Avast Ye Pirates...actually No Wait, Let's Be Friends!

5 replies to this topic

#1 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:21 PM

http://uk.ign.com/ar...d-windows-users

:huh: :ph34r:

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:30 PM

The news was at first aimed at the chinese market. Microsoft later declared, towards a german online IT news site, that it also applies to the rest of the world.

So everyone worldwide with a pirated copy of 7, 8 or 8.1 will be able to make their licence legal at no cost.

On another front for Win10 MS declared to respect the various levels of privacy concerns and functionaltiy desires on different markets and adjust some of their features with the new OS accordingly. (Sorry, I could only find a german article about it, as this is one of those markets. As soon as I find an english one I'll link it.)

#3 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:26 PM

http://www.windowsce...version-windows

#4 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:27 PM

The article Lord Letto linked is updated with a new statement by Microsoft

"We have always been committed to ensuring that customers have the best Windows experience possible. With Windows 10, although non-Genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. Non-Genuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed, or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered non-genuine or mis-licensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mis-licensed after the upgrade."

So an unlicensed copy will stay an unlicensed copy, even with the update to Win10.

#5 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostEgomane, on 19 March 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

The article Lord Letto linked is updated with a new statement by Microsoft

So an unlicensed copy will stay an unlicensed copy, even with the update to Win10.

hmmm.

I can understand this, it just makes sense.

But then why allow pirate versions to upgrade, the only reason can be cost cutting measures for reduced support to 7/8

#6 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:40 PM

It doesn't make sense when the first statement was, that MS wants to create foothold on the chinese market, to re-engage with with those pirate copy users there. How does MS connect to them, when they still run an illegal copy?

I could understand the reason if they want to cut support costs for 7/8/8.1, but with those system still in prime and extended support for a while, I don't see that either.

My guess is that MS wants to get numbers as to how many users really are running such a windows version. Current rumors for china tend to be between 75 and 90 %. They could then create a campaign for china to promote properly licensed systems.

It's also possible that the update will disable or break possible cracks or self created activation servers in some way, forcing the systems back into low function mode. But this would again go against the first press statement as they would probably further alienate the users instead of connecting to them.

I'm really confused right right now!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users