69 replies to this topic

#1 Garrond

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:25 AM

I just tried to figure out which one of those two might be the better scout regarding my preferences and what I've heard from current developments in MWO. But I just can't decide without some more info.

Both mechs have the same tonnage and the same max armor.
Jenner is faster, well armed and features jump jets.
Raven is well armored and features sensor upgrades (ECM & BAP).

As far as I know you can easily adjust armor, weapons and reactor (thus speed) via mechlab. So both mechs are potentially equal regarding those stats.

So it comes down to one question:
1) Can ECM, BAP and jumpjets, too, be added via mechlab to both mechs (Jenner/Raven)?

Furthermore I got some general questions regarding scouting:

2) How much will speed help a scout to survive on the battlefield?
3) What's your suggested minimum speed for a scout in MWO?
4) Will a scout still earn good money in a match with only a very weak armament?

Regarding my last question:
Given it is possible, I'll try to build a ~120 km/h raven with jumpjets, sensor upgrades and heavy armor. In order to do so most weapons would need to perish.

#2 VagGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:46 AM

i believe when comparing the jenner/raven it basically comes down weapons vs electronics (at least in the basic variants). jenner is better armed and a bit faster while raven packs all that electronic stuff. im pretty sure that in the mechlab you can make the adjustments you want and bring the chassis closer to your playing style, but there could be limitations for example i dont know if the jenner will be a able to pack all the electronics raven does or if the raven will be able to have jj (though i think there is variant that does).

scouts will rely on speed and small size for survival so anything around 100km/h and above would be good enough i guess...

#3 Woodstock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:48 AM

According to what we know of MWO there are only really two differences between them.

Jump jets.
Hardpoint layout.

Everything else can be customised. As they are the same tonnage ...similar profile ... the differences are minor.

However

I suspect that we will also see radically different 'module' layout which will make the raven a far superior scout.

#4 VagGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:49 AM

View PostWoodstock, on 01 July 2012 - 02:48 AM, said:

According to what we know of MWO there are only really two differences between them.

Jump jets.
Hardpoint layout.

Everything else can be customised. As they are the same tonnage ...similar profile ... the differences are minor.

However

I suspect that we will also see radically different 'module' layout which will make the raven a far superior scout.

on the other hand jenner can be a superior scout hunter...

#5 Vosgedzam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:54 AM

View PostVagGR, on 01 July 2012 - 02:49 AM, said:

on the other hand jenner can be a superior scout hunter...

I'd say that's for Cicada. A medium mech goes 129.6 km/h is a good choice for the lights-killing mech.

#6 Garrond

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:56 AM

If jumpjets need special model based hardpoints and ECM/BAP doesn't, a modified Jenner would suit my needs better then I guess.

Based on the video footage released so far, aiming with torso-mounted weapons really seems to be difficult for heavier mechs. thus a speedy scout should be fine I guess. ;)

#7 VagGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:00 AM

View PostVosgedzam, on 01 July 2012 - 02:54 AM, said:

I'd say that's for Cicada. A medium mech goes 129.6 km/h is a good choice for the lights-killing mech.

sure...but so is the jenner...i think they are both good candidates for that role...

#8 BbadAK

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 81 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:06 AM

In their basic variants they have different jobs. The Jenner is a harasser and support hunter, while the raven is a platform for electronic warfare and information gathering. If you want a straight up killy mech that also serves as a scout because of it's speed, I think the jenner is the way to go. If you want a scout that has enough armor and firepower to extract itself if it gets found, take the raven. The customization options later on have already been discussed, but as far as pure fluff goes I don't think you can beat the raven as a dedicated eyes/ears mech.

#9 Liam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationStuttgart

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

Raven got a nice profile, maybe harder to hit compared to Jenner

Edited by Liam, 01 July 2012 - 07:28 AM.

#10 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

actually one of the raven prototypes in 3039 had jumpjets.. but i say raven is the superior scout due to the better armor and electronics package, bap and evm are far too useful to be ignored plus...raven outguns and outclasses the jenner with its narc beacon

#11 4braxas

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCroatia (EU)

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

Janner is ugly as ****, I'm piloting a Raven.
Who are you gonna shoot first? Thing that's scary ugly or a unicorn?

Edited by 4braxas, 01 July 2012 - 07:38 AM.

#12 Temu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 133 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:40 AM

Jenner- hunter/killer. Expendable strike mech. lightning raids, strikes on command posts or supply depots. etc.

Raven- EW Dedicated scout/spy Sneaks behind enemy lines and FINDS command posts, troop movements, supply depots etc

#13 TheSassySquatch

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:44 AM

I would take the Raven, solely because I have never been a huge fan of the way the Jenner looks. Superficial, I know. But I do wish there was another choice for the scout founders mech.

#14 KJ Crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

View PostLightdragon, on 01 July 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

actually one of the raven prototypes in 3039 had jumpjets.. but i say raven is the superior scout due to the better armor and electronics package, bap and evm are far too useful to be ignored plus...raven outguns and outclasses the jenner with its narc beacon

I am not a fan of JJ as a rule, but a Raven +NARC beacons is going to make you very popular with your Missile Support friends. I think as soon as we get more details on the Pilot Skill and Modules we will find that in the hands of an inexperienced pilot, both mechs will be similar.... once you have gained experience and unlocked the modules however, you will find both fill their own niches.... Raven as the Scout, Jenner as a Raider... I think the Jenner is probably more comparible to a Firefly in role than it is to a Raven.

#15 Temu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 133 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:04 AM

Honestly... both are ugly... raven better.. but still ugly.

#16 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

Unless the Raven has exclusive electronics it will be pretty much worthless. The Jenner is faster, has better hardpoints, and can sport jumpjets. If it can also get a BAP+ECM, then there won't be any reason to roll a Raven at all. This would be unfortunate because the Raven is my favorite Light Mech. By the looks of it though Jenners will be picking on Commandos and Ravens come release.

#17 Glythe

• 1,566 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostBluten, on 01 July 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

Unless the Raven has exclusive electronics it will be pretty much worthless. The Jenner is faster, has better hardpoints, and can sport jumpjets. If it can also get a BAP+ECM, then there won't be any reason to roll a Raven at all.

In the same way that you can't put jump jets on a mech that doesn't have them I think it's pretty safe to say the devs realize the point of picking the raven is for the electronics packages. Most likely we will see dedicated hard points for the electronic toys. I can't imagine them doing it any other way or else as you said there is no reasn to pick a Raven.

#18 Lipot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

Even in some of the other variants, the Jenner is not a good electronic warfare scout. Given the speed and weapons, you usually find a Jenner running screens against enemy forces scouts while the Raven uses its electronic warfare package to provide more accurate information. While someone mention a Cicada as a better outrider/anti-scout 'mech, the Jenner out guns the Cicada. As others have stated, the devs have this under control. So your choice really is to deal more damage or give all the Catapults and Trebuchets all the targeting information to rain down the pain.

#19 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

as a raven you don't really have a responsibility to do damage, just get eyes.

i'll be looking forward to dropping all my my frontal armor on my raven filling it with small lrm's and putting a bigger xl engine in. maybe i'll drop as many heatsinks as I can too.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 01 July 2012 - 04:23 PM.

#20 Lord Ikka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

I prefer the Jenner just because I like having the ability to strike hard with my scout if needed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users