57 replies to this topic

#21 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:47 AM

So going from Clan mechs to IS, you're going to find they die a lot faster and their alphas will be lower. Typically to match Clan mechs, you have to go up a weight class.

IS mechs need to be designed around one of the following ideas:
  • Mobility - be able to get in, get out, quick.
  • DPS - be able to do as little facetanking as possible and torso-twist away.
  • Survivability - be able to take a hit and keep trucking.
  • Pinpoint - be able to let loose a single devastating alpha.
Unfortunately you're kind of limited with a "pick any two:" IS components are way heavier than you're used to, so it'll really come down to playing style.

On the good side, you have LOADS more options for customability and different mechs. There really isn't a "bad" mech out there, although there are definitely ones that better fit the meta. Every time I see a mech and think "that thing is totally useless," some pilot out there goes and makes it work somehow.

So take something that looks fun, seems to mount the weapons you like to run, and make it work.

#22 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:52 AM

Fast
Fire Power
Durability

You can have any two, for IS mechs, baring a few "special" cases....

For instance, for LOLz, I have a Battlemaster 3S that is fast and durable, but is under gunned... still she freaks people out when they pop her ST and she doesn't die right away. On the flip-side, my King Crab has oodles of fire power and durability, but lacks speed.

#23 Striker2237

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

View PostVoivode, on 19 March 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

If you're looking for mechs that are fun to pilot and will (bonus) make you better at the game by not covering up for your mistakes, I have a few suggestions for you.

Commando - Fly by the seat of your pants gameplay with stupid speed and manueverability. Crazy, but not Locust crazy.

Cicada - High mounted hard points and good speed for long range hit and run.

Orion - Hardpoints make it look like a mini-Atlas but don't equip it like one. With the Orion a little less on the firepower can net you a lot more damage.

Awesome - Bad hitboxes, stupid good quirks. Grab an 8Q and show a Warhawk how to fire 4PPCs at once without shutting down.

I think I might try out the awsome, I have the hellbringers and they were my first PPC mech and i kinda got addicted to the instant damage......so much less skill need compared to the LL on the MadCat

#24 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:31 AM

View PostStriker2237, on 19 March 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

I think I might try out the awsome, I have the hellbringers and they were my first PPC mech and i kinda got addicted to the instant damage......so much less skill need compared to the LL on the MadCat

As a warning, piloting an Awesome is like piloting a barn.

#25 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:42 AM

:blink:

Laser Vomit is the very definition of no skill required....

With the PPC family you have to juggle heat, leading the target, and hit reg issues...

#26 Striker2237

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:49 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 19 March 2015 - 09:42 AM, said:

:blink:

Laser Vomit is the very definition of no skill required....

With the PPC family you have to juggle heat, leading the target, and hit reg issues...

Huh....seems easier to me, my laser MadCat is much harder to pinpoint than my other two (UAC20 5 CERML and the other 4 CSRM6 4 CERML) with PPCs....INSTANT full damage to wherever it lands!

Edited by Striker2237, 19 March 2015 - 09:50 AM.

#27 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:54 AM

View PostStriker2237, on 19 March 2015 - 09:49 AM, said:

Huh....seems easier to me, my laser MadCat is much harder to pinpoint than my other two (UAC20 5 CERML and the other 4 CSRM6 4 CERML) with PPCs....INSTANT full damage to wherever it lands!

oh don't get me wrong, I like the Instant damage more than the DOT game play of Clans, it's why I sold my all of my non (I) versions, and bought IS kit, but yea, Lasers are the easiest weapon in the game to use, because they always hit, out to their maximum effective range, instantly. They are just DOT weapons, that with good twisting you can cut their damage done to 1/5th to each of your arms and torso locations...

#28 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

View PostStriker2237, on 19 March 2015 - 12:29 AM, said:

So I looking to get back to playing IS mechs, I used to drive victors and cataphracts primarily untill the glorious MadCat was released. I'm bored of driving it and my other clan mechs though, too easy and mindless at this point! 700 damage is my normal game........so anyways whats a good IS mech to play? I was looking at the orion as well as my old two favorites. Thanks

Orion is a good choice, Try this custom build:

ON1-VA Custom

Built for close-range shredding. Srms give you 43 dmg at max 337.5 meters (w/ quirks considered). Pulse lasers are effective within this range as well; they help punch holes in enemy mech's armor for your srms to wreak havoc on internals. Then you have the lb10-x with increased velocity to help pick components off crippled mechs at mid range while they're trying to escape. This build is a good mid-to-close range fire support mech for finishing off enemies VERY quickly, but you should stick close to allies as focused fire can crit your ammo supplies fairly quickly. Focus on enemy mechs that are already worn down a bit, and leave fresh enemy mechs to your allies with long-range support.

#29 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:21 AM

Was the second mech I bought in those halcyon days of open beta, have always loved that mech. If you're interested in getting them, here are a few builds you might enjoy and I have found quite a bit of success in.

AWS - 9M

AWS - 8R

AWS - 8V

AWS - 8Q

Anyways, if you pick them up, enjoy!

EDIT: Oops, forgot a link! :ph34r:

Edited by Voivode, 19 March 2015 - 10:22 AM.

#30 Striker2237

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:09 AM

View PostVoivode, on 19 March 2015 - 10:21 AM, said:

Was the second mech I bought in those halcyon days of open beta, have always loved that mech. If you're interested in getting them, here are a few builds you might enjoy and I have found quite a bit of success in.

AWS - 9M

AWS - 8R

AWS - 8V

AWS - 8Q

Anyways, if you pick them up, enjoy!

EDIT: Oops, forgot a link! :ph34r:

Thanks for the builds! I normally need a mech with one "main" gun and a bunch of med lasers to play effectively.....its just how I work lol!

#31 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:20 AM

If you like the main gun with medium lasers setup there's always the Cataphract 1X with 1xAC20, 5xML and a nice standard engine.

#32 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:20 AM

the quickdraw-5k.
it can tank like a beast (massive torso-jumptwist ability), can dish out alot of damage up close while always be able to just do peekshots above things with the 2 high mounted side-torso energy slots.

you have to get used to it and try stuff around. lots of possibilities on loadouts on that mech. not an easy to play mech but definetly worth it.

#33 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:33 AM

View PostCoordinator Aigis Kurita, on 19 March 2015 - 05:15 AM, said:

*sees you recommend this loadout for an LPL-quirked mech and makes horrified face*

Here you go:
Posted Image

#34 Striker2237

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:33 PM

View PostVoivode, on 19 March 2015 - 11:20 AM, said:

If you like the main gun with medium lasers setup there's always the Cataphract 1X with 1xAC20, 5xML and a nice standard engine.

Gonna go with this and the PPC spam awesome, I like how both of them are set up!

#35 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:20 PM

Get a Thunderbolt-5SS with 7 medium pulse lasers.

#36 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:33 PM

Or with two pulse lasers and 3 ER Large. =) 911 meters effective range. Sweet, sweet Clanner tears...

#37 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

http://metamechs.com/

#38 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:51 PM

View PostStriker2237, on 19 March 2015 - 12:33 PM, said:

Gonna go with this and the PPC spam awesome, I like how both of them are set up!

Here's a fairly standard build with it. Good compromise between speed and heat efficiency to back up the firepower.

#39 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:30 PM

View PostStriker2237, on 19 March 2015 - 01:12 AM, said:

Really? I didn't consider those as the firepower is kinda low as was the speed. I happen to have a Thunderbolt already so I guess I'll drag it out of the hanger, recommended builds?

How so? They have been out en-masse recently and seem easy as hell to kill in a MadCat.....

Can take the same load out as the timberwolf with extra weapons and less ghost heating, and has quirks on top of that

#40 Coordinator Toxic Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:55 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 19 March 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

Can take the same load out as the timberwolf with extra weapons and less ghost heating, and has quirks on top of that

Odd, I don't seem to be able to put C-ERMLs, C-LPLs, etc. in my Grasshopper, or a Clan XL engine (you know, the kind that doesn't make you instantly dead if you lose a side torso). Maybe that's just me!

View PostRichter Kerensky, on 19 March 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

Get a Thunderbolt-5SS with 7 medium pulse lasers.

This is a solid IS heavy.

Edited by Coordinator Aigis Kurita, 20 March 2015 - 04:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users