Any Usable Zeu?

82 replies to this topic

#1 Haviland Tuf

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:41 AM

For me so far the ZEU is a complete waist of time and money.

Huge torso with subpar hardpoints and completly unusable quirks.

#2 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:53 AM

Post the "unusable" builds that you've attempted so far, and someone will help you improve them.

#3 Thunderchild

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:57 AM

What I've tried so far:

Assault support
Fist of Doom
Sniper Support

Gotta say that Fist of Doom is the best choice even tho it's slowest and sniper support can get a hefty 850+ range on larges.

#4 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:10 AM

You could maybe try this modification:

ZEU-6T Modified

I don't own a Zeus so I don't know how the mech handles, but this modification maximizes close-range firepower for a great ambush/brawler type mech. It's got a pretty decent alpha at 67.70 dmg. You can swap the Large Pulse for a PPC when you need it, and if you don't want artemis on your srms that would free up enough tonnage to convert one of the medium pulse lasers to a large laser.

Edited by Repasy, 18 March 2015 - 07:18 AM.

#5 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:12 AM

Oh wow, I'm revoking your Steiner card for this one. The Zeus is like an 80 ton Tbolt and has been waaaaaay more effective than I was thinking it would be. I ground through Basics in my first one in about two hours (including the 30 minutes or so I took for lunch) getting a rather obscene 1.67 KDR with a virgin mech.

So when breaking in a new mech, since quirks rolled out, I'll usually build around the quirks first, then go from there.

That said, this thing feels like a brawler, so I've been building it around a STD engine. Here's the two builds I've been running and both have been pretty effective. Of course, you'll have to change it up for your style:

ZEU-6S
This one takes advantage of the AC5 quirks by having two of them. Backing it up are a rather nasty 4 MPLs. Like Victors and other similar builds, you can just hold down the AC5 key and call it good - I've only lost that left-hook arm once. Still, those MPLs deliver a really strong 24 pinpoint strike. You need to be a little careful as doing this too often will overheat you fast, but just switch to your AC5s to cool down, or go to chain fire for a minute or two. Your right side is basically just a big shield.

ZEU-6T
The 100yd killer. PPC in the left arm to poke at range and take advantage of this mech's quirks. The right hook is nasty with 3 SRM4s, and this is backed up by 3MLs should the fight go long. I tossed an XL in this one just to see how the Zeus runs one. So far, so good, but I might go to a STD once I get Speed Tweak.

ZEU-9S
This one's just theory-crafted and, again, that left arm is designed to take advantage of both the current meta and this mech's quirks. I haven't run this yet, but this seems like it would be a pretty good build. I might flip the MLs and ERLLs (moving the ERLLs to the torso), but the overall idea will be the same.

Edited by Dawnstealer, 18 March 2015 - 07:13 AM.

#6 GenJack

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:14 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 18 March 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

Oh wow, I'm revoking your Steiner card for this one. The Zeus is like an 80 ton Tbolt and has been waaaaaay more effective than I was thinking it would be. I ground through Basics in my first one in about two hours (including the 30 minutes or so I took for lunch) getting a rather obscene 1.67 KDR with a virgin mech.

So when breaking in a new mech, since quirks rolled out, I'll usually build around the quirks first, then go from there.

That said, this thing feels like a brawler, so I've been building it around a STD engine. Here's the two builds I've been running and both have been pretty effective. Of course, you'll have to change it up for your style:

ZEU-6S
This one takes advantage of the AC5 quirks by having two of them. Backing it up are a rather nasty 4 MPLs. Like Victors and other similar builds, you can just hold down the AC5 key and call it good - I've only lost that left-hook arm once. Still, those MPLs deliver a really strong 24 pinpoint strike. You need to be a little careful as doing this too often will overheat you fast, but just switch to your AC5s to cool down, or go to chain fire for a minute or two. Your right side is basically just a big shield.

ZEU-6T
The 100yd killer. PPC in the left arm to poke at range and take advantage of this mech's quirks. The right hook is nasty with 3 SRM4s, and this is backed up by 3MLs should the fight go long. I tossed an XL in this one just to see how the Zeus runs one. So far, so good, but I might go to a STD once I get Speed Tweak.

ZEU-9S
This one's just theory-crafted and, again, that left arm is designed to take advantage of both the current meta and this mech's quirks. I haven't run this yet, but this seems like it would be a pretty good build. I might flip the MLs and ERLLs (moving the ERLLs to the torso), but the overall idea will be the same.

I second Dawnstealer motion to revoke Steiner card!

#7 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:17 AM

View PostRepasy, on 18 March 2015 - 07:10 AM, said:

ZEU-6T Modified

That stock armor...ouch!

Changed it up to bump up the armor to more sane levels :lol:

#8 BerserX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 424 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:20 AM

View PostRepasy, on 18 March 2015 - 07:10 AM, said:

ZEU-6T Modified

I'm looking at the same thing almost in Smurfy, except with the PPC and medium lasers in place of the medium pulse lasers.

EDIT: After noticing what Voivode pointed out, I'd like to say I am NOT running stock armor. LOL.

Oh wow, I'm revoking your Steiner card for this one.

This is funny. :lol:

Edited by BerserX, 18 March 2015 - 07:21 AM.

#9 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:30 AM

I feel he tanks like a champ.
Its a 80 ton assault so you cant expect to facecheck 100 ton assaults.
Also had trouble with lights swarming me, but i guess thats the nature of not elited.
Quirks are nothing special but hes perfectly fine.

Guess you are used to clan mechs? yes clan mechs are OP compare him to IS mechs

#10 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:31 AM

View PostVoivode, on 18 March 2015 - 07:17 AM, said:

That stock armor...ouch!

Changed it up to bump up the armor to more sane levels :lol:

In that case:

ZEU-6T Mod2

Downgrade of all pulse lasers to beam allows enough tonnage to nearly maximize armor, while keeping all 5 tons of ammo and adding a CASE for extra precautions. If 4 tons of ammo is enough for you, you can swap 1 ton of ammo for another heat sink like in your example.

In any case, that 6T model is NOICE!

The other two variants are meh, only one missile hardpoint on an assault mech is not too helpful. I like to either invest in hardcore missile boating or focus entirely on direct-fire weapons. One single lrm15/20 is a bit of a waste of space to me, I would much rather just mount another large laser in that arm. Or use the arm as a shield... I have a feeling that's why a lot of people have been saying this guy pilots like an overweight Centurion.

When not facing a 6T, I'll be making sure to aim at the center-right, ignoring the more-than-likely completely unused portion of the mech.

Edited by Repasy, 18 March 2015 - 07:41 AM.

#11 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:40 AM

View Postdeanon, on 18 March 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

I feel he tanks like a champ.
Its a 80 ton assault so you cant expect to facecheck 100 ton assaults.

It's pretty crazily tanky - I've solo'd two Crabs and took down a Whale (allllllmost) solo.

#12 Capnflintlock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:29 AM

The resistance one seems like it was built to be a sniper edit: (long range harrasser). I left the LRM 15 in its right arm, tore out the medium lasers, and replaced them with 2 ER large lasers in the left torso, and dropped an AC5 on its left arm. 3 tons of ammo for both the lrms and ac5, and I gave it 15 DHS to keep it cool. All of this while mounting a standard 325 engine and max, or near max armor, cant remember.

I couldn't find a decent slugging build, so I just decided to opt for all long range. It deals decent enough damage, and it stays pretty cool, even when firing everything non stop. To get the most damage, you'll have to face tank a lot, but if you're far away, and not the first one engaging, that won't be much of an issue. I've been getting 400-600 damage games with it, so it works fairly well. I'm considering dropping the standard engine to go for an XL, to mount an additional ER large laser, but I'm still experimenting. So far though I'm liking the mech, and it has a sunroof. Can't beat that man

Edited by Capnflintlock, 18 March 2015 - 09:31 AM.

#13 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:29 PM

XL390 and 3 Lpls. Speed, reach, punch. Add DHS and complimentary weapons of your choice.

#14 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:12 PM

I've only tried the resistance variant, but so far I really like 2 ac 5's, 1 lpl, 3 mL's, and a std 320 with the entire right side of the mech for absorbing damage.

#15 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:20 PM

ZEU-9S

Screw the quirks!
Believe it or not, my zeu-9S has k/d ratio= 3

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...417a5fceb8c6a50

MUST WUB

#16 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:59 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 18 March 2015 - 11:20 PM, said:

Screw the quirks!

MUST WUB

This is faster, better armoured, cooler and the weapons are all grouped by type. Makes it easier to manage that the single Mpulse in the torso and single LPulse in the arm.

Looks like a really fun build, just swapped Ferro for Endo as it frees up more tonnage.

#17 Thunderchild

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:18 AM

When you really need to be pain in CW-s and they forgot to bring their ECM-s.

ZEU-6T

#18 goatreich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 105 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:23 AM

My Resistance Zeus packs 3 LL, 1Gauss and a use right side to shield
The 9S uses 3 ERLL and 3 ML
The 6T I am a bit lost still. Using 3 LL 3SRM4 but it's nothing to write home about.

#19 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:45 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 18 March 2015 - 11:20 PM, said:

Screw the quirks!

MUST WUB

Cooldown quirks are generic on the Zeus, you're not losing much.

#20 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:09 AM

View PostMacksheen, on 19 March 2015 - 04:45 AM, said:

Cooldown quirks are generic on the Zeus, you're not losing much.

I was referring to er-ll quirks in 9S. Much fun with LPL, and it seems to me even more effective.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users