Good Is Mech?

57 replies to this topic

#41 Suzumiya Haruhi no Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 413 posts
  • Locationjapan

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:02 PM

It's true, the Grasshopper completely obsoletes the Timberwolf, expect to see it completely replace it in comp play.

#42 Striker2237

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:22 PM

View PostMechaNagato, on 20 March 2015 - 04:02 PM, said:

It's true, the Grasshopper completely obsoletes the Timberwolf, expect to see it completely replace it in comp play.

I can't understand how.....slower, weaker, less range, less firepower, worse profile........

Anyway, I bought a pair of T-bolts and the awesome 8Q (one with many PPCs) and have started driving them! Still getting used to everything but the PPC boating is fun as heck!

#43 Coordinator Toxic Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:22 PM

View PostStriker2237, on 20 March 2015 - 04:22 PM, said:

I can't understand how.....slower, weaker, less range, less firepower, worse profile........

Anyway, I bought a pair of T-bolts and the awesome 8Q (one with many PPCs) and have started driving them! Still getting used to everything but the PPC boating is fun as heck!

It's a joke in response to that Ghost Bear clanner.

Glad to hear about the Thunderbolts.

Edited by Coordinator Aigis Kurita, 20 March 2015 - 04:23 PM.

#44 GearBoxClock

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 19 March 2015 - 01:05 AM, said:

Grasshopper, that thing makes the timberwolf obsolete and with more jumpjets.

The Grasshopper is terrible

#45 Devorum

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:22 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 19 March 2015 - 01:05 AM, said:

Grasshopper, that thing makes the timberwolf obsolete and with more jumpjets.

Do you own a Grasshopper? They're terrible in every objective metric. All of them. I own it, and the hitboxes are bad, the hardpoints are bad, the quirks are bad, and the movement profile is bad.

But hey, that one variant gets an AMS range bonus, I guess.

#46 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:38 PM

Congratulations.

You're the only one that thinks the grasshopper is bad.

how does that make you feel?

#47 Coordinator Toxic Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:34 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 20 March 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

Congratulations.

You're the only one that thinks the grasshopper is bad.

how does that make you feel?

Congratulations. You're the only one who thinks the Grasshopper isn't a very mediocre IS mech, much less a Timber Wolf replacement. I look forward to seeing Grasshoppers instead of Timber Wolves on every team in RHOD.

Edited by Coordinator Aigis Kurita, 21 March 2015 - 06:37 AM.

#48 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

View PostCoordinator Aigis Kurita, on 21 March 2015 - 06:34 AM, said:

Congratulations. You're the only one who thinks the Grasshopper isn't a very mediocre IS mech, much less a Timber Wolf replacement. I look forward to seeing Grasshoppers instead of Timber Wolves on every team in RHOD.

RHOD?

#49 Bloody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 569 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:59 AM

For lights, Firestarters S, A and H and 3 of the Ravens are great, the 2x, Huggins and 3l

For mediums , i cannot recommend any over a Clan Stormcrow, sorry they are meh in comparison.

same with heavies, Timberwolves on the clan side outclass..everything.. if there was a mech you like to bet your family on, the smart ones would pick a Timberwolf.

with Assaults , the Stalker 4n and the Banshee 3E is top of the list, the rest of ok.

but here is the problem, to really get the most of your mechs you need 3 variants, which means you must suffer leveling up some truly **** mechs which is just a cash grind from the devs to "encourage" you to spend money.

for a newbie, the smart bet would be to get the timberwolf package, you get a best mech with all the bells and whistles, multiple play styles and all around goodness.Then once you learn the in and out of the game, you can then suffer playing the rest of the mechs

Edited by Bloody, 22 March 2015 - 01:00 AM.

#50 Striker2237

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:37 AM

View PostBloody, on 22 March 2015 - 12:59 AM, said:

For lights, Firestarters S, A and H and 3 of the Ravens are great, the 2x, Huggins and 3l

For mediums , i cannot recommend any over a Clan Stormcrow, sorry they are meh in comparison.

same with heavies, Timberwolves on the clan side outclass..everything.. if there was a mech you like to bet your family on, the smart ones would pick a Timberwolf.

with Assaults , the Stalker 4n and the Banshee 3E is top of the list, the rest of ok.

but here is the problem, to really get the most of your mechs you need 3 variants, which means you must suffer leveling up some truly **** mechs which is just a cash grind from the devs to "encourage" you to spend money.

for a newbie, the smart bet would be to get the timberwolf package, you get a best mech with all the bells and whistles, multiple play styles and all around goodness.Then once you learn the in and out of the game, you can then suffer playing the rest of the mechs

I already have all the timbers and hellbringers lol! I am looking to get some IS mechs for unit play but was unsure of what to get, thanks for the pointers though!

#51 Striker2237

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:03 PM

So I wanted to give an update, T-bolts have been mostly "meh" for me so I sold the set. Reason being was I was only able to get 3-400 damage each game. Awesome was so awesome I decided to get an atlas.......well more of just try out my free one http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bfe1aa26cf47d18

I'm In love

This mech is so UNGODLY powerful and strong its just flat out unfair! I can FACETANK direwolfs and LAUGH while doing it!!!!!

#52 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:25 PM

Try Banshees, the best IS assault IMO. Elited FS9-S with 7 MPL is great as well.

Edited by kapusta11, 26 March 2015 - 11:27 PM.

#53 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:23 AM

The Grasshopper is bad? :blink:

The Grasshopper is better than the Timber Wolf? :blink:

What?

I like mine alright so far, but hardly think they're going to replace the T-wolf. My Enforcers on the other hand... I can't seem to get them to function for anything. And my Panthers I hated at first, but gradually grew on me as I forced myself to elite them out. Except that one with the laser quirks. Probably going to sell that thing when I have it mastered. Haven't run the Zeus enough to really decide one way or the other yet, but initial results are promising. Still, nothing I've seen out of the resistance pack leads me to believe that any of these mechs will break the Timby's hold over people's perspective on the metagame. Nope. Nuh-uh.

#54 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:19 AM

If your looking for a decent Mech for Unit play, I've found the SHD-2H UAC Brawler can make a beast of a Medium. All about the Uac 5, one of my favourite weapons. I think the build would fit your one main gun approach (In this case, paired Uac 5s, doubletapped for a 20 damage punch at range. You can keep up a very heavy damage volley until you jam, in which case, cover time. Jamming is random, so sometimes you get a short burst, (othertimes you can core a charging direwolf, so yeah.)

With a standard engine your pretty tanky, and by downgrading the engine you have the tonnage for enough weaponry to outfight most heavies. Also long as you have slow assaults and heavies you can travel with them, and they tend to draw the fire, letting you be an awesome Wingmech.

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1faf1354d88235d[/smurfy]

Edited by Leone, 11 April 2015 - 11:41 PM.

#55 Striker2237

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:54 PM

So I kinda reversed my decision on the thunderbolts..........O MY GOD THE TDR-5SS IS OVERPOWERED

I mean the thing can carry 7 med pulse......and FIRE FIRE FIRE!!!!!!!

The thing absolutely MELTS everything! I mean my god its like I'm removing the armor in the 1st maybe 2nd burst then the 3rd KILLS what ever I'm shooting at! This thing makes my timber wolfs look like a joke! Not as much damage but the kills.....the kills are real! It PINPOINTS so damn well its impossible NOT to kill an enemy with almost no "extra" damage!

Not like the clan lasers.....always sweeping about and getting huge damage but not as many kills......

I don't even have ANY skills for the thing yet....I can only imagine what this thing is like with double basic heat skills.....

#56 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:46 AM

View PostHayashi, on 19 March 2015 - 08:46 AM, said:

Trying to run your SRM locust like a Huginn makes your results suck.

Trying to run it like an unarmored Oxide Jenner is pretty fun. Gibberling
Just ignore the wall of :excl:, the game just can't handle outside the padded box thinking.

Armor's just there for people who let themselves get shot at.
It's amazing what you can do in a light when you stop letting yourself get shot at.
Spoiler

For the record, I have no idea why pad or stick. None.

#57 cranect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:05 PM

Personally I like the orions for brawling. I have never been the most competitive but in my protector I am normally over 300 damage with a few kills. The trebuchets are also a lot of fun as long as you like LRMs. I prefer to use them in the 250-300 meter range and you hit and run. Then the catapults can be interesting as well. Yet again LRMs are good on it but so are other things. I like the locusts as well and the commandos. I have funky fun and themed builds on the dragons that I can make work well but ya. Awesome are well awesome. If you want any odd but fun builds message me and I can probably give you some since I have owned most mechs in the game before. Centurions and hunchbacks are always fun and I have used them well in CW too.

#58 cranect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 460 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:08 PM

Since you liked the awesome try putting an xl295 or 300 in the 8Q and load 4PPCs in the torsos and 2 ERPPCs jn the arm. It sounds really bad but trust me it is fun. You may not do the best but you can fire as many PPCs as some teams. Also before you die overide and alpha. Take that kill from them and maybe kill your target at the same time. Trust me just try it. I need to buy another for this person.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users