49 replies to this topic

#21 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:06 PM

D-DC has a nice passive with ECM which is always helpful but requires a bigger engine so you can position properly. People are hating on LRMs but slapping on an LRM10 will get you some nice assists for minimal tonnage on any assault mech if you're not sure what to do yet. You can do large lasers and UAC5s/AC5s if you prefer longer engagement ranges though some will swear by brawling on it. Either works really.

Right now I'm just having fun with my King Crab and its 4 UAC5s and 2 MLs. It's got a 350XL (from the Victor challenge) and it gets me in trouble sometimes, but what the heck, the games where I plow through 2-3 heavy/assault mechs in a row is more than worth it.

#22 Warfarer

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:12 PM

Dont forget D-DC can equiped with AMS with make it the best support assault mech.

#23 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:38 PM

Urbanmech.

#24 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:29 PM

Battlemaster is decent, and fairly fast which helps with positioning. Been running 7 medium pulse and a Gauss lately.
If you setup an assault mech as a brawler, add a seismic sensor module so that you can ambush people around corners.

#25 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:16 PM

there is unfortunately no "best" assault, the Dire Wolf can have the most Firepower, the King Crab can mount the best ballistics, the Atlas D-DC is a rally point for your team, the Stalker, Awesome or Battlemaster make the best laser and missile boats, there are good and bad points to pretty much any Mech

#26 NecessaryWeevil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:52 PM

Thanks everybody, currently my favourite mech is my SDR-5D played as a spotter/sniper...probably not a role that works in assault mech! Right now I'm thinking an Atlas D-DC is what I want to end up in, but it sounds like a Stalker is easier to start with. Of course, that means it will be months before I get into an Atlas...

Also hear what you're saying about skills. Given the horrible games I'm having in my Catapult right now, I have a ways to go!

#27 Fire for Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 March 2015 - 04:33 AM

View PostLord Letto, on 20 March 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

Atlas D-DC, I have mine set up as a LRM Boat with 2 LL and a AC/20 for up close & LoS: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b8fe0e2b95b0d73
2xLL, AC/20 with 2 Tons ammo (14 Shots), 1LRM10 and 2x LRM 5's with 8 Tons of ammo (1440 Missiles), ECM & BAP, Stock STD 300 with 2 DHS in it & FF Armour, Extra Point of Armour in RL

OMG..... multiple Epic Fail....

#28 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:34 PM

I'm also with the Stalker for a lot of the same reasons. It's of the special kind of school where "fast enough, strong enough, flexible enough" are the gold standard. Add to that its superb ST hit boxes for taking in a direct fire engagement and you have one very capable 'Mech. That being said, the Stalker also has a unique set of weaknesses. The huge side profile makes you an easy target from a flank and with most of the upper area is considered CT you're much more vulnerable to LRM fire, making AMS a very important piece of equipment to have.

If you play the Stalker in a support role, it's biggest strength comes from being able to carry a varied loadout effectively. The stock 3F comes with w LRM 10s 2 Large Lasers, 4 Medium Lasers and 2 SRM6s. It's heat efficiency is atrocious, but once you are through with all the necessary upgrades though and have configured it's weapon groups for high heat effectiveness, you get a support 'Mech capable of engaging at any range and is very durable. You can stick to the back or decide to take point at a moments notice. Few things are more terrifying as a near mint Assault Mech arising from the back of the enemy formation to take point for the more damaged Mechs against an equally beat up enemy formation.

#29 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:58 PM

atlas ddc with ecm, ac20 and 3 srm6 and 2 mpulse is nice as long as you have 3 friends to carry you with long range support fire.

#30 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:10 PM

Just bring a Stalker if you want IS tech. Dire for Clan.

Edited by TheSilken, 24 March 2015 - 01:11 PM.

#31 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:15 PM

View PostGeist Null, on 24 March 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

atlas ddc with ecm, ac20 and 3 srm6 and 2 mpulse is nice as long as you have 3 friends to carry you with long range support fire.

it also nice if you don't have 3 friends.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d3c4ba466c30c73

Posted Image

#32 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:16 AM

View PostNik Reaper, on 20 March 2015 - 01:12 PM, said:

If you don't know brawling it would probably be a 6LL 4N stalker, it is easy to use, has great damage, moderate range and with torso twisting it regularly loses both side torsos before going down,

yeah this is the single best IS assault right now. fully setting it up isn't that expensive, either. like 12 million cbills.

the single best assault in the game is the 3 gauss Dire Wolf, though. it's expensive to elite and very slow until you do but once you reach the fight you drill through guys.

View PostGeist Null, on 24 March 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

this is cool for camping, just sit tight in a blind alley and some poor ******* will turn the corner with no idea you are there and you can reenact the mechwarrior 3 intro.

View PostWarfarer, on 20 March 2015 - 08:12 PM, said:

Dont forget D-DC can equiped with AMS with make it the best support assault mech.

do you mean ECM? because AMS is almost always worthless.

#33 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:22 AM

Cataphract.

"but biggz the phract is a heavy you idiot!"

exactly, assault mechs in CW are no es bueno.

#34 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:28 AM

View PostMogney, on 20 March 2015 - 03:02 PM, said:

I am thrilled to see any assault that is not boating LRMs :)

:( You made my BLR 1S cry. :(

#35 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:45 AM

No mention of the Victor ? all around good mech, cheap, can do a lil bit or all and in the 80 tons range its a good bargain. In all seriousness any assaults have their uses, just pick the one you like most then tool it to fit your play style

#36 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:16 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 25 March 2015 - 05:22 AM, said:

Cataphract.

"but biggz the phract is a heavy you idiot!"

exactly, assault mechs in CW are no es bueno.

I am pretty convinced that the Dire Wolf is going to end CW entirely once pubs figure out how good it is.

Edited by YCSLiesmith, 25 March 2015 - 06:17 AM.

#37 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:46 AM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 25 March 2015 - 06:16 AM, said:

I am pretty convinced that the Dire Wolf is going to end CW entirely once pubs figure out how good it is.

yes, the Dire Wolf would be excellent for "convincing" the attackers not to advance through the gates, however it only works well as direct fire support, so while it is great for e.g. making it extremely risky to walk through the gates in a Heavy or Assault it is next to useless in brawling range because everything (Atlas and King Crab included) can outmaneuver it,

that is most of the reason that the Timber Wolf and Stormcrow are better in most situations, speed and agility.

there is also the fact that at current there is no way for a Clan player to take more than 1, and it only leaving 140 tonnes for other Mechs, so you could take a Timber Wolf, Adder and Kit Fox or 2 Stormcrows and a Mist Lynx, ether way to take a Dire Wolf requires you to also take a less than optimal Clan Mech.
I suspect that is why Dire Wolves are not common in CW dropdecks while Atlas and King Crab are (the IS has good Mechs in all weight classes, while the Clans are still waiting for a good fast light)

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 25 March 2015 - 08:48 AM.

#38 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

if we're talking CW then a line of direwolves is really all you need. everyone drops in one and uses the meta setup and everyone melts. light rushes get owned, heavies get eradicated, there's no stopping it

as for drop weights, that's why I put the Dire Wolf's heyday in the near future. as in, when a certain incredibly good clan light drops.

#39 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:15 PM

View PostTheLuc, on 25 March 2015 - 05:45 AM, said:

No mention of the Victor ? all around good mech, cheap, can do a lil bit or all and in the 80 tons range its a good bargain. In all seriousness any assaults have their uses, just pick the one you like most then tool it to fit your play style

Till they de-nerf it better, it sits on the sidelines, stripped and so ronery. Well, they get to spend more time playing Backgammon with those crappy loyalty Atlas and Centurions.

#40 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

The Stalker was my first Assault 'mech to master (the c-bill variants at least) and I had a blast with it.

The Victor is fun with its two ballistic hardpoints in its right arm.

It all depends on your playstyle though so as someone else mentioned "there is no such thing as the best 'mech" for any weight class. I've spectated players who were in 'mechs that are rather decent in the field in the hands of other players but they couldn't target or manuever or focus very well so they seemed like newborn fawns in the field.

Also, try to keep the grouped weapons to a minimum for efficiency. That way you have an effective range and won't end up accidentally throwing SRMs/unloading AC20 cannons or machine guns at targets that are over 500M away or LRMs at targets that are within 180M. If you have a gaming mouse with more than three buttons that is then go for it.

Personally, I've felt more threatened by medium/heavy 'mechs in the field than Assault 'mechs 'cause of their mobility. But when a pilot has deadly accuracy using Gauss Rifles in an assault 'mech that's when things change.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users