Assaults

47 replies to this topic

#21 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:42 AM

View PostThrashInc, on 21 March 2015 - 04:24 AM, said:

There can be a gap "so big". If the MM can't find players near your Elo, it starts expanding to the point that at off peak hours you could be top tier quickscoepz and be playing with people barely considered alive.

If that happens then in the OP's case, it's not because he's "in a higher ELO" but because he's paired with bad teammates, irrespective of his ELO level.

#22 MerryIguana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 627 posts
  • LocationLurksville

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:48 AM

Assaults are still effective but all the damage flying around now has curbed them alot. Why move 60 kph when something going 90+ can alpha at assault levels. The worth of assault armor has dropped considerably.

#23 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:52 AM

I don't think its the assaults I think its the pilots, I see so many really poor Direwolf and kingcrab pilots these days

#24 XXXBunnyXXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 203 posts
  • LocationFar Far Away

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:15 AM

View PostDirkdaring, on 21 March 2015 - 05:05 AM, said:

This has to be a troll...

I have 1 Dire Wolf, it has basics done...

Posted Image

u dont do 800 dmg every game .. i played the dire (i have 1012 battles in it) and its preaty much useles if its not a dakka or gauss whale

#25 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:25 AM

Assaults are too weak... you never saw a King Crab mow down your team with Quad UAC5's or a Dire denying an entire lance at a chokepoint?

You never saw Assaults chewing down enemy armor in mere seconds, you never got punished by Alphas past the 60 point mark?

If you're team leaves you behind that's on your team and your bad positioning. How often did I see a Dire or a Crab go down in seconds because they think the can charge into the enemy team like it's nothing? Assaults need to be played intelligently, more so than fast mechs which can get away with stupid stuff. That's why I like fast mechs, truth be told, haha.

Edited by k05h3lk1n, 21 March 2015 - 06:26 AM.

#26 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:34 AM

View PostXXXBunnyXXX, on 21 March 2015 - 02:19 AM, said:

i have lights/mediums that leave me and use me as bait

you doing fine for your team as good bait then, nothing to complain

#27 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:26 AM

Posted Image

#28 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:33 AM

There's VOIP in game atm. Use it to ask for cover. If you're not a real moron, then don't make yourself look like one.

#29 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:37 AM

View PostXXXBunnyXXX, on 21 March 2015 - 01:48 AM, said:

in a higher elo no1 plays them you just get left behind if you try to play them ...i wish i was in a lower elo becouse playing assaults is just stupid atm

so.....
a Lower Elo than the Steeringwheel would be...the Gaspedal Underhive? :huh:

#30 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:43 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 21 March 2015 - 01:54 AM, said:

0/10 OP.

Agree, 0/10.
Absolutely no argument to support your statements.

#31 Dirkdaring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTwycross

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:43 AM

View PostXXXBunnyXXX, on 21 March 2015 - 06:15 AM, said:

u dont do 800 dmg every game .. i played the dire (i have 1012 battles in it) and its preaty much useles if its not a dakka or gauss whale

No one does 800 dmg every game, but its not as useless as the OP is saying. I'm not even that good in assaults.

175 matches, average dam 388. KDR 1.2

#32 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

View PostXXXBunnyXXX, on 21 March 2015 - 06:15 AM, said:

All this says is the other builds were not your cup of tea. Each player has a synergy a Style and that is how it works. I can use any of the Meta but they do not work for me.

#33 Adiuvo

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:37 AM

in a higher elo no1 plays them you just get left behind if you try to play them ...i wish i was in a lower elo becouse playing assaults is just stupid atm

Since you're saying you're high elo, what's your stats?

#34 XXXBunnyXXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 203 posts
  • LocationFar Far Away

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:20 AM

View PostAdiuvo, on 21 March 2015 - 10:37 AM, said:

Since you're saying you're high elo, what's your stats?

Posted Image

#35 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

View PostXXXBunnyXXX, on 21 March 2015 - 02:19 AM, said:

this "top" players of yours have friends to support them... i have lights/mediums that leave me and use me as bait

You should find a drop then.

#36 Funkmaster Rick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 184 posts
  • Locationis just an illusion.

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:38 AM

Some assaults, notably the Atlas, definitely feel like they're helpless against poptarts - unless your team is there to help you shoot back to ensure that the poptart loses whenever he tries to trade.

I frequently find myself admonishing my team for repositioning without notifying the assault lance. Many's the time I've spent a minute of hard fighting only to suddenly get rushed by the entire enemy team, glance at my minimap, and realize my entire team bailed on me and left me for dead, no warning, no thought to take a position to cover my retreat.

That being said, a good assault is really the backbone of a strong team. The primary function of an assault 'mech is to be difficult to kill. High-damage striking is a job for heavies and mediums. The fatties take hits. When a proper Atlas rounds a corner and sees two enemy heavy 'mechs, they'd better retreat or they'll regret it more than he will.

Unless an enemy light 'mech has amazing cover all the way up to my ******, I have find surprisingly little issue dealing with light 'mechs who want to jump my back-armour. The exception is during the heat of battle, when a clever light pilot allows me to engage one or more enemies such that I've got to focus the brunt of my attention in one direction, giving the light a chance to flank and stay on my flank. While I've always found it incredibly easy to engage enemies from behind in a RVN-3L, I suspect this was mostly due to poor piloting and situational awareness on the part of my quarry.

The issues I see in-game relate to poor teamwork (pub queue nascar meta heavily disfavours assaults, and the people who play nascar meta apparently see no problem with this) and poptart issues. The latter are especially pronounced with any chassis where your workhorse weaponry is installed in a torso; a PCP Panter can relocate fast enough between volleys to make snap shots incredibly difficult unless it's with arm-mounted weaponry. And even then, you have to be ready - the first hit's usually free, but after that you have to be making damn sure that you win on trades, or they'll keep at it while your whole team watches and eats popcorn.

All told, I think one does not choose to pilot an assault 'mech for its firepower or its heavy weapon mounts (Dyer Wool being a conspicuous exception) so much as for its endurance and its battlefield presence. If you pilot a fattie, you're doing it for the team. Remember, the tank part comes before the spank.

#37 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:14 PM

View PostPaigan, on 21 March 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

Posted Image

What he said.

#38 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:49 PM

Since I pilot every weight I can assure you assaults are incredibly useful. One of my favorites is a 360 STD Boar's Head.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...87917cb40d2e4d1

When it comes time to brawl I take out lighter mechs quickly.

Edited by Xetelian, 21 March 2015 - 02:53 PM.

#39 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:03 PM

they are the worst class

they are strong... bullshit
they can mount better of weapons than other classes ... bullshit

Ill give you that, Assaults really dont live up to their reputation of being the monsters on the field...its sad they are the ones supposed to be afraid of 20t light mechs....

#40 Something Wrong

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:05 PM

Based on your inability to type even a single sentence properly, your name that's only one small shuffling step from "xXxSm0kw33deryday420blazitxXx" and you highly generalized, detail lacking whining, I get the impression you're a generally very inept and very young person. I'd say learn to play, or in your language, L2P honestly. I don't know how you got a K/D-R like yours when you admit to running off on your own and it makes me suspicious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users