way things are - it's not viable enough to be serious, it's not bad enough to prove a point.

Edited by Hayashi, 18 March 2015 - 03:05 AM.

#13 Archie4Strings

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 659 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:08 AM

I suggest the Hellbringer, the Mad Dog or the Summoner.
Lately i bought a Variant of the Summoner, the Warhawk and the Hellbringer!

The Warhark is actually really not as strong as i expected it to be. Maybe its because i mainly play mobile heavy mechs (such as summoner, dragon, timber wolf...)
The summoner is great! It has a lack of tonnage for weapons, but you can make many different builts with the omnipods. Nice hard points in general. Doesnt matter if you prefer missiles, ballistic or energy. It makes a good brawler!

Hellbringer is like summoner. No jump jets, but ECM. Got like 2-3 tons more for weapon and nice hardpoints too!
How ever i sold mine and decided to focus on the summoner.

Mad Dog should be pretty good, too. Just never played it.

#14 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:15 AM

It's been a good choice.
You can play it as tier1, but there are so many possible loadouts that you can play it as sub-par mech, or even troll mech.

Garg has too few tons and hardpoints, so it's quite boring (depending on if you like mechlabbing)

Mad dog is quite meh.... every loadout/role you can design, the stormcrow can do it better.

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 18 March 2015 - 03:15 AM.

#15 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:26 PM

I've got 252 mil and am waiting for sales of Clan mechs.

#16 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:39 PM

I agree with Grimlich Johns. Wait for them to go on sale.

You'll run through that cash in a hurry doing upgrades and weapon changes.

#17 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:56 PM

1. Stormcrow
2. Timberwolf
3. Hellbringer
4. Direwolf
5. Maddog

Can't really go wrong.