Master Of 3 Hunchbacks, Looking For Another Mech To Master. What Should I Get?

11 replies to this topic

#1 SunSword Page

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 11 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:01 PM

I'm the master of 3 Hunchbacks (G, J, and SP), and I am looking to buy a new Mech chassis to master.

I just don't know which one I should go with... I'm thinking a Heavy (TBolt), or maybe just going with an Assault (BattleMaster?). There are just so many options to choose from an I am terrible at decisions...

Please Help!

I cant remember why I chose the Hunchback in the first place, but I love the little beast to death! The G and J are my favorites hands down. Is there any other Mech that plays similarly?

IS preferred. Clans killed Battletech... I've never forgiven them for that ;)

I am also Free to Play as I am poor... CBills only sadly...

#2 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:17 PM

Tbolts, Jagers, or Stalkers are all good choices.
If this is your second mech, suggest Tbolt.

#3 SunSword Page

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 11 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:23 PM

Yup, second Mech Chassis (4th Mech)

#4 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:29 PM

HBK-4P is really fun too whether 9 SPL or 9 ML. Just a side note, your choice to get it OP. Same as GI now with Gauss quirks. Extremely fast firing.

Assaults are different from the way meds run, though some of the heavies are more similar to such like the Hunchback. Hunchback itself is great, and if you don't mind going for another med, Griffins, Wolverines, and Shadow Hawk (the latter is increasingly like the Hunchies) all work wonders.

But if you want a heavy, suggesting Quickdraw (although faster than HBK), Jager (different from HBK, more glass cannon like. If you liked the hunch aspect of the Hunch you might want to get Jagers or Catapults, torso twist saves em both), Thunderbolt (more similar to Cent/Wolverine than anything but still pretty alright to pilot, bit slower than HBK). You can try using Orions and Cataphracts, though again they have different roles.

Assaults play much differently than the HBK, with HBK being more supportive in a brawl than assaults leading the brawl. Victors, Battlemasters both run a bit differently than HBK but run more similar than say the King Crab.

#5 SunSword Page

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 11 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:48 PM

I went with the Thunderbolt 9SE. Seemed like fun. Want to work my way up to assaults... Seemed like a good stepping stone.

thanks all

#6 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:59 AM

View PostSunSword Page, on 19 March 2015 - 08:48 PM, said:

I went with the Thunderbolt 9SE. Seemed like fun. Want to work my way up to assaults... Seemed like a good stepping stone.

thanks all

Solid choice. The 5SS and 9S are the others to get, FWIW. Good luck!

(And by realizing that, yes, you need three, you're ahead of a lot of new players!)

Edited by Terciel1976, 24 March 2015 - 07:00 AM.

#7 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:31 AM

Thunderbolts are a fun mech, enjoy.

#8 Flagrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:34 AM

The Dragon is your next mech. Especially if you are proficient with the Hb.

#9 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:50 AM

Good Choice on that first chassis. I started with Hunchbacks too. As for your second mech, I'd look at the Victor (which I play regularly) and the Banshee (which I don't, but seems to be a favorite right now). For heavies, I've enjoyed the Cataphracts immensely and of course there's always the Timberwolf. Everyone has a Timberwolf. I have 3. they're good. slightly fragile shoulders though... or maybe they just take all the rage. If you want to go light, go Firestarter.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the Cataphract chassis is like a bigger meaner (but slower) version of the Hunchback. You can even set some of them up for similar loadouts.
CTF-1X

Not the build that I run, but you can see the resemblance. There's also the 3D, which is a nice Jack of all trades... Just playing with the mechlab and looking at the quirks. This is going to be my new build for the 3D
CTF-3D

I also run a Muromets, but I get the free to play thing, I'm primarily a free player too, so I'd suggest the 4X in it's place with this buld:
CTF-4X

Edited by Phobic Wraith, 24 March 2015 - 09:08 AM.

#10 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:00 AM

Well the Hunchbacks got your gunnery down, now how about piloting skills? For those I'd recommend either Dragons or Locusts, they teach you how not to get hit and still deal damage.

#11 Wabbit Swaya

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 186 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the cockpit of a BJ, annoying the hell outta someone for wasting a medium slot.

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:26 AM

What about Shadowhawks, all it's good hardpoints are shoulder high, mobile, plays similar to a hunchie, but adds JJs.

#12 WhatTheWho

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:13 PM

View PostSunSword Page, on 19 March 2015 - 06:01 PM, said:

I cant remember why I chose the Hunchback in the first place, but I love the little beast to death! The G and J are my favorites hands down. Is there any other Mech that plays similarly?

The most similar experience I've had with a mech similar to the G and J outside mediums is the Orion. The K was my go-to brawler and the M (or even the VA) was the missile boat post hit-box fix and pre-quirk system. Post-Quirk Phase 2, the M is now the go-to brawler and missile boat with the generic cooldown quirks it has now. The quirks surpasses the K at all levels especially with 20% ballistic and 25% missile cooldowns.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users