#1 Hayashi

Snowflake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:52 AM

After playing for a very long time (very, very long time, I was here before closed beta), and attempting to herd people in public drops (including the age when pubs were allowed to drop against premades), I thought it might be useful to actually explain some of the things somewhere - since you can't ask someone to use a tactic he doesn't know about, and there's never enough time to explain in a match.

As the complexity of MWO is very, very high, attempting to form a comprehensive guide will necessarily require great length. And great length tends to lead to great tl;dr, especially when most people will already know *some* of these. To keep things organised, this guide will be partitioned using overpowered spoiler tags - so all you will see at first is what looks like a table of contents. Unspoiler the region you need, and you can home in to whatever you don't know yet, while not wasting any time on that which you already know.

Section A: Building your Mech
Spoiler

Section B: How to win individual fights in a Mech
Spoiler

Section C: How to make fights unbalanced in your favour
Spoiler

Section D: Things you must never do
Spoiler

Guide last edited 22 March 2015.

P.S. Hir and ze are not spelling errors. Google them if you need to.

Edited by Hayashi, 23 March 2015 - 10:10 PM.

#2 ForeverN00b

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUnited States Navy

Posted 18 April 2015 - 12:38 AM

Good reading, thank you for the guide! You obviously put a lot of time into this, for the benefit of others.

#3 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 03:19 AM

Two things in the don't section raise questions:

• Never put double heat sinks in critical slots without first filling up all the internal engine heat sink slots. It not only wastes space, it's also less effective.

I may be thinking in terms of tabletop Battletech, but doesn't filling sections that contain weapons or ammo with heat sinks protect them against criticals? I am used to padding against criticals first, and filling the engine only once important equipment has already been padded with heat sinks.

• Never use Trial Mechs in Community Warfare. None of the trial mechs, which were designed for TT, are optimal in the MWO environment.
The trial mechs do suck, but since the regular game modes are pretty boring and pointless, I have played practically my entire short MWO career in CW matches, starting with trials. If you are good at teamwork, you can be useful even in a horribly bad mech, and are likely to have more fun than you would in a regular pug queue. CW is also a very efficient way to make the c-bills to buy the proper mechs for the CW metagame.

#4 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:40 AM

View PostGagis, on 18 April 2015 - 03:19 AM, said:

Two things in the don't section raise questions:

I may be thinking in terms of tabletop Battletech, but doesn't filling sections that contain weapons or ammo with heat sinks protect them against criticals? I am used to padding against criticals first, and filling the engine only once important equipment has already been padded with heat sinks.

The trial mechs do suck, but since the regular game modes are pretty boring and pointless, I have played practically my entire short MWO career in CW matches, starting with trials. If you are good at teamwork, you can be useful even in a horribly bad mech, and are likely to have more fun than you would in a regular pug queue. CW is also a very efficient way to make the c-bills to buy the proper mechs for the CW metagame.

The extra engine slots operate at 1.4x. Only the internal DHS operate at 2.0. This would be 10 at 2.0x for a 250+ and 9 for a 225, etc etc. If crit space is avaible, those DHS should be used to crit buff weapons and ammo.

Okay, I only glanced over some of this and it is pretty extensive. Wow! I like that this has some anectodal thoughts rather than a straight up manual.

I am curious, is this sort of like the first draft or is this something you have worked on for weeks+?

#5 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 April 2015 - 02:21 PM

Good stuff and i can see the hard work you put into it. It should be stickied because as far as meta goes this is the guide you should read first.

There is one thing though. I saw you mention lights as short range high alpha and long range low alpha.
What category do i fall in? I use a Firestarter with ER PPC, ML and 2 SPL or 3-4 SL's. 280XL engine and JJ's.

I call it the Jack of all ranges. it can do 23 to 27 alpha damage depending on my config which isn't far from a 8SPL Firestarter.
Remember all those times you had an ML laser boat and a good opportunity came along for longrange sniping?

My motto is Opportunity is firepower, speed is firerate and unpredictability is yet another layer of armor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users