46 replies to this topic

#1 Dolph Hoskins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 499 posts
  • LocationThe Machine

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:20 PM

So I've ticked off a 30 day period of premium time so that I can finish mastering my Ice Ferrets and Mist Lynx so I can get in on some CW. I've run into a couple of concerns considering the mechs that I own, want to use, and the weight restrictions. I own 3 chassis of Dire Wolfs, Ice Ferrets, and Mist Lynx. All others are up for consideration and cbill purchasing.

My initial drop config was:
Dire Wolf (already mastered)
Summoner
Ice Ferret (soon to be mastered) plus I really enjoy this mech
Mist Lynx (own all 3 chassis, will master)

My thoughts on that deck is that I wanted to originally have a TBR in there but the extra 5 tons puts it over the limit hence the reason I put the summoner in there. I consider the DW mandatory at least for any defensive drops I may do.

Now I've considered 2 TBR and 2 ICF for assault and I think I would enjoy that build but my TBR's would not be mastered for some time.

My main concern is that I do not want to have a full drop deck made out of the mechs that I do not have mastered and don't currently own. I want to drop with a unit at some point but would hope that there is some acceptance of what mechs I'd like to use. Using nothing but TBR's and SCR's does not sound very interesting to me. So what would others suggest?

Edited by The Ripper13, 19 March 2015 - 08:38 PM.

#2 Jake Devlin

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:11 AM

For starters, using a Mist Lynx, IMO, is simply a way to free up the tonnage for your Dire Wolf. It is a "use at your own peril" kind of mech for CW. If it is what you need to use, then so be it. Best "bang for your buck" mech, especially if you are finding that the Timberwolf is simply tipping the scale too much, is the Hellbringer. Though an argument can be made for the Mad Dog, the reality is that the Mad Dog is fairly limited to missile-heavy builds, and that will limit your effectiveness in the long engagements that tend to rule CW

The most glaring reason for the Hellbringer is the ECM capability. Because it is so squishy, ECM gives you more survivability, and you will also be contributing to the rest of the team. Plus, it can be fitted for a multitude of roles: missile boat(ew), laser vomit, dakka dakka, light hunter, etc. It has plenty of room for a relatively disgusting amount of weaponry/equipment. So I think the Hellbringer is a VERY good investment.

#3 ClaymoreReIIik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 499 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:31 AM

2 hellbringers with gauss + er meds or 2uac5 +er meds, ecm mandatory.

2 stormcrows. 1 loaded to the brim with streaks, the other with Lasers. If you like an UAC10 and lasers.

First drop is a hellbringer. Depending how many o-gens you lose in the first drop you then switch to the streak-crow or direct fire crow. (If 2 or more o-gens are down, streaks are better, to ward off the lightrush that will most likely come.) 3rd Drop hellbringer to compensate for the fact that your team probably wasted too much of its tonnage already. Last drop is the remaining crow.

Have fun.

Edited by ClaymoreReIIik, 20 March 2015 - 07:33 AM.

#4 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:50 AM

2 hellbringers 2 stormcrows
1 timberwolf 3 stormcrows

3 mad dogs + something

anything else is basically subpar

#5 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:03 AM

as of now, best deck would be

2 Hellbringer (medpulse or Largelaser boats) + 2 Stormcrows (1 lazervomit and 1 Streak boat)
1 Timberwolf (lazervomit/Largelaser/Medpulse Boat) + 3 Stormcrows (2 Laservomit and 1 Streal boat)

giving what you have at your disposal right now, i'd say take a direwolf and 3 ferrets (with at least 1 ferret as a streaker)
it is not as effective as the decks above but you'll able to work with it.
Personally, i'd say keep your hands of the Lynx for CW.

* i run both decks above + 2 timber (medpulse boat + laservomit) 1 Crow (either streak or lazervomit depending on gamemode) + 1 kitfox with ECM, 2 ML, 1 LL
i almost only drop on pickup groups so the kitfox is for when there's no or to less ECM on a wave.

Edited by LOADED, 20 March 2015 - 08:07 AM.

#6 Dolph Hoskins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 499 posts
  • LocationThe Machine

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:03 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 20 March 2015 - 07:50 AM, said:

2 hellbringers 2 stormcrows
1 timberwolf 3 stormcrows

3 mad dogs + something

anything else is basically subpar

Dang that is disappointing...I hate stormcrows.

I'm starting to think I should just stay merc so I can actually field a variety of mechs that I both like and are capable.

Edited by The Ripper13, 20 March 2015 - 08:06 AM.

#7 Leeroy Mechkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 581 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:10 AM

Its depressing how good the TBR and SCR are.
When I played clan it was annoying to have that feeling if you're not filling your slots up with these OPmobiles, you are missing out.

#8 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:18 AM

View PostLeeroy Mechkins, on 20 March 2015 - 08:10 AM, said:

Its depressing how good the TBR and SCR are.

while both are certainly very good 'mechs, it is rather the point that there are no other 'mechs in that weightclass which are nearly equal as good. (giving that the HBR is as popular as the TBR while the summoner isn't nearly close to that)
same goes for the SCR. would you trade a SCR for a ferret or a nova?

#9 Dolph Hoskins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 499 posts
  • LocationThe Machine

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:17 AM

View PostLOADED, on 20 March 2015 - 08:18 AM, said:

while both are certainly very good 'mechs, it is rather the point that there are no other 'mechs in that weightclass which are nearly equal as good. (giving that the HBR is as popular as the TBR while the summoner isn't nearly close to that)
same goes for the SCR. would you trade a SCR for a ferret or a nova?

I've always chosen my lighter class mechs (lights and mediums) from the theory of light weight and high speed as possible. This has always played out for me very well, and in bringing that thinking to my clan mechs the Mist Lynx and Ice Ferret are perfect. In practice I imagine the Mist Lynx will be much like my Spiders which I have mastered and the Ice Ferret seems perfect for my tactics. I love the speed of the ICF.

With all of that I save my tonnage primarily for my heavy and assault.

In purchasing my clan mechs sometime ago I wouldn't have figured spamming 1-2 chassis would be the way of things.

Edited by The Ripper13, 20 March 2015 - 09:18 AM.

#10 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:54 AM

View PostThe Ripper13, on 20 March 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

In practice I imagine the Mist Lynx will be much like my Spiders which I have mastered and the Ice Ferret seems perfect for my tactics. I love the speed of the ICF.

The lynx isn't fast enough to compete against the spider (i'm sure you are aware of that) what makes is worse are the armhitboxes and locked jumpjets and BAP.
As for the ferret, the speed is the only thing it has going for it. Big legs for a medium and a rather tiny weaponpayload for it's weight.
As of now, you'll probably don't find what you're looking for your kind of gameplay within the current Clan'mech lineup. You might want to consider switching to IS for that.
I think you will probably be very comfortable with the WAVE 3 'mechs (shadowcat and cheetah).

Edited by LOADED, 20 March 2015 - 09:58 AM.

#11 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:02 AM

2 HBR 2 SCR and 1 TBR 3 SCR are by far the most optimized decks.

If you really hate the idea of having a stormcrow that much, I would say 2 TBR 1 HBR 1 MLX would be your best option... and just hope you don't have to use your fourth mech.

#12 Dolph Hoskins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 499 posts
  • LocationThe Machine

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:03 AM

View PostLOADED, on 20 March 2015 - 09:54 AM, said:

The lynx isn't fast enough to compete against the spider (i'm sure you are aware of that) what makes is worse are the armhitboxes.
As for the ferret, the speed is the only thing it has going for it.
I think you will probably very comfortable with the WAVE 3 mechs (shadowcat and cheetah)

Yes I considered the MLX is not as fast as the Spider but I take that as having to consider my rushes with greater care.

In your opinion do you think clan drop commanders would be requesting and or acceptable of mechs like the shadowcat and cheetah in front line planetary drops? I think I would still enjoy the game mode as long as I can use the chassis I have put so much time into, and I have no problem with adapting my loadouts for an outfit. I just don't want to be told I have to use 1-2 mechs or leave.

Edited by The Ripper13, 20 March 2015 - 10:05 AM.

#13 RedDevil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:05 AM

Yep. CW is Hellbringers, Storm Crows, and Timber Wolf's vs. Thunderbolts, Stalkers and Spiders/Firestarters.

Pick your OP side ^_^

#14 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:38 AM

The ugly truth is that Mist Lynxes, Ice Ferrets, and Dire Wolves are undesirable in Community Warfare. The first two can't carry a formidable weapons load out and the last is too slow for the large maps, especially when attacking. The Timber Wolf and Storm Crow are good, really good. They've got a generous amount of weight for weapons, pretty good hardpoint locations, are quite durable, and are actually quite fast themselves. Hellbringers are also quite popular for their ECM and awesome hardpoints. The Arctic Cheers is looking like it might be our first viable really fast Mech.

#15 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:39 AM

View PostThe Ripper13, on 20 March 2015 - 10:03 AM, said:

In your opinion do you think clan drop commanders would be requesting and or acceptable of mechs like the shadowcat and cheetah in front line planetary drops?

I do not think they would require it (giving that those 'mechs will be pay2play for a couple of months). We'll have to see how MASC will work and how the new 'Mechs perform. But comparing hardpoints and general stats, i'd say that the WAVE 3 'mechs will perform way better then most mechs beside the holy trinity, giving that the cheetah and the shadowcat both will mount ECM i think they will be either rear sniper or frontliner (for the ECM cover) much like what the Hellbringer is doing now.

View PostThe Ripper13, on 20 March 2015 - 10:03 AM, said:

I think I would still enjoy the game mode as long as I can use the chassis I have put so much time into, and I have no problem with adapting my loadouts for an outfit. I just don't want to be told I have to use 1-2 mechs or leave.

Nobody will tell you what to bring for Pickup groups, but most people will hope that you can actually pilot what you put into your dropdeck. If you decide to join a loyalist unit, i'm guessing they won't mind much either. As for competitive units, they might want to ask you why you drop with specific mechs while there are other mechs to chose from which are either more suited to do what you have in mind. or work better for the role your unit tasked you with.

Edited by LOADED, 20 March 2015 - 10:45 AM.

#16 Dolph Hoskins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 499 posts
  • LocationThe Machine

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:45 AM

View PostSeth, on 20 March 2015 - 10:38 AM, said:

The ugly truth is that Mist Lynxes, Ice Ferrets, and Dire Wolves are undesirable in Community Warfare. The first two can't carry a formidable weapons load out and the last is too slow for the large maps, especially when attacking. The Timber Wolf and Storm Crow are good, really good. They've got a generous amount of weight for weapons, pretty good hardpoint locations, are quite durable, and are actually quite fast themselves. Hellbringers are also quite popular for their ECM and awesome hardpoints. The Arctic Cheers is looking like it might be our first viable really fast Mech.

Thanks for the ugly truth, this is what I was starting to suspect anyways.

I guess I'll maybe buy a SCR...play around with it a little...get used to it's awkward presence.....kinda forget what I am sitting in when I am piloting it, and over time I may be ok with it.

I am wanting to at least experience CW battles enough that I can play along with the dull sounding meta for a bit.

Silly me though, when I first thought of what people may do with CW I was imagining clans rolling around in chassis that their specific clans used in lore that are available in MWO and all of that jazz. Funny I know :)

EDIT: and thanks for the feedback so far. This is helpful for getting an idea of things before I waste mine or others time. Much appreciated.

Edited by The Ripper13, 20 March 2015 - 10:48 AM.

#17 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:01 PM

DEFENSE:

A speedy mech if you are part of the QRF or a gen dropper.

A streak mech (for zerg rushes when your base will be swarmed with lights) so either a Streak Crow or a Streak Dog.

A Laser Vomit build would be good.

Lastly a tank.

#18 RedDevil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 01:57 PM

Well to be fair, Hellbringers and Storm Crows are common Clan Jade Falcon mechs :)

#19 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:10 PM

Try out: Timber Wolf + Hellbringer + Hellbringer + Adder. Need to have a few built so you can swap out depending on what map you get, but I've been pretty happy with this deck.

#20 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:52 PM

All said, though, I have heard grumblings from DC that CSJ really enjoy rushing objectives with Ice Ferrets and JFP has on a few occasions made use of massed Mist Lynxes for the lulz of it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users